MarkPajr

USCIS wrote in a Social Security Number???

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

So tonight I was discussing the paperwork with my fiance as she prepares for her interview in Hong Kong, and she casually mentioned writing down her SSN on the paper. I'm like "What do you mean your SSN??" She says "Yes, it was right here" and shown me the copy of her i129f that the HK embassy gave her that has a SSN written in (I typed the application) in the SSN box right under her name. Throughout the document there are a few other changes i.e. when I called to update my address, but to our knowledge she has not ever applied for a social security number. Previously she studied abroad as a student in the states, but she does not remember having a number.

Where would USCIS have gotten this number from to write it in? And should she use it on the further paperwork she has to give to HK embassy?? I'm worried that this could cause issues later if it's not correct.

2 hours ago, MarkPajr said:

Where would USCIS have gotten this number from to write it in? And should she use it on the further paperwork she has to give to HK embassy?? I'm worried that this could cause issues later if it's not correct.

They wouldn't have.

And it is obviously not a correct SSN;  USCIS does not issue SSNs.

Either your GF has one from previously being in the US, or you've misunderstood something.

Timeline

I don't really think there's anything to misunderstand here. There is a number manually written in this box, that wasn't there when I submitted the application.

She was previously in the US, but only as a student on a student visa, and during that time she did not work here or apply for a SSN.

Screenshot_20220228-075901_Gallery.jpg

Edited by MarkPajr

Timeline
5 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

They wouldn't have.

And it is obviously not a correct SSN;  USCIS does not issue SSNs.

Either your GF has one from previously being in the US, or you've misunderstood something.

Also, I know it's obviously not correct, the issue is it's there, they wrote it in, and now I don't know what to do about it and am worried it will cause issues in our process when we are right at the finish line. She's planning to do her interview next month.

Timeline

If I call USCIS and ask about it, and they find it's an error (They likely won't admit they made it) could they revoke her approved i129F? Is USCIS even the right place to call or should we can the SS office to see if she did actually have an SSN while a student?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, MarkPajr said:

If I call USCIS and ask about it, and they find it's an error (They likely won't admit they made it) could they revoke her approved i129F? Is USCIS even the right place to call or should we can the SS office to see if she did actually have an SSN while a student?

Yours is the first case I’ve heard of where the beneficiary received a copy of the I-129F from the consulate.  My fiancée did not.  What USCIS might have written on the I-129F remains a mystery to me and after your OP, I’ve decided my ignorance is bliss.  

My take is you did not write that SSN on the I-129F, so you are not legally responsible for what someone else did.  She didn’t submit the I-129F so my take is she had no legal responsibility either.  

If your fiancée is certain she never had an SSN then she should ignore this SSN. When she enters the USA on her K-1, she should immediately make an appointment with SSA to apply for her SSN.  In the unlikely event the SSN you have is her real SSN, then if SSA is competent it will determine that in the same mysterious manner USCIS might have.  

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Yours is the first case I’ve heard of where the beneficiary received a copy of the I-129F from the consulate.  My fiancée did not.  What USCIS might have written on the I-129F remains a mystery to me and after your OP, I’ve decided my ignorance is bliss.  

My take is you did not write that SSN on the I-129F, so you are not legally responsible for what someone else did.  She didn’t submit the I-129F so my take is she had no legal responsibility either.  

If your fiancée is certain she never had an SSN then she should ignore this SSN. When she enters the USA on her K-1, she should immediately make an appointment with SSA to apply for her SSN.  In the unlikely event the SSN you have is her real SSN, then if SSA is competent it will determine that in the same mysterious manner USCIS might have.  

Yes, She received a full copy of the i129F which included many notes written down on it by USCIS along with her packet of paperwork from the HK embassy.

I think that's also the best option, ignore it and apply when she gets here, it's just a bit concerning in hoping that nothing is improperly filed :(

Timeline

I talked with a friend who went through the immigration process as well, and he suggested maybe it's an alien registration number. After reviewing our I-797 I can confirm it's the same number listed on that as AXXX XXX XXX. I'm not sure why USCIS wrote that in as her SSN, but I don't think it will cause us any issues since it's still a number associated with her.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 minute ago, MarkPajr said:

I talked with a friend who went through the immigration process as well, and he suggested maybe it's an alien registration number. After reviewing our I-797 I can confirm it's the same number listed on that as AXXX XXX XXX. I'm not sure why USCIS wrote that in as her SSN, but I don't think it will cause us any issues since it's still a number associated with her.

The simplest explanation is USCIS meant to write the A number in the blank field above. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The simplest explanation is USCIS meant to write the A number in the blank field above. 

Good point. Regardless, I don't think that will cause issues for us, so that's a weight taken off 🙂

I (the beneficiary) was also emailed a full copy of the petition with USCIS notes scribbled all over. It was really interesting to see 

As @Mike E said, they know that USCIS wrote that and not you, so I wouldn’t worry about anything. Make sure to schedule an appointment with SSA as soon as your fiancé arrives in the US in order to get your SSN in time. 

I think she should call Social Security. Their number is:  1-800-772-1213.  They should be able to confirm if she has a social security  number assigned to her. 

Edited by Diane and Chris

1 hour ago, Diane and Chris said:

I think she should call Social Security. Their number is:  1-800-772-1213.  They should be able to confirm if she has a social security  number assigned to her. 

If you have confirmed that it is the A number written down I would NOT call SSA. 

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.