ManSat

I applied for advance parole I-131, but I need to travel in the immediate future. What should I do if my advance parole application is still pending?

106 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

How does abandonment affect the accrual of unlawful presence?

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030211.html "DHS has interpreted "period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security," as used in this context, to include ... For individuals who have properly filed an application for adjustment of status to LPR, the entire processing period of the application, even if the application is subsequently denied or abandoned, provided the individual (unless seeking to adjust status under NACARA or HRIFA) did not file for adjustment "defensively" (i.e., after deportation proceedings had already been initiated)"

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 minute ago, HRQX said:

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030211.html "DHS has interpreted "period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security," as used in this context, to include ... For individuals who have properly filed an application for adjustment of status to LPR, the entire processing period of the application, even if the application is subsequently denied or abandoned, provided the individual (unless seeking to adjust status under NACARA or HRIFA) did not file for adjustment "defensively" (i.e., after deportation proceedings had already been initiated)"

OK.  Thanks.  That's pretty clear.  

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 minutes ago, HRQX said:

When was the I-485 filed? If it was filed before the I-94 expired then you still haven't accrued unlawful presence since a properly filed I-485 results in being in a "period of stay authorized by the Secretary of Homeland Security." https://fam.state.gov/fam/09FAM/09FAM030211.html

You can use the already filed I-130 petition for consular processing. The petitioner should request that USCIS switch the pending petition from AOS to consular processing.

At NVC you would follow these steps: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

it was filed before the I-94 expires

Timeline
Just now, ManSat said:

it was filed before the I-94 expires

Looks like you are OK as far as any bar for unlawful presence.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

8 minutes ago, HRQX said:

awesome! because I filed duirng my 6 motnhs legal stay of the B2, so this means even if I travel abroad before receving the advance parole (abandonment) I do not trigger a bar and I can apply from the consulate abraod for I-485 i.e. I will not eb considered overstayign my visa? So the visa is not void?

2 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Looks like you are OK as far as any bar for unlawful presence.

and the B1/B2 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

If you have accrued 180 days (6 months) of unlawful presence when you depart the US, then yes.  Of course, you know that the visa is now voided. 

OP is at 10 months....though I see from @HRQX, he won't be facing any unlawful accruals. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, ManSat said:

My wife was pregnant and she came back to US to give birth here and be with her family, also there was lock down and everyone workign remotely, suddenly the lock down lifted after I filed.

1 hour ago, ManSat said:

The question is if I go back and start again from my own country, will I be hit by a 3 year bar? Because my business stay was for 6 months, today I am 10 months in the US (like 4 months overstay)?

I think it's safe to say you came to tour 🤷🏽‍♂️ as you did not come for any business related stuff...but the visa you got serves both purpose anyways 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
Just now, HRQX said:

The NIV is void per INA 222(g). The part I had cited was limited to the context of accrual of unlawful presence for the time bars.

That was my suspicion.  Thanks for the clarification.

1 minute ago, HRQX said:

The NIV is void per INA 222(g). The part I had cited is limited to the context of accrual of unlawful presence for the time bars.

understood - so if I stay even for 6 months beyond my 6 months visa (so total 12 months) and I have not received my advance parole yet, adn I decide to leave, I will not be hit by a bar because all the extra 6 months while I am awating my I-485/I-130 processing is lawful presence?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
2 minutes ago, ManSat said:

understood - so if I stay even for 6 months beyond my 6 months visa (so total 12 months) and I have not received my advance parole yet, adn I decide to leave, I will not be hit by a bar because all the extra 6 months while I am awating my I-485/I-130 processing is lawful presence?

No bar.

You will need an immigrant visa to enter the US.  No way around this.

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

No bar.

You will need an immigrant visa to enter the US.  No way around this.

thank you - what if a US client needed to meet me in the USA and provided offical letters, can I apply for a B1/B2 visa again for just this purpose? or they will see I had before an immigrant application and reject my business visa?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
1 minute ago, ManSat said:

thank you - what if a US client needed to meet me in the USA and provided official letters, can I apply for a B1/B2 visa again for just this purpose? or they will see I had before an immigrant application and reject my business visa?

Can you apply yes, are you likely to be successful probably not.

You have to decide which option is the most important. You are making it sound like your trip could be delayed.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.