Tatiana S

Difficulties with making an appointment for a medical examination in Frankfurt for Ukrainians (k1 visa)

71 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On 4/24/2022 at 6:22 PM, Tatiana S said:

In early April, I signed up for a medical examination for May 23, but on April 8-9 I was lucky to moved a medical examination for April 22.  The interview with the consul will be on April 28

Hi :) 

May I ask how exactly did you go about moving/rescheduling the medical exam appointment to a sooner date ? Did you just keep checking the doctolib website and saw an earlier date available or how does it work ? 

thank you for your help  :) 

Edited by Tisa

Just now, Tisa said:

Hi :) 

May I ask how exactly did you go about moving/rescheduling the medical exam appointment to a sooner date ? Did you just keep checking the doctolib website and saw an earlier date available or does does it work ? 

thank you for your help  :) 

Hi, 

Yes, I just kept checking the doctoring website

On 4/22/2022 at 3:36 PM, Tatiana S said:

I want to share my experience of passing the medical commission.  Maybe my information will be useful to someone.  The medical examination took place today, April 22, 2022. The clinic is located near the railway station.  We rented a hotel 10 minutes walk from the clinic.  When choosing a hotel, you need to be careful, because there is a "red light street" and there are drug addicts and prostitutes, it's very scary, read the reviews.  If you need the name of our hotel, I'll tell you, let me know.

As for the medical examination itself.  The main thing is that you speak German or English or take an interpreter with you.  Also now there is a chat in the telegram channel with ordinary people who are ready to help (If anyone needs it, I can link to this chat). You can arrange for the interpreter to call by video link and thus help.

First you go to the clinic and they give you a number and tell you to go up to the second floor and wait to be invited.

You go to the secretary, she registers you, asks you to sign a document stating that you agree to transfer your information further and asks you to sign another blank sheet (this will be necessary so that in the next office where you go to take tests, just compare your signature, in the same place  you will be asked to duplicate it).
 At the secretary you will need to pay a fee of $275. You can do this in cash or by credit card.

The secretary will give you an invoice to attach to your documents.  She will also keep a duplicate of the invoice and documents. After the secretary, you go down to the -1 floor, where they will ask you to give urine, take blood from a vein and do a fluorography.

After that, you will again go up to the secretary, hand over your passport and papers that will be given in the laboratory and will be told to wait for the doctor to invite you.

The doctor asks first about vaccines since childhood.  If you have not been vaccinated with TdaP (diphtheria-tetanus-pertussis) in the last 10 years, he will offer you to do it immediately or when you arrive in the United States if you wish.  If you choose the second option, then you will be able to get this vaccine only after the wedding, but until you receive the final documents.

If you had rubella and varicella, then upon arrival in the USA you will need to be tested for antibodies (my case) or get a vaccine.

Next, they will check your eyesight, ask you to undress to your underwear, take your temperature, check your ears, and listen to your lungs. They will tell you to lie on your back and check your reflexes, just tap your hands and feet with a hammer.

The doctor will once again ask questions that we answered when registering on the doctolib website (do you have psychological problems, have you ever had an alcohol or drug addiction, do you smoke or not).

This ended the reception.

Then they said that the tests are done in 1-2 days and sent to the USA.  Then the United States, when it brings you to the base, sends documents to Frankfurt.

Further, if the United States does not have time to send documents to your interview.  You take this invoice with documents to the interview.  This will generally confirm that you passed the medical commission.

The tests and examination by the doctor took 15 minutes.

The secretary was very friendly and eager to help.  The doctor did not ask any further questions.

My you completely, go every day to the site and check the dates of the apointment.  Since there are emergency dates for the coming days.  It's how lucky I am. 

Hey:) did you receive a CD with your chest x-ray at the doctor after the exam or just a vaccination sheet or anything else? Thank you😊 

Just now, myjourney123 said:

Hey:) did you receive a CD with your chest x-ray at the doctor after the exam or just a vaccination sheet or anything else? Thank you😊 

Hi, 

I received just a CD with chest x-ray. I don’t remember about vaccinations, we agreed that I would get the vaccines after the wedding, when I was already in the United States.  They sent other medical results and all the documents of our case in a yellow package along with my passport.  This yellow package was opened by a customs officer at the US airport. He didn’t ask me any questions and any questions about CD with chest x-ray.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
On 5/24/2022 at 11:13 PM, Tatiana S said:

Hi, 

I received just a CD with chest x-ray. I don’t remember about vaccinations, we agreed that I would get the vaccines after the wedding, when I was already in the United States.  They sent other medical results and all the documents of our case in a yellow package along with my passport.  This yellow package was opened by a customs officer at the US airport. He didn’t ask me any questions and any questions about CD with chest x-ray.

hi!how long it took to wait for passport with visa after interwiev?

Timeline
Just now, SofiiaYaro said:

hi!how long it took to wait for passport with visa after interwiev?

Exactly 5 business days in Frankfurt. 

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hello,

I went to the Frankfurt clinic for the medical and wanted to update the available information.

I specified I was a Ukrainian applicant. As of late June, they take payment via card only (American Express doesn't work for them it seems, so keep mind if that's the case for you). I paid 390 euros for the doctor's exam part, and will be sent a separate invoice for lab tests. I was told it's supposed to be 16 euros. I'm staying at an airbnb so I requested to send it electronically, they assured me it's not a problem and wrote down my email. So far I haven't received it.

Another thing is, US Immigration added Hepatitis B to the obligatory vaccinations list. They offered me to get the first shot during the medical for ~70 euros, but I opted to do that in the US. Now a little off-topic about Hep B - there's a standard scheme with 3 spaced out shots, which takes 4-6 months to complete. And then there's Heplisav-B, which is 2 doses within 1 month. It's FDA approved. It's also available in the EU if you prefer to get your shots here.

Hope this helps!

9 hours ago, chivaschivas said:

US Immigration added Hepatitis B to the obligatory vaccinations list. They offered me to get the first shot during the medical for ~70 euros, but I opted to do that in the US.

That might turn out to be a costly mistake if you are a K1 visa applicant.  If you don't complete your vaccine shots during/prior to your visa medical, your DS-3025 will not be marked complete.  If your DS-3025 is not complete, you must submit an I-693 for your adjustment of status in the US.  To get an I-693, you must pay a USCIS-accredited civil surgeon in the US.  Some civil surgeons will not sign an I-693 if you do not redo (and pay for) a complete medical exam.

Timeline
16 hours ago, Chancy said:

That might turn out to be a costly mistake if you are a K1 visa applicant.  If you don't complete your vaccine shots during/prior to your visa medical, your DS-3025 will not be marked complete.  If your DS-3025 is not complete, you must submit an I-693 for your adjustment of status in the US.  To get an I-693, you must pay a USCIS-accredited civil surgeon in the US.  Some civil surgeons will not sign an I-693 if you do not redo (and pay for) a complete medical exam.

Yep, I know about it. I had another shot (Tdap + polio booster) less than a week before the medical and was feeling the side-effects for quite some time. I didn't want to risk it right before the interview. Iirc there was a list of civil surgeons that will sign I-693 w/o complete medical somewhere on the forum...

Timeline

Another update.

I had my interview today, and the results from the medical didn't make it to the Consulate in time. The doctor told me they'd take 1-2 days. I went to the clinic right after the interview to ask what's up. Turns out they sent the results yesterday - so 5 days after the medical. It takes some time for the case manager at the Consulate to review them too. I was told to expect 2-10 days delay for them to be added to my file.

So for those who plan to have the medical in Frankfurt, book the interview at least a week after! I wasn't the only applicant with the same problem. Overheard at least two other people being told the same thing.

Oh, and if your invoice for the labs doesn't get in your inbox right away - that's okay too. They know it. It doesn't influence how fast they send your info to the Consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.