pcs9288

Can someone renew green card if they now have a tourist visa?

10 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, pcs9288 said:

If someone’s green card expired about 6 years ago and then received a tourist visa that expires in 10 years will this affect her trying to renew green card? She doesn’t live in U.S she just occasionally visits Sons and is trying to figure everything out to see if she can move back.

She will need to start over with being petitioned for a new green card.  Having a tourist visa won't affect that process, but having immigrant intent could be problematic if she tries to visit.

41 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

She will need to start over with being petitioned for a new green card.  Having a tourist visa won't affect that process, but having immigrant intent could be problematic if she tries to visit.

Not sure if my response went through but I meant to ask start over as in have someone petition for her again? She’s actually here now and we didn’t know if she could do anything in person. She leaves soon she’s been back and forth since 2018 she has a business in her country but is trying to get set up for the future incase the situation over there (political unrest) worsens. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
23 minutes ago, pcs9288 said:

Not sure if my response went through but I meant to ask start over as in have someone petition for her again? She’s actually here now and we didn’t know if she could do anything in person. She leaves soon she’s been back and forth since 2018 she has a business in her country but is trying to get set up for the future incase the situation over there (political unrest) worsens. 

No, she can't renew her green card.

The purpose of a green card is to live in the US.

A green card is not for living in another country with a future in case situation of relocating to the US.

How did she get a tourist visa while being an LPR?  A person with an expired LPR status is unlikely to get a tourist visa.  Did she list her green card on her tourist visa application?

Has she been filing US tax returns on her foreign business income?

4 hours ago, pcs9288 said:

If someone’s green card expired about 6 years ago and then received a tourist visa that expires in 10 years will this affect her trying to renew green card? She doesn’t live in U.S she just occasionally visits Sons and is trying to figure everything out to see if she can move back.

Straight answer: she is not eligible to renew her green card that expired 6 years. just 6 years late 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They would not have issued her a Tourist Visa if she had not abandoned her Green Card.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Know someone that abandoned their green card at the US Embassy and then received a 10 year B1/B2 Visa.  

This person then was petitioned by US Citizen parent, had to wait for the priority date to be current, and is now living and working in the USA and is now a US citizen.

I think your friend abandoned the Green Card, and, if possible, will now have to go through the process again.

1 hour ago, Rafagus said:

Know someone that abandoned their green card at the US Embassy and then received a 10 year B1/B2 Visa.  

This person then was petitioned by US Citizen parent, had to wait for the priority date to be current, and is now living and working in the USA and is now a US citizen.

I think your friend abandoned the Green Card, and, if possible, will now have to go through the process again.

Her daughter in law was asking me for help since I petitioned for my husband 2 years ago but I had no idea how everything worked thanks so much that makes more sense now 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
5 hours ago, pcs9288 said:

Her daughter in law was asking me for help since I petitioned for my husband 2 years ago but I had no idea how everything worked thanks so much that makes more sense now 

Her son can petition for her if he is a USC.  Her daughter in law cannot.  Please suggest to the son to join here to learn how to petition and ask questions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.