2,964 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sk N said:

Anyone with experience of annulment thoughts will be highly appreciated ,

I had my first hearing today, My husband face was full of guilt he could not answer basic questions from the referee his lawyer had to tell him to answer about what he does and yearly income. The referee said to resolve it between us but he wants to annul the marriage under trial grounds. However, the referee also asked for RO and i gave the docket number and she asked me when i came to USA and all. The next hearing will be with the judge, both attorney picked it on December. I just want to know what can the judge do? I just do not want my case to go to trial since we do not have kids or any properties or any assets together. His lawyer also tried to trick the marriage of saying it was less than 6 months but they argued to make it exact 6 months which it is actually 6 months and if i count civil marriage it is more, not sure what was that for. Any thoughts will be highly appreciated 

@Demise  @FeDaniela 

Hm hun, I'm not sure why the 6 moths is an important date, but definitelly you should look into it and see if this is going to effect you anyhow, I hope everything will go well, you have some time to prepare till December 🤞

@Tyo   in VAWA part 23 

"You should be getting your date soon.thanks for the response. We are almost there "

YEEES I just checked my USCIS account yesterday and my interview has been scheduled guys! 

I am waiting for the mail now to see when is it exactly, 

gotta do the medical exam - is that about $300-$400?

11 hours ago, Fathada said:

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm so I can go ahead now to file I 485 for myself and my kids with a pending I 360?
also, I don’t want to use my lawyer because I don’t have the money for that. So do I have to inform my lawyer before filing it or I can just go ahead?

@sandraj your reply also will be highly appreciated.

God bless you all.

Yes you can. You should probably let your lawyer know just so you're on the same page but you don't have to.

7 hours ago, Lulu oz said:

Hi All, 

please what is the typical expected time for VAWA “case to be approved” after receiving the VAWA EAD card? 

also, please when do you expect for the approved VAWA case to be moved to your local field office.

Thanks in advance 

Technically the I-360 is approved as soon as the EAD is approved, but if you're asking about the approval notice that takes like 2 more months for reasons unknown.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

3 hours ago, Sk N said:

Anyone with experience of annulment thoughts will be highly appreciated ,

I had my first hearing today, My husband face was full of guilt he could not answer basic questions from the referee his lawyer had to tell him to answer about what he does and yearly income. The referee said to resolve it between us but he wants to annul the marriage under trial grounds. However, the referee also asked for RO and i gave the docket number and she asked me when i came to USA and all. The next hearing will be with the judge, both attorney picked it on December. I just want to know what can the judge do? I just do not want my case to go to trial since we do not have kids or any properties or any assets together. His lawyer also tried to trick the marriage of saying it was less than 6 months but they argued to make it exact 6 months which it is actually 6 months and if i count civil marriage it is more, not sure what was that for. Any thoughts will be highly appreciated 

@Demise  @FeDaniela 

I'm not exactly sure since I've never really dealt much with annulments, but considering that your marriage while brief did happen and you were together for X period of time I really don't think that your husband really has a case for annulment. Grounds for annulment are also really strict in NY: https://www.divorcenet.com/resources/annulment/annulment-basics/new_york There is no uncontested annulment in NY, every case goes to trial : https://colwell-law.org/blog/getting-annulment-new-york/

My guess is that the judge would either outright dismiss the case due to lack of factors for annulment or give either of you an option to make it a divorce rather than annulment.

Edited by Demise

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
1 hour ago, hazel.60 said:

Hm hun, I'm not sure why the 6 moths is an important date, but definitelly you should look into it and see if this is going to effect you anyhow, I hope everything will go well, you have some time to prepare till December 🤞

@Tyo   in VAWA part 23 

"You should be getting your date soon.thanks for the response. We are almost there "

YEEES I just checked my USCIS account yesterday and my interview has been scheduled guys! 

I am waiting for the mail now to see when is it exactly, 

gotta do the medical exam - is that about $300-$400?

Wow!! That’s great. Just did mine, was $320 without the vaccines. 

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline
12 hours ago, God is a good God said:

Hey vj family. My ead expired two weeks ago and applied for an extension since June 2021. I went to DMV to get a temporary driving privilege but they took all my paper work and sent them to immigration for verification before issuing me a driving privilege document to drive with. But it has been two weeks USCIS hasn't responded to them, I'm stuck and i cannot drive to go work (im working with an extension 180 days on the receipt notice). What should I do? My ead is based on pending asylum and i have i360 pending

You will have to wait to get back from them. I have a similar case, lost my License and I went to driver license office but I was given a paper SAVE verification, it took 20 days for them to call me back that I was cleared. Got my license yesterday. Hopefully they will respond soon. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
10 hours ago, Fathada said:

God bless you for breaking it down. Yes I filed a year plus after divorce and I have the receipt notice. Thank you so much.

@Fathada If your ex was a US citizen then you can file before VAWA approval. The requirement is different for GC holder spouses who need to wait for VAWA approval and having a current priority date to file i485 and work authorization.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Hi everyone! Received an email today, what kind of instructions do they send with I-485 notice? Is it biometrics again? Thanks

CCE4EA11-6569-4C21-9692-4E3CE6D46AD1.jpeg

It looks like you have your Green card approved!!!  
Congrats 🎈🎊 

You had an approval without interview 😃😃😃
Let’s together celebrate the start of a new chapter of your life in the US :)

Edited by Sparkle✨

Timeline
Just now, Optimistic1986 said:

Yup thank you, it was finally approved after a long time. I just wonder what kind of instructions are in the notice, biometrics?

That notice is an approval letter. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Yup thank you, it was finally approved after a long time. I just wonder what kind of instructions are in the notice, biometrics?

You get the card, approval notice, and a welcome to USA information packet outlining your rights and obligations as an LPR. Other than that, you're done here and can naturalize in 3 years.

Edited by Demise

Timeline
28 minutes ago, hazel.60 said:

Yeah, I'm excited but nervous too. 

Ok thanks I'll try to look for something within that budget :)

29 minutes ago, hazel.60 said:

Yeah, I'm excited but nervous too. 

Ok thanks I'll try to look for something within that budget :)

Mine was $40 total. Had all vaccinations in hand which I got done with primary care doc. Then immigration doc billed immigration exam

as “annual medical” to insurance. Try searching for doctors around you who do the same.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.