DaisyJ

Problems changing address online after arrival in US

12 posts in this topic

Hi all! *Please move if posted to the wrong place*

For context: I'm currently in the US on a CR1 visa since Oct last year. I am from the UK and it's my husband who is the US citizen. I'm still awaiting the arrival of my greencard. 

Two months ago myself and my husband moved into our own apartment from his family's home. I changed my address online with USCIS accordingly and recieved an email confirmation of my AR-11 form request. About a week ago, a letter arrived from a USCIS office to our old address; we're assuming it's my green card but we haven't been able to pop back to collect this post yet. 

I have two questions: Did my husband as a USC need to update his address separately online in order for the online form to have 'worked'? And how much of a problem is this going to be when it comes to applying to have the conditions removed next year, if USCIS still hasn't registered my address change?

I've tried to contact USCIS but their telephone bot is useless, as it just keeps sending me to the link to the online page where I can change my address. Of course, if I was to re-do it, now it's well beyond the required 10 day limit to update my address I'm worried we'll get into trouble. 

If anyone has any advice, please help!

Try calling costumer service. People around the forum say that if you mention the word "infopass", you'll be connected to an actual person.

You can also try the USCIS chat and type "live agent".

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
24 minutes ago, DaisyJ said:

Did my husband as a USC need to update his address separately online in order for the online form to have 'worked'? And how much of a problem is this going to be when it comes to applying to have the conditions removed next year, if USCIS still hasn't registered my address change?

Don't worry about it. Your roc won't be affected. Your address change is registered but uscis is not good at communicating the address change with pending cases. Did you mention your pending GC receipt number from your immigranr fee payment while doing address change online?

Focus on getting the GC back. Use non receipt of the card from uscis online for next steps.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

6 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Try calling costumer service. People around the forum say that if you mention the word "infopass", you'll be connected to an actual person.

You can also try the USCIS chat and type "live agent".

Thanks for this, I tried using the live agent trick but it didn't work. I might try the infopass trick tomorrow!

1 minute ago, arken said:

Don't worry about it. Your roc won't be affected. Your address change is registered but uscis is not good at communicating the address change with pending cases. Did you mention your pending GC receipt number from your immigranr fee payment while doing address change online?

Focus on getting the GC back. Use non receipt of the card from uscis online for next steps.

I think I may have used our receipt number from our original I-130 application because I didn't think about our GC payment receipt number - guess that's where we went wrong! I did however include my A number so it should still all connect back to me, right? 

Thankfully our old address is my husband's parent's address so we haven't 'lost' the post that arrived, we just need to go and collect it; we're assuming it's my GC as the timing is right and the sending address is a USCIS office. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@DaisyJ

As far as an ROC  reminder notice, it used to be that  address changes never made it to that service. I don’t know if they send out reminders still or not. People who had the same address received reminders to ROC. Those who had moved, even with filing address changes, had their reminder notices mailed to their original address. Ours went to our old address and the new owner called me to say we has received a letter from USCIS. I asked her to open it and read it to me. It was a reminder. I told her it was nothing I needed so throw it away. Just a head’s up in case that happens to you. It doesn’t mean your address with USCIS isn’t correct. 

An earlier question you asked—

Your Affidavit of Support sponsor has to provide an address change as well. 

5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

@DaisyJ

An earlier question you asked—

Your Affidavit of Support sponsor has to provide an address change as well. 

Do you know how they can do that? The online option via USCIS goes straight to the AR-11 which is for alien residents. Also, will he/we get penalised if he attempts it now, well after the 10 day limit? The threats of fines/imprisonment/deportation for me are very scary even if just threatening language at best. 

Thank you for the other info! That's helpful to know that we shouldn't worry about it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
1 minute ago, DaisyJ said:

Do you know how they can do that? The online option via USCIS goes straight to the AR-11 which is for alien residents.

Form i865

2 minutes ago, DaisyJ said:

Also, will he/we get penalised if he attempts it now, well after the 10 day limit? The threats of fines/imprisonment/deportation for me are very scary even if just threatening language at best. 

Absolutely nothing to worry about. I want to believe they have bigger fish to fry.

10 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Ours went to our old address and

Same situation! Did the ROC notices make it to the new address?

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Rocio0010 said:

Same situation! Did the ROC notices make it to the new address?

No they never made it to the new addresses. It was like address changes never trickled down to that particular department. They say you are responsible to remember, yet they did mail out reminders. 

I didn’t forget, in fact I prepared for ROC for two years by throwing things in a folder that had both our names on it. And  the occasional photo as well. Then at ROC all I had to do was go through the folder and pick what I wanted to send and not worrying that I had thrown older things away. They want things dated over the whole two years, not just new things. (<——-That’s a tip to brand new greencard recipients.)

Edited by Wuozopo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

AR-11 are hit and miss. They may get updated correctly or sometimes they don't. That's why I'm not a fan of moving, especially when you have an underlying petition, wherever it's gonna take 8 months or 2 months to complete, just wait at your present address. The stress that you get from lost green card is more than just chilling for a year at an address. 

However, if you don't have any underlying petition or if you're planning to file another like ROC for OP, just file with new address. That should set things straight 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

2 hours ago, DaisyJ said:

Do you know how they can do that? The online option via USCIS goes straight to the AR-11 which is for alien residents. Also, will he/we get penalised if he attempts it now, well after the 10 day limit? The threats of fines/imprisonment/deportation for me are very scary even if just threatening language at best. 

Thank you for the other info! That's helpful to know that we shouldn't worry about it. 

He mails his in and it’s not uncommon to be late nor do USC’s have any penalty for being late anyway.

You wont get punished because he’s late and he wont get punished for anything.  He just needs to mail it in.

Edited by iwannaplay54

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to General Immigration-Related Discussion.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.