Berii

Denied visa 221g (SPLIT)

49 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline

Greetings everyone. My wife was denied visa under 221g and her petition sent back to USCIS recommending revocation.

These were the questions asked by the consular officer and her answers to them;

1. Who is petitioning for you? *My husband*

2. What does he do? Answers

3. Where are you going to stay in the US? Answers

4. How did you two meet? *At a friend's wedding party*

5. What's the name of the friend? Sandra

6. when did you two meet? Answers 

7. What relationship do you have with Sandra? *I'm a friend of Sandra. *

8. What about your husband. *Is he friends with the groom or bride. we're both friends Of the bride*

9. When did you get married? Answers

10. Who is this in the picture(points to her mother)? *My mother*

11. Who's this(points to an invited person)? *My mother's co-worker*

12. Who's this(points to another woman)? *My husband's Aunt*

13. Did his parents attend the wedding? *No*.

14. Why were his parents absent? *His mother was sick*

15. Did you meet his parents? *Yes*

16. When did you meet his parents? *2015*

17. Was there a knock door(traditional wedding)?*No but there was an introduction*

18. Are you from the same village with your husband? *No*

19. Did you live together? *Yes*

20. Did you live together alone or with people? *We lived together alone*

21. Was there an engagement? *Yes*

22. When did he propose? *2016, May 2016 on my birthday*

23. How did your husband immigrate to the US? *Through the Diversity visa lottery*

24. When did he travel to the US?Answered

25. When did you get married? Answered

26. Has your husband been back to your home country since he travelled to the US? *No, he was to come last year but the covid-19 hindered*

27. Where did the court wedding take place? answered

28. Tell me about your relationship with your husband? Answered

29. What was your husband doing when he was in your home country? Answered

30. What do you do for a living? *I'm unemployed*

Another officer told my wife the consular officer is suspicious about my marriage and cannot give a visa, I don't know why because she answered all questions asked. What way forward should I take. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Berii said:

Greetings everyone. My wife was denied visa under 221g and her petition sent back to USCIS recommending revocation.

8. What about your husband. *Is he friends with the groom or bride. we're both friends Of the bride*

17. Was there a knock door(traditional wedding)?*No but there was an introduction*

23. How did your husband immigrate to the US? *Through the Diversity visa lottery*

26. Has your husband been back to your home country since he travelled to the US? *No, he was to come last year but the covid-19 hindered*

Another officer told my wife the consular officer is suspicious about my marriage and cannot give a visa, I don't know why because she answered all questions asked. What way forward should I take. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Please make your own thread. Thanks.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

**Posts split from another thread.

VJ Moderation

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

when the CO asks this many questions,  they are suspicious of the marriage and it being bona fida 

a petition for Cameroon has to be well prepared 

Red flags?

1.  big age difference

2.   money sent to Africa

3.   difference in religions

4.  not enough quality spent together

5.  suspicion of fake documents 

the USC will receive in about 6 months a NOIR or NOID notice and have the chance to answer to the CO issues

One requires a response to the issues within a given timeframe (usually 30 days) and there must be actual proof that the issues are mistaken by the CO

example (she said you met your parents in 2015 and the CO saw no proof of this/  so u send photos of her and them together and copy of stamp in their passport and profile page of passport showing they were in Cameroon in 2015) USCIS can check the computer to see if this passport info is correct.

the other notice says u can appeal the decision (but again ,  solid proof of CO error is needed) .  this is time consumming and requires a fee /  best option is to spend  more time and reapply for the spouse visa

1.  stay calm

2.  understand your notice

3.   collect your evidence (even needed if u reapply )

4.   respond in time 

1 hour ago, Berii said:

What did the 221g say? Do you have a copy of it? 

Timeline
3 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

when the CO asks this many questions,  they are suspicious of the marriage and it being bona fida 

a petition for Cameroon has to be well prepared 

Red flags?

1.  big age difference

2.   money sent to Africa

3.   difference in religions

4.  not enough quality spent together

5.  suspicion of fake documents 

the USC will receive in about 6 months a NOIR or NOID notice and have the chance to answer to the CO issues

One requires a response to the issues within a given timeframe (usually 30 days) and there must be actual proof that the issues are mistaken by the CO

example (she said you met your parents in 2015 and the CO saw no proof of this/  so u send photos of her and them together and copy of stamp in their passport and profile page of passport showing they were in Cameroon in 2015) USCIS can check the computer to see if this passport info is correct.

the other notice says u can appeal the decision (but again ,  solid proof of CO error is needed) .  this is time consumming and requires a fee /  best option is to spend  more time and reapply for the spouse visa

1.  stay calm

2.  understand your notice

3.   collect your evidence (even needed if u reapply )

4.   respond in time 

Thanks JeanneAddil. we both have never been married or divorced before, this is the first time we getting married, we don't have children yet, no criminal records, I file my taxes every year and I have a good salary to take care of me and my wife, age difference of 4years, my wife presented all proof of relationship at the interview(photos, chat logs, call logs, 3 western union receipts of money I sent to her though I've been sending her money not only 3 times). We got married on Jan 2018 and I travelled to the US on March 2018. My parents live in Cameroon and my wife's parents too live in Cameroon.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

3 hours ago, Kor2USA said:

That the petition is being sent back to USCIS for review and recommending a revocation

Timeline

My wife and I are from same country, city and religious background(we're both Christians) though the CO didn't ask about it

We met each other in 2013, started dating in 2014, I proposed to her in 2016 and we started living together 4 months after I proposed to her. We met each other's parents in 2015. I obtained my DV1 visa in early Jan 2018. Then we finally tied the not later that month , Jan 2018. Then I traveled to the US on March 2018.

All her documents were ok. CO didn't complain about the documents. There was no missing document

My wife and I started living together from 2016 till 2018 when I travelled to the US and I made plans of coming to Cameroon to see her in 2020 but was impossible due to covid

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Yeah hard to say where it went downhill. Relationship looks strong based on your description. May be the CO got suspicious because of the marriage rite after getting visa. What's prevalent in Cameroon? Traditional or court marriages? COs know about the country's tradition.

Lots of unmarried DV winners from my home country marry as soon as they get second letter and both immigrate together without any issues but then they usually go through traditional wedding.

May be a quick court marriage rite after visa issuance while the other parent was sick, and not visiting one's spouse for 3 and half years created more doubt? Covid started to become prevalent 2 years after you moved to US so not visiting your spouse because of covid may not have satisfied the CO.

The resolution could be you go and be with her for sometime and come back. Can appeal with uscis or file new i130. Filing new may be a good idea.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

I don't see anything wrong with getting married right after he won the lottery. He was moving to another country and that speeds things up. They had been together 3-4 years by then.

I thought maybe the issue is that you have not seen each other since 2018, so you were together for a little bit while married and then you never went back and she never visited (though probably getting visitor visa is difficult).

Did you have a lot of evidence/documentation for marriage?

What I don't understand is why you didn't marry before you got the visa at the consulate. If you had married right before, you could have added her to the paperwork and immigrated together. Why marry right after and then start paperwork for a visa by marriage?

6 hours ago, arken said:

Yeah hard to say where it went downhill. Relationship looks strong based on your description. May be the CO got suspicious because of the marriage rite after getting visa. What's prevalent in Cameroon? Traditional or court marriages? COs know about the country's tradition.

Lots of unmarried DV winners from my home country marry as soon as they get second letter and both immigrate together without any issues but then they usually go through traditional wedding.

May be a quick court marriage rite after visa issuance while the other parent was sick, and not visiting one's spouse for 3 and half years created more doubt? Covid started to become prevalent 2 years after you moved to US so not visiting your spouse because of covid may not have satisfied the CO.

The resolution could be you go and be with her for sometime and come back. Can appeal with uscis or file new i130. Filing new may be a good idea.

10 hours ago, Berii said:

That the petition is being sent back to USCIS for review and recommending a revocation

Did she ever applied to a US visa? Did she ever travelled to another country? 
The only thing that for me is a little confusing is the answer for the question 26 

The pandemia just start (officially) in march 2020. 2 years before you moved.

To a new married couple this sounds odd, IMO.

When did you received our visa? 

Edited by PaulaCJohnny

Timeline
7 hours ago, arken said:

Thanks Arken for the contribution. In Cameroon traditional marriage is not prevalent and considered not legal. I've never also known if it was possible to include someone in a DV1 visa when one registers a single entry and he or she is not yet married at the time. 

Concerning the not visiting for 3 and half years, When I traveled in 2018, I started attending IT school and I did not receive my permanent resident card until March 2019, I only started working a job with a decent salary in late Aug 2019 and had plans of visiting my wife back in Cameroon in 2020 and then boom the covid situation 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, PaulaCJohnny said:

Did she ever applied to a US visa? Did she ever travelled to another country? 
The only thing that for me is a little confusing is the answer for the question 26 

The pandemia just start (officially) in march 2020. 2 years before you moved.

To a new married couple this sounds odd, IMO.

When did you received our visa? 

No she hasn't ever applied for a US visa or travelled to another country

I just got a new job late 2019(August) needed to save up for the visit

I received my DV1 visa early Jan 2018

Timeline

Thanks Coco8. We both registered for the DV lottery as single not as married since we were'nt yet legally married at the time. and I succeeded.including her in my visa when I registered already as single could complicate. To the best of my knowledge I know one can only include their family(spouse, children) at the time they register for the DV lottery not registering as single or married and then including family after 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
15 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

money sent to Africa

How is money sent to Africa a red flag? You’re conjecturing. I can confidently say 99.999% of people who have a fiancée or some relatives in Africa send money home and the consular officers are educated in the customs of the people and by itself won’t view that as a red flag at all unless there are signs of a romance scam.

Based on what you’ve provided, it’s very strange they’re planning to deny this petition. Absolutely nothing jumps out at me as a sign of a sham marriage.

In actual fact I have a Cameroonian roommate in the USA whose fiancée relocated to Ghana (because of the English/French political unrest) and is living in my house there since 2020 waiting for her petition to be approved. It’s taken sixteen months and she still hasn’t gotten her visa although the case was just sent to the embassy last month and they have a Covid backlog.

Your issue is perplexing and I don’t even think spending more time with her is a solution to be honest.

Edited by African Zealot

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.