Hawk Riders

part IV, the big IR1/CR1 DQ'd message group...

3,005 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, rainbow-skies said:

Tips:
- Terminal 1 - Security opens at 6am, customs at 630am; Airlines - Air Canada and United
- Terminal 3 - Security opens at 430 am, customs at 5am; Airlines - Air Transat, Delta, american airlines
- no matter how early you get to the airport, even if you end up being first in the customs line -- they will still prioritize those on flights earlier than yours. 

Thanks for this very useful information!

Congratulations on a successful crossing.

9 hours ago, mam521 said:

Yeah, you have to give it a bit more time.  If you haven't gotten it in another 2 weeks, I'd go to the SSA.  

Also keep in mind the SSA seems to suffer from next to no training and hire very jobsworth types.  So, your first challenge will be determining IF your SSA office is open.  Secondly, it will be convincing the local office that you can, indeed, apply for a SSN with your MRIV and do not require your physical greencard to do so. 

You don't need your SSN to begin working.  Your temporary I-551 will be sufficient to satisfy the requirements of the I-9.  

I have been told that even if it doesn't hinge on employment, to get the paystub and earnings -some laws require that you have social security.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
15 hours ago, Mintaftertaste said:

I have been told that even if it doesn't hinge on employment, to get the paystub and earnings -some laws require that you have social security.

I encourage you to read the I-9 instructions.  Yes, you will eventually need the number so your earnings can be reported to the IRS, but it's not imperative to start your job. 

I'm not saying avoid getting it for 6mo, I am saying no one can deny you work on the basis of incompetency of people not reading the DS-260 or not being able to get an immediate appointment with the SSA or the SSA agents not being trained and telling you you can't have a SSN because they won't accept your temporary I-551.  All of these items may hinder your ability to get the SSN in a timely manner. 

It's worth it to understand your American life is able to begin, irrespective of whether your SSN is in hand and that you can work on achieving the goal of receiving your SSN within a reasonable timeline and without persecution.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline

I haven't been here for a while....trying to focus on something else but than waiting. 

I need your advice. 

My husband (in US) is going through some hardcore emotional roller-coaster.

He had been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder about 10 years ago. He's been doing fine until now. Seems like he's going through a manic episode, not coping with reality well. His friend and the police are looking for him (I reported him as a missing person). 

He will very likely end up in hospital :(  I'm devastated I can't be there for him. 

Do you guys think our situation gives me a valid reason to request expedited consular interview? 

It's obvious he can't be alone anymore but I don't know how immigration looks at mental disorders. Is it going to affect out case? 

I'm horrified there's not much I can do from here, and he needs me there :(

Any word of advice? 

Timeline

Got my Canada post tracking number today at 12:05 PM! No info available quite yet though. 

**question to those of you that changed your name and brought the new passport with your married name to interview… they still have me listed in my maiden name with my old passport number… is that normal? 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nikasalts said:

I haven't been here for a while....trying to focus on something else but than waiting. 

I need your advice. 

He had been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder about 10 years ago. He's been doing fine until now. Seems like he's going through a manic episode, not coping with reality well. His friend and the police are looking for him (I reported him as a missing person). 

He will very likely end up in hospital :(  I'm devastated I can't be there for him. 

Do you guys think our situation gives me a valid reason to request expedited consular interview? 

It's obvious he can't be alone anymore but I don't know how immigration looks at mental disorders. Is it going to affect out case? 

Any word of advice? 

So sorry to hear about your situation...

Sounds like the husband is the petitioner, in which case, yes, considering he needs you there to support him and care for him, in my opinion, it absolutely qualifies for an expedite. You will need to provide proof of his diagnosis, and perhaps a letter from the doctor saying his health would significantly benefit from you being there with him. 

I don't think mental illness on the part of the petitioner would cause any issues with immigration. His ability to maintain his financial status would be something you may need to demonstrate. If his illness will not impact his job/ income, I don't see any issue.

I hope your husband is found soon...

ps- Even without an expedite though, I think you will get an interview latest by January. Fingers crossed!

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
12 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

So sorry to hear about your situation...

Sounds like the husband is the petitioner, in which case, yes, considering he needs you there to support him and care for him, in my opinion, it absolutely qualifies for an expedite. You will need to provide proof of his diagnosis, and perhaps a letter from the doctor saying his health would significantly benefit from you being there with him. 

I don't think mental illness on the part of the petitioner would cause any issues with immigration. His ability to maintain his financial status would be something you may need to demonstrate. If his illness will not impact his job/ income, I don't see any issue.

I hope your husband is found soon...

ps- Even without an expedite though, I think you will get an interview latest by January. Fingers crossed!

Thank you. I'm making an emergency flight to US on Monday. Will see what proof I can get. 

His condition may eventually impact his work, but not for as long as it's maintained well, but I can prove he was very capable of making a living and he still will ....if I can support him with the recovery. 

Fingers crossed 

30 minutes ago, Nikasalts said:

Thank you. I'm making an emergency flight to US on Monday. Will see what proof I can get. 

His condition may eventually impact his work, but not for as long as it's maintained well, but I can prove he was very capable of making a living and he still will ....if I can support him with the recovery. 

Fingers crossed 

Hope he is found soon. In my eyes that would be a valid for you to be expedited. You will paper work from a dr saying he needs you there. It never hurts to try. 

Timeline

Petitioner's Birth Certificate - is it needed to bring the original?  

Going through the list of items below to make sure to bring but this is the first time I have seen it asked for.  Wasn't uploaded to NVC as all they wanted was a copy of her passport.  

U.S. Consulate General Montreal, Canada - MTL (state.gov)

Has anyone been asked for this in the interview?  I don't think my spouse even has a copy of her birth certificate and doubt it will be in time for the interview even if she tried to get one. 

Thanks and good luck everyone.

Timeline
47 minutes ago, jercanuck said:

Petitioner's Birth Certificate - is it needed to bring the original?  

Going through the list of items below to make sure to bring but this is the first time I have seen it asked for.  Wasn't uploaded to NVC as all they wanted was a copy of her passport.  

U.S. Consulate General Montreal, Canada - MTL (state.gov)

Has anyone been asked for this in the interview?  I don't think my spouse even has a copy of her birth certificate and doubt it will be in time for the interview even if she tried to get one. 

Thanks and good luck everyone.

You don’t need the original birth certificate of the petitioner, but MTL often asks to show the copy of the birth certificate. Look at consulate reviews for details.

If the petitioner doesn’t have a birth certificate, I recommend they get one. Going to City Hall in the city they were born should get you one immediately.

If it does take a while, atleast you will have it on the way, and can follow up with the missing document to MTL incase they need it. 

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
9 hours ago, Nikasalts said:

I need your advice. 

Any word of advice? 

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he is found soon. It's scary being away when your partner needs you. 

For the expedite, you should absolutely try because they can't say yes unless you do. Given Montreal's history I'd generally say that you would not qualify for an expedite, but they appear to be relaxing a little bit lately so it's worth a shot. 

For your case, it won't affect it unless he either commits a crime that makes him ineligible to sponsor a spouse (extremely unlikely as those are very intense crimes) or he can no longer financially support you (but you can overcome that with a joint sponsor). 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Wondering if anyone can confirm if I would need to get a new police check (Canadian RCMP background check) completed if mine is older than 1 year?

The state dept site lists older than 1 year in one section, and older than 2 years in another section as to whether or not you will need a new one. My interview is coming up in just under a month, so want to ensure if I need another to get it done promptly.

Thanks.

Timeline
21 minutes ago, SoLongWaiting said:

Wondering if anyone can confirm if I would need to get a new police check (Canadian RCMP background check) completed if mine is older than 1 year?

The state dept site lists older than 1 year in one section, and older than 2 years in another section as to whether or not you will need a new one. My interview is coming up in just under a month, so want to ensure if I need another to get it done promptly.

Thanks.

I wrote to the Montreal consulate to confirm this discrepancy and they confirmed the validity is 2 years now. People have successfully submitted certificates older than one year at their interviews.

Please update your timeline, so you can be added to our tracker.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

1 minute ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I wrote to the Montreal consulate to confirm this discrepancy and they confirmed the validity is 2 years now. People have successfully submitted certificates older than one year at their interviews.

Please update your timeline, so you can be added to our tracker.

Oh thank goodness. Would have been another stressor trying to get this done in time. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. 

I’d add my info to the tracker but I’m not sure what some of the stages correspond to, to be honest. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.