Nkp289

LPR to U.S. Citizen. Will lose job if I go see wife

37 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Reading everyone's response that Fiance visa was not an option since i was LPR does make me feel a little better. Takes some of the guilt off my shoulders. I had heard this from many people but they didnt factor in my LPR status apparently. And i didnt realize it was only for citizens. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

don't quit your job. accumulate some PTO and try to do a couple of short visits. tickets to India seem to be relatively cheaper than usual for a few months now. there will be light at the end of the tunnel, a lot of families just like yourself have been in the same boat immigration wise because of Covid.

18 hours ago, Nkp289 said:

Hello,

I recently became a u.s. citizen in March 5th. I had applied for passport and I have expedited my passport so that I can be with my wife. She has been living alone for 5 years now. We have been documentarily approved since January 2020. I just recently asked my boss if I can travel to india to be with my wife since she is alone. My boss replied that the company does not allow remote work offshore and this is against corporate policy irregardless of employees situation. My wife cannot live alone anymore and she cannot risk living in someone else’s house during Covid.

If I leave my job, I will face extreme financial hardship. I have a house for $650k and my monthly mortgage is $3.4K. By losing this job, I will ultimately burn through my funds while risking a default on my loan and my home could be seized by the bank. I have bought the house with my brother but he alone cannot afford the mortgage on his salary if I lose this job. On this grounds, could I expedite my wife’s case? If I leave to support her, I will lose my job and fear losing my house. This has caused me terrible anxiety and I am medication to deal with the stress.

No, you cannot expedite on financial grounds because you voluntarily resigned to move to India.

Separation is an expected part of the process when we choose overseas partners.

And who will be her sponsor if you quit your job?  Your brother?

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, Nkp289 said:

Timeline:

Married:                                           August 2017

Filed I-130:                                      October 2017 (looking back, finance visa would have been beneficial but its pointless now)

Documentarily approved:            January 2020

Request for expedite:                   January 2021 (denied)

Oath Ceremony:                             March 5th, 2022

Notified NVC of status Change:  March 7th, 2022

Passport expediated:                    March 13th, 2022 (received) 

- No acknowledgement of status change yet (3/22/2022)

- NVC is currently processing public inquiries based submitted on Feb 1st, 2021 (https://visawhen.com/nvc).

We had considered moving to Canada while she waits but this was during the first wave and the closures of Embassies made us unsure if its worthwhile pursuing that route

Congrats on your naturalization!  Chin up - you're closer and closer to reuniting with your wife every day.  Just make sure you stay on top of the change with NVC.  Your wife will be bumped from a FP category to IR.  This is important for her GC.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

"My wife CAN'T live alone any longer" has not even been explained.  Unfortunately, there's probably not any explanation that will make a difference.  She does not need to live alone.  One of your options is to arrange for a roommate of some sort.  If you mean she can't live without you, then that's nonsense.  If she needs care, arrange care and keep your job.  I don't see anything you've said that makes your case special.  Separation is part of the process.  How long depends on country and circumstances.  Other spouses waiting in India are in the same situation.  Maybe she could find one of them to live with or to live with her.  You quitting your job to go live in India with her is not the only solution to the problem.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

On 3/21/2022 at 6:46 PM, Nkp289 said:

Hello,

I recently became a u.s. citizen in March 5th. I had applied for passport and I have expedited my passport so that I can be with my wife. She has been living alone for 5 years now. We have been documentarily approved since January 2020. I just recently asked my boss if I can travel to india to be with my wife since she is alone. My boss replied that the company does not allow remote work offshore and this is against corporate policy irregardless of employees situation. My wife cannot live alone anymore and she cannot risk living in someone else’s house during Covid.

If I leave my job, I will face extreme financial hardship. I have a house for $650k and my monthly mortgage is $3.4K. By losing this job, I will ultimately burn through my funds while risking a default on my loan and my home could be seized by the bank. I have bought the house with my brother but he alone cannot afford the mortgage on his salary if I lose this job. On this grounds, could I expedite my wife’s case? If I leave to support her, I will lose my job and fear losing my house. This has caused me terrible anxiety and I am medication to deal with the stress.

I think you should speak with a lawyer for the right answer in this situation

BTW, leaving your job could make it so that you can not get an approve VISA.  You have to be able to sponsor her and have U.S. Income.  

Request expedite, and  write you congressman. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.