devoted72

In search for advice to get married

24 posts in this topic

Hy all, this is my first ppst6i hope some of you could help me. So, I read the difference between a k1 and a spouse visa my issue is this: I live in Italy, my L. O. In Colorado but, sadly to say, he is still incarcereted and he will be for a while. He wants to marry me and I  ready to leave all that I have here in order to stay as near as possible to him until his release, almost 10 years of we are lucky. How can a person ask for a spouse visa,  which would help me find a Joc sooner, if I am not already married? Should I ask for a k1, marry him and, then, ask for the adjustment? If I am not wrong I could not stay in united states during the time to obtain the adjustment, correct? In that case o could ask for a k1, go there, marry him in jail, come back home and ask for the adjustment approval. Please give me some advice. I know that it is better to hire an immigtation lawyer and I will do it but, in the meantime, I'd like to know what is the best way to take so that I can start plan something In concrete. Tia. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you apply for a K-1, you would be approved, get a visa, travel to the US, marry your fiancé, STAY IN THE US, file to adjust status.

There are some really helpful guides if you look up at the top.  The K-1 flow chart is especially helpful.

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

When was the last time you met?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Well nothing to be done now, see how things go after your visit.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

K1's have been taking longer than a year, now what timelines will be in 2023 I have no idea.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Simo lasimo said:

Yes, I understand but, since I know that for a k1 it could take even a year, I was asking for what to do and how previoisly

There is nothing for you to do now except research the different visa paths.  Your fiance will do the heavy lifting in the early stages. Please review those guides at the top of the page to learn about the processes.  This is a DIY site (heavy on the Y)

Good luck 

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Timeline

No need to apologize, we are just trying to help.  I stole this from Crazy Cat, I hope it helps you. 

Every couple has their own priorities, and each couple must decide which visa is better for their situation.

K-1        
    More expensive than CR-1    
    Requires Adjustment of Status after marriage (expensive and requires a lot of paperwork)    
    Spouse can not leave the US until she/he receives approved Advance Parole (approx 6-8 months)    
    Spouse can not work until she/he receives EAD (approx 6-8 months)    
    Some people have had problems with driver licenses, Social Security cards, leases, bank account during this period    
    Spouse will not receive Green Card for many months after Adjustment of Status is filed.
    A denied K-1 is sent back to USCIS to expire

CR-1
    Less expensive than K-1    
    No Adjustment of Status(I-485, I-131, I-765) required.    
    Spouse can immediately travel outside the US    
    Spouse is authorized to work immediately upon arrival.    
    Spouse receives Social Security Card and Green Card within 2 or 3 weeks after entering the US    
    Opening a bank account, getting a driver's license, etc. are very easily accomplished with GC, SS card, and passport.

Spouse has legal permanent Resident status IMMEDIATELY upon entry to US.

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

52 minutes ago, Simo lasimo said:

Hy all, this is my first ppst6i hope some of you could help me. So, I read the difference between a k1 and a spouse visa my issue is this: I live in Italy, my L. O. In Colorado but, sadly to say, he is still incarcereted and he will be for a while. He wants to marry me and I  ready to leave all that I have here in order to stay as near as possible to him until his release, almost 10 years of we are lucky. How can a person ask for a spouse visa,  which would help me find a Joc sooner, if I am not already married? Should I ask for a k1, marry him and, then, ask for the adjustment? If I am not wrong I could not stay in united states during the time to obtain the adjustment, correct? In that case o could ask for a k1, go there, marry him in jail, come back home and ask for the adjustment approval. Please give me some advice. I know that it is better to hire an immigtation lawyer and I will do it but, in the meantime, I'd like to know what is the best way to take so that I can start plan something In concrete. Tia. 

It is not better to hire a lawyer sometimes it is worse. Learn the process and do it without a lawyer.

You cannot file for a K-1 until you have met in person at least once. You will need pictures and other proof of spending time together in order to file. Once you get a K-1 you can come here and get married but you cannot leave until you complete Adjustment of Status which can be filed after you marry.

If he files for fiance or spouse visa he will have to prove financial capacity to support you or he will need a joint sponsor. This may also be a hurdle in your case.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There have been 2 members here who went through this  @Golden Me and someone more recent. I can't get the name. Maybe @Staceyann88

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline

I forget what it is called but there is a Prison Forum that has a section that covers this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I often hear about people in prison getting married, I assume so can you two. You don't need a K-1 to come to the US to get married if you intend to return to Italy and file for a spousal visa from there. You can do this on an ESTA if you're eligible for that. 

I went through the K-1 visa path and don't recommend it at all. I especially remember how dependent I was on my USC husband since I wasn't allowed to drive or work for many, many months after arriving in the US. Since your fiance is in prison that may be an even bigger hurdle for you.

Definitely go get married if you can, and file for the CR-1 visa. That way you're a permanent resident the same day you enter the US with that visa and won't have to depend on your then husband. You can take care of yourself until he's released. 

I'm not sure if it maybe is even harder getting approved for a K-1 with a partner in prison, than a CR-1 where you're already spouses.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.