2,964 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
On 10/20/2021 at 1:40 AM, Sparkle said:

Epic 🤣

Looks like I'll have to find more divorce jokes. :lol: 

19 hours ago, JuliaNE said:

But I forgive them. 

This indicates personal strength, an asset that you can rely on.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
4 hours ago, Koi1 said:

Hey guys i have a question, i just applied for VAWA in Aug 2021 and my lawyer and I didn’t send all necessary documents because i had some stuff to wait on. For one, i had a pending case that was to be dismissed in October 2021 against my husband when he accused me of being abusive to him even though he was the one abusing me. I got a plea in abeyance of disorderly conduct and case to be dismissed after compliance with terms names in the plea which i did and now case dismissed. I also had to do psychological evaluation for almost 3 months.

so back to my point, we sent my approved i130 to show bona fide marriage, abuse proof such as texts, photos of bruises, transcripts of very bad audio messages from him to me, a police report from 2yrs back when he hit me and i called police but didn’t actually report when they got there because he threatened me with deportation if i told and I believed him, two friends wrote for me about how they witnessed our marriage and the consequent abuse from him how it broke me down, my pastor also wrote for me about the abuse since i told him and to vouch for my gmc and also one acquaintance wrote about my gmc. My husband and i had also been to a therapist to try to save our marriage and i went to her alone too after the marriage broke down and she told me and him that he is subjecting me to DV. So my therapist also wrote a letter for me and i included that as well as the danger assessment she did for me which i was in severe danger according to it. I haven’t sent in yet the police clearance as i was waiting for the case to be dismissed this month and i also just completed my psych evaluation. She diagnosed me with sever ptsd and sever depression and got me on antidepressants which I’m due for a refill, they’ve really helped me abunch. 

I asked my lawyer to send these two crucial pieces of information to vermont as we already have my receipt but she says that’s not necessary and we can send when they later ask us to. If they ask. I just want to not wait as I didn’t get a PF yet. She says the therapist letter

may suffice but my psychologist one has more details. 

I really don’t want to make her mad but i am thinking of just sending these information to Vermont myself. What should i do? Also if i were to send, should i send original copies or photocopy. My psychologist has done these types of evaluations and she said send in the original copy.

thanks for reading this long text and for your help in advance.

ps: I’m so afraid they might deny me for the false accusations even though on the police report it says he pushed me first and I scratched him accidentally as i was falling down and trying to hold onto something.  

In regard to immigration, you have to submit and report the entire criminal case.  If you do not, it is a misrep of your gmc.  There is no such thing as a dismissed case, they want the entire case.  

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Hi Fam! 

i just have a quick question, i filling up form AR11,

what address should I put on the previous address? My lawyer’s office address (I360 address), the old address which was on my I485 (it was filed before I360) or my own previous address ? What other requirements do I have to submit for change of address? I’m sending them a mail and not doing it online. Thank you

11 hours ago, Demise said:

Yes. Your I-485 can be filed together with the I-360, while the I-360 is pending, or after I-360 is approved. Same applies to the children, only limitation is that the children cannot file before you, so they can file with you or after you.

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm so I can go ahead now to file I 485 for myself and my kids with a pending I 360?
also, I don’t want to use my lawyer because I don’t have the money for that. So do I have to inform my lawyer before filing it or I can just go ahead?

@sandraj your reply also will be highly appreciated.

God bless you all.

Hey vj family. My ead expired two weeks ago and applied for an extension since June 2021. I went to DMV to get a temporary driving privilege but they took all my paper work and sent them to immigration for verification before issuing me a driving privilege document to drive with. But it has been two weeks USCIS hasn't responded to them, I'm stuck and i cannot drive to go work (im working with an extension 180 days on the receipt notice). What should I do? My ead is based on pending asylum and i have i360 pending

Edited by God is a good God

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Fathada said:

Thanks for your reply. Just to confirm so I can go ahead now to file I 485 for myself and my kids with a pending I 360?
also, I don’t want to use my lawyer because I don’t have the money for that. So do I have to inform my lawyer before filing it or I can just go ahead?

@sandraj your reply also will be highly appreciated.

God bless you all.

Yes you can go ahead and file i485 for yourself and your children. Please file i765 as well if you would like to obtain work authorization, and i131 if you would like to obtain advance parole to travel internationally. As long as your attorney has not listed their address as safe mailing address in previous forms, they don't need to know about what you are filing now. Please sign up for myuscis account, add all your cases when you have receipt numbers and select to receive case notifications by email or text. By the way,  will likely take a few days for Sandranj to answer based on her past response frequency.

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

35 minutes ago, shiva32 said:

Yes you can go ahead and file i485 for yourself and your children. Please file i765 as well if you would like to obtain work authorization, and i131 if you would like to obtain advance parole to travel internationally. As long as your attorney has not listed their address as safe mailing address in previous forms, they don't need to know about what you are filing now. Please sign up for myuscis account, add all your cases when you have receipt numbers and select to receive case notifications by email or text. By the way,  will likely take a few days for Sandranj to answer based on her past response frequency.

Thank you. Pls don’t get tired of my questions. I was already divorced before filing the Vawa. I’ll like to know if that doesn’t stop me from filing concurrently. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Fathada said:

Thank you. Pls don’t get tired of my questions. I was already divorced before filing the Vawa. I’ll like to know if that doesn’t stop me from filing concurrently. 

Not a problem, Happy to contribute what I can. Filing concurrently means that you file i-360 and i-485 together. That is no longer possible since you already filed the i-360. As stated before, you can still file i-485 for yourself and your children, since you have a pending i-360. As long as you filed i-360 within 2 years of divorce, there should be no problem. I assume you got a receipt notice for the i360 which means it was accepted, so I again assume that you filed the i360 within 2 years of divorce, or before divorce. Hence a pending I 360 and the fact that your ex-spouse was a US citizen entitles you to be able to file i-485. 

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

6 minutes ago, shiva32 said:

Not a problem, Happy to contribute what I can. Filing concurrently means that you file i-360 and i-485 together. That is no longer possible since you already filed the i-360. As stated before, you can still file i-485 for yourself and your children, since you have a pending i-360. As long as you filed i-360 within 2 years of divorce, there should be no problem. I assume you got a receipt notice for the i360 which means it was accepted, so I again assume that you filed the i360 within 2 years of divorce, or before divorce. Hence a pending I 360 and the fact that your ex-spouse was a US citizen entitles you to be able to file i-485. 

God bless you for breaking it down. Yes I filed a year plus after divorce and I have the receipt notice. Thank you so much.

1 hour ago, shiva32 said:

Pls another question. What documents do I send with the application?

4 hours ago, God is a good God said:

Hey vj family. My ead expired two weeks ago and applied for an extension since June 2021. I went to DMV to get a temporary driving privilege but they took all my paper work and sent them to immigration for verification before issuing me a driving privilege document to drive with. But it has been two weeks USCIS hasn't responded to them, I'm stuck and i cannot drive to go work (im working with an extension 180 days on the receipt notice). What should I do? My ead is based on pending asylum and i have i360 pending

You can check your case on the Save System online to see if they returned your file to the DMV yourself too . They usually take up to 20 days to confirm , When it comes to EAD you can try to request an expedite based on financial hardship if extension is coming to a close . 

1 hour ago, Lulu oz said:

Hi All, 

please what is the typical expected time for VAWA “case to be approved” after receiving the VAWA EAD card? 

also, please when do you expect for the approved VAWA case to be moved to your local field office.

Thanks in advance 

Mine has been 135 days since I got my EAD. Still hasn’t been updated to case approved online. . Some people got theirs in 2-3 month. Inquire through your congressman . If you got your EAD on I 360  it’s an approved case . 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Fathada said:

Pls another question. What documents do I send with the application?

https://www.uscis.gov/i-485Checklist

No RFE throughout.  

Anyone with experience of annulment thoughts will be highly appreciated ,

I had my first hearing today, My husband face was full of guilt he could not answer basic questions from the referee his lawyer had to tell him to answer about what he does and yearly income. The referee said to resolve it between us but he wants to annul the marriage under trial grounds. However, the referee also asked for RO and i gave the docket number and she asked me when i came to USA and all. The next hearing will be with the judge, both attorney picked it on December. I just want to know what can the judge do? I just do not want my case to go to trial since we do not have kids or any properties or any assets together. His lawyer also tried to trick the marriage of saying it was less than 6 months but they argued to make it exact 6 months which it is actually 6 months and if i count civil marriage it is more, not sure what was that for. Any thoughts will be highly appreciated 

@Demise  @FeDaniela 

Edited by Sk N

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.