Tatiana S

Difficulties with making an appointment for a medical examination in Frankfurt for Ukrainians (k1 visa)

71 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Also, no matter where the medical takes place eventually, prepare to get your stuff in order.

For Paris personally I have to present my childhood vaccination record - original dated & stamped by the family doctor, as well as translation. Same requirements for the covid vaccine certificate, they want the one from the family doctor, not the international one with a QR code. Luckily that already comes in two languages.

They also warned me I need a tetanus booster, as I haven't had one in 10 years. Luckily it will possible to do during the exam.

I think that's about it. Every clinic usually has a list of requirements online.

45 minutes ago, chivaschivas said:

Also, no matter where the medical takes place eventually, prepare to get your stuff in order.

For Paris personally I have to present my childhood vaccination record - original dated & stamped by the family doctor, as well as translation. Same requirements for the covid vaccine certificate, they want the one from the family doctor, not the international one with a QR code. Luckily that already comes in two languages.

They also warned me I need a tetanus booster, as I haven't had one in 10 years. Luckily it will possible to do during the exam.

I think that's about it. Every clinic usually has a list of requirements online.

Did I understand correctly that you are now in Paris, but you will be interviewing the consul and the medical commission in Frankfurt?  Since all cases on Ukrainians were transferred here.  If so, my thoughts to you is to apply for a medical examination as soon as you know that NVC will send your case to Germany.

Also, when I was in Ukraine, I was told in the *official medical center that childhood vaccinations are not mandatory*. I found the same information on the official website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#8

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination. See Vaccination Requirements for IV Applicants for the list of required vaccinations and additional information

Timeline
Just now, Tatiana S said:

Did I understand correctly that you are now in Paris, but you will be interviewing the consul and the medical commission in Frankfurt?  Since all cases on Ukrainians were transferred here.  If so, my thoughts to you is to apply for a medical examination as soon as you know that NVC will send your case to Germany.

Also, when I was in Ukraine, I was told in the *official medical center that childhood vaccinations are not mandatory*. I found the same information on the official website.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#8

K visa applicants are encouraged to get the vaccinations required under U.S. immigration law for immigrant visa applicants.  Although such vaccinations are not required for K visa issuance, they will be required when adjusting status to that of legal permanent resident following your marriage. Applicants are therefore encouraged to fulfill these vaccination requirements at the time of the medical examination. See Vaccination Requirements for IV Applicants for the list of required vaccinations and additional information

I'm in Paris and will likely have my interview here, too. When I asked Paris Embassy if they'd take my case back in March, they sent an email saying "The file will be forwarded to the US Embassy overseas having jurisdiction over the applicant’s current place of residence." 

Frankfurt is just our official base since we don't have Kyiv anymore, so cases are transferred there automatically. But you can ask any Embassy, it's up to them if they'll take you or not. I've seen people on the forum get positive replies from Naples and Bratislava for example.

As for the childhood records...I read the same info last year but at the end of the day, Paris does want me to show proof of vaccination. Even on their clinic website they put in huge red letters that the visa won't be granted without adequate vaccination up to US immigration standards - including the K1. Which is why I mentioned reading up requirements in different countries, as they sometimes go in conflict with what is written on travel.state.gov. It sucks but it's what it is.

I hope that we'll get our visas soon without any difficulties on the way.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, chivaschivas said:

I'm in Paris and will likely have my interview here, too. When I asked Paris Embassy if they'd take my case back in March, they sent an email saying "The file will be forwarded to the US Embassy overseas having jurisdiction over the applicant’s current place of residence." 

Frankfurt is just our official base since we don't have Kyiv anymore, so cases are transferred there automatically. But you can ask any Embassy, it's up to them if they'll take you or not. I've seen people on the forum get positive replies from Naples and Bratislava for example.

As for the childhood records...I read the same info last year but at the end of the day, Paris does want me to show proof of vaccination. Even on their clinic website they put in huge red letters that the visa won't be granted without adequate vaccination up to US immigration standards - including the K1. Which is why I mentioned reading up requirements in different countries, as they sometimes go in conflict with what is written on travel.state.gov. It sucks but it's what it is.

I hope that we'll get our visas soon without any difficulties on the way.

About vaccines, because you are on that topic now and it pertains to medical. If the vaccine records are in Russian, do they need to be translated by a certified translator? Or can one do it themselves?

It's very strange, because I thought there was a 'test' they could do at the medical to determine what vaccines you had. That's strange to me Paris is demanding pre-proof of vaccination, all other clinics even say they'll just give you what you don't have on the spot. 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Timeline
35 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

If the vaccine records are in Russian, do they need to be translated by a certified translator? Or can one do it themselves?

They didn't specify whether they want a certified translator, so I'm gonna do that myself. I actually sent them a rough Excel table-looking draft and asked if that would be acceptable. They said yes, the main thing they want to see is the original vaxx record signed & dated by the family doctor.

36 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

It's very strange, because I thought there was a 'test' they could do at the medical to determine what vaccines you had.

There's an option to have your blood tested for MMR immunity but it would add up to the total cost of the medical. Here's some info from the clinic website for clarity:

What can I bring to the medical visit as proof of my vaccinations?

You can bring your carnet de santé (if you have one) or signed vaccination certificates/cards of all previously completed vaccinations. A signed letter from your family doctor listing your vaccinations and the dates they were given will also be accepted. Each vaccination must be dated and signed individually by the doctor. You can also bring blood test results to prove your immunity (for measles, mumps and rubella). Your doctor can prescribe the blood tests but bear in mind that the results make take at least a week to arrive.

What if I arrive at the medical visit and have not completed my vaccinations, nor written to you in advance asking for a prescription?

If you are not up to date with your vaccinations in line with CDC guidelines above on the day of your appointment, you will need to make and pay for a new appointment to receive relevant vaccinations. Bear in mind this second appointment may not be available before your USA Embassy appointment.

________

Note for your family doctor:
ALL vaccinations on our list relevant to your age are necessary to obtain your US visa. They may differ from the French vaccination schedule but are obligatory for entry into the United States.

________

Their information page doesn't have any exceptions for K1 visas (unless I missed something but I feel like I can quote it blind at this point). When I emailed them with some questions I specified that my case would be K1 - their reply about vaccination was within the guidelines above. Luckily they'll let me have a tetanus booster during the medical because I can't do it here on my own. They weren't clear on the price, but from what I get it could be free. So I'm guessing clinics could assist with some things on case to case basis but that would be up to their good will really.

Timeline
On 4/5/2022 at 8:59 PM, Tatiana S said:

Thanks for your reply.  In Germany, medical examinations are accepted only in two cities in Berlin and Frankfurt.  In both cities there is a very long queues, more than 2 months. 

I know that passing a medical examination in other countries was not allowed.  If something has changed, is there an idea where this information can be found?

You can do medical exam in any EU country I have already asked. See below

medical-exm.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike and Liliia said:

Great news! That certainly makes it easier for people.

Edited by millefleur

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

16 minutes ago, Mike and Liliia said:

medical-exm.png

Thank you. I got the same answer ))) 

Also, I have been checked on the site doctorlib.de if there were any free places for the most important dates and I was lucky, on April 22 there were three free places.  So, I advise everyone to check periodically, perhaps you are also lucky.

207127A5-F951-47D3-B0F5-B9111A15326B.jpeg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
18 minutes ago, millefleur said:

Great news! That certain makes it easier for people.

Yes, I'm happy to see that! This certainly clears up a lot of problems people have been asking about. One thing that does need to be clarified, however, is if the exam will need to be translated. If it's done in English no problem, but I have a gut-feeling it's done in the country's language and that could create some confusion down the road.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

4 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Yes, I'm happy to see that! This certainly clears up a lot of problems people have been asking about. One thing that does need to be clarified, however, is if the exam will need to be translated. If it's done in English no problem, but I have a gut-feeling it's done in the country's language and that could create some confusion down the road.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that all medical examinations for a visa to the United States must be filled out by doctors of any country in English, since this package with the results will then be opened by a customs officer when you arrive to America.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Tatiana S said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that all medical examinations for a visa to the United States must be filled out by doctors of any country in English, since this package with the results will then be opened by a customs officer when you arrive to America.

I'm almost positive they're all filled out in English, so the paperwork shouldn't be an issue. There may be language barriers at the actual exam, so if the patient for example doesn't feel comfortable answering medical questions in English, probably best to bring someone who can translate or see if the clinic can offer that.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Timeline

As mentioned above, the form will almost surely be in English only. To add on, don't forget to request your copy of DS-3025 (vaccination record) - you will need it later for AOS! They're supposed to give you a copy, but just in case they forget - don't be shy to ask for it.

I also urge those who will (relatively) soon be in the US to research what you need to do after arrival. For example, applying for SSN:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 4/5/2022 at 8:04 PM, Tatiana S said:

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need to stay here for a year.  since all my documents are already in Frankfurt and the only question is how can I speed up the medical examination

I checked your timeline to get an idea how long it took from the NVC approval of your documents to the scheduling of your interview, but you do not have a timeline. If you could provide those two dayes, it would be helpful in predicting what my wait for an interview would be. Creating a timeline with your dates would also be a huge help for others here.

Thanks

USCIS

4/27/2021 - Filed wife's and 18-year-old step-daughter's I-130 package online

4/27/2021 - NOA1 received, Nebraska Service Center (wife) - case transferred to Texas

4/27/2021 - NOA1 received, Potomac Service Center (step-daughter)

2/24/2022 - Expedite request (humanitarian-Russian invasion of Ukraine) for both petitions

3/1/2022 - TSC granted expedite request

3/4/2022 - TSC (wife) I-130 approved!! Sent to NVC 3/11/2022

3/16/2022 - PSC (daughter) I-130 approval. I never heard about her expedite

NVC

NVC received daughter 3/20/22 and wife 3/23/22

Case number & Invoice number received for daughter 3/21/22 and wife 3/23/22

DS-261 was not requested

Paid AOS & IV fee for daughter 3/21/22 and wife 3/23/22

4/1/2022 - Sent IV and AOS package via CEAC

Wife's payment status was "REFUSED" for several days but finally was confirmed

4/4/2022 - Submitted DS - 260 for both petitions - Requested NVC expedite 3/31/2022

5/26/2022 - NVC expedite approved for both - Cases sent to Frankfurt without review by the NVC

5/31/2022 - Permission to set an interview appointment granted

5/2/2022 - Received interview letter (P4) via e-mail 

Embassy (Frankfurt)

6/27/2022 - Medical done in Vilnius 

6/29/2022 - Received medical report sent electronically to Frankfurt

7/11/2022 - Interview - Approved

6 minutes ago, texastincup said:

I checked your timeline to get an idea how long it took from the NVC approval of your documents to the scheduling of your interview, but you do not have a timeline. If you could provide those two dayes, it would be helpful in predicting what my wait for an interview would be. Creating a timeline with your dates would also be a huge help for others here.

Thanks

I have a non-standard case, there were many problems along the way, starting from the coronovirus - typos in the documents through no fault of ours - refusal - appeal - victory in the appeal - then the war in Ukraine 😢.  I'm already afraid to say something about the future, but I'll try to make a timeline for you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.