chordtones

K1 Visa, we got married, what are next steps?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

After a long complicated process my fiancée was approved and entered the US on March 5, 2022 & we got married on March 31, 2022 in Colorado. The date written on her visa that we need to be married by is June 2nd,  2022(90 days from entry).What are the next steps for us?,  do we file I 485? Or are there other things to do? We have never received anything in the mail or email related to the K 1. Also to make the situation more complex, I am in the process of selling my house, closing on May 12, we are not sure what our next address will be, may stay with my parents in other state or in Airbnb for short time, will have a PO box. The community here on visa journey has been great, thank you in advance for your help! 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your next steps would be to:

1.  Begin joining your lives together: a) joint bank accounts, b) SSN, c) life/auto/home insurance, d) add spouse to lease / deed, car titles, e) obtain state id / drivers license

2.  Then use some of the above as evidence of a bona fide marriage when submitting the i485 (Adjust of Status) with i-864,

3.  Also file for i-765 (Employment authorization document), and i-131 (Advance Parole) along with your i-485 because its a free file with the i-485

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
33 minutes ago, chordtones said:

After a long complicated process my fiancée was approved and entered the US on March 5, 2022 & we got married on March 31, 2022 in Colorado. The date written on her visa that we need to be married by is June 2nd,  2022(90 days from entry).What are the next steps for us?,  do we file I 485? Or are there other things to do? We have never received anything in the mail or email related to the K 1. Also to make the situation more complex, I am in the process of selling my house, closing on May 12, we are not sure what our next address will be, may stay with my parents in other state or in Airbnb for short time, will have a PO box. The community here on visa journey has been great, thank you in advance for your help! 

You should have filed for her SSN before getting married.  But it might be ok still.  

and

18 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You should have filed for her SSN before getting married.  But it might be ok still.  

and

I fear the ship may have sailed on SSN since it'd need to be issued in the next 3.5 weeks - but agree worth trying while still possible.

many stories people change their address online AR-11 during AOS process and got issue with interview letter/biometric letter. just wanted to let you know, if its possible try to avoid changing the address during the process. Dont use PO box because for government card ( EAD, greencard) they wont send it to po box.....and congrats !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Im chiming in about your address change and uncertainty of your address in the future due to you selling the house: during the time I applied for I485/EAD/AP my husband and I moved twice due to the military in under 1 year. What I did was I used my MIL's address for all NOAs I received. Downside however was when it came time to attend biometrics, they scheduled it to MIL's address which is a different state from us. I had to change it to our current address so I could get the correct biometrics appointment.

We moved again same year and finally obtained the GC interview, and there was a bit of scrutiny in the interview about our frequent address change but upon explaining that my husband is military and it was due to his training/change of post they understood. 

Be prepared for any extra questioning during GC interview stage about the difference in addresses but otherwise put it on an address you can actually get access to - since they will schedule any interviews closest to that address. 

Goodluck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you everybody, this was really helpful, we went to the social security office the very next day after I saw everyone saying we needed the social security number. We were able to apply for the number using my parents address in Georgia and it has already been issued and delivered . We are going to be staying with my parents for a short time, and will be getting a apartment close to them, I am thinking and will use their address for the rest of the processes. I appreciate the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.