Lyndaa

K1 Visa COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If it is required, it will be treated like any other required vaccine.  Sounds like after September 30 it will be required.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/covid-19-vaccination-required-for-immigration-medical-examinations#:~:text=U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,Report of Medical Examination and

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

2 hours ago, canadian_wife said:

If it is required, it will be treated like any other required vaccine.  Sounds like after September 30 it will be required.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/covid-19-vaccination-required-for-immigration-medical-examinations#:~:text=U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,Report of Medical Examination and

Good luck 

That is quite frustrating but thank you for your help! :) 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Out of curiosity why is it frustrating?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

10 hours ago, Lyndaa said:

Hi all,

Is COVID-19 an actual requirement for K1 visa applicants before arrival to the US? Has anyone actually been allowed through without getting the COVID-19 vaccination? Or has anyone been denied entry? I'm really curious to know the deal here since it’s not straightforward.

Not required

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-fiance-k-1.html#7

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
4 hours ago, Jays0n said:

Just because they haven't changed the travel.state.gov website yet does not mean it is not now required. It is. And if you don't get it and marked off on the overseas K-1 exam form DS-3025, then you will need to get it for form I-693 in order to adjust status beginning Oct.1, 2021.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement

The US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended COVID-19 vaccination for the age-appropriate, general US population. Therefore, COVID-19 vaccination now meets the criteria for required vaccinations and is a requirement for applicants.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services today announced that, effective Oct. 1, 2021, applicants subject to the immigration medical examination must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before the civil surgeon can complete an immigration medical examination and sign Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/covid-19-vaccination-required-for-immigration-medical-examinations

Edited by KayDeeCee

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
10 minutes ago, KayDeeCee said:

Just because they haven't changed the travel.state.gov website yet does not mean it is not now required. It is. And if you don't get it and marked off on the overseas K-1 exam form DS-3025, then you will need to get it for form I-693 in order to adjust status beginning Oct.1, 2021.

COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement

The US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended COVID-19 vaccination for the age-appropriate, general US population. Therefore, COVID-19 vaccination now meets the criteria for required vaccinations and is a requirement for applicants.

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services today announced that, effective Oct. 1, 2021, applicants subject to the immigration medical examination must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before the civil surgeon can complete an immigration medical examination and sign Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.

https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/covid-19-vaccination-required-for-immigration-medical-examinations

Is it clear, however, that the second link supersedes the policy manual that K visas do not require a complete medical assessment? I feel like this could just be a wait-and-see moment, but COVID shot isn't elevated any higher than the other vaccines. Is that link saying they'll refuse to issue any medical clearance whatsoever if the COVID shot is not there? In that case, the answer to OP's question is an unambiguous yes. But if not, as a technicality, it's still not required even if it does inflict headaches during AOS

Edited by slavaskii

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
2 minutes ago, slavaskii said:

Is it clear, however, that the second link supersedes the policy manual that K visas do not require a complete medical assessment? I feel like this could just be a wait-and-see moment, but COVID shot isn't elevated any higher than the other vaccines. Is that link saying they'll refuse to issue any medical clearance whatsoever if the COVID shot is not there? In that case, the answer to OP's question is an unambiguous yes. But if not, as a technicality, it's still not required even if it does inflict headaches during AOS

The vaccinations for a K-1 are not technically required(but many panel physicians still require them for the K-1 exam), but they are required for AOS. So whatever you did not have done that is a requirement for the I-693 for AOS will be required when you apply to adjust status. I assume they will still have the ability to apply for a religious waiver, but that will be up to the USCIS to decide.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
1 hour ago, KayDeeCee said:

The vaccinations for a K-1 are not technically required(but many panel physicians still require them for the K-1 exam), but they are required for AOS. So whatever you did not have done that is a requirement for the I-693 for AOS will be required when you apply to adjust status. I assume they will still have the ability to apply for a religious waiver, but that will be up to the USCIS to decide.

Ah yes, I see; I guess if OP had severe opposition to being vaccinated abroad they could do it now in the US, but just with added difficulty. However, the fact you can't fly to the US without the vaccine starting November pretty much forces the shot to be mandatory anyway, so it's probably safe to assume you absolutely need it to use the visa (even if on a technicality you can get it without). 

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Só as I understand it 

1. if you get your medical exam before October - the vaccine is not required. after - it is required 

2. After November - vaccine is required for everyone.  And a NIE doesn’t give exemptions to fiancé’s. (Is this correct?)

3 hours ago, Edward_Jaqueline said:

Só as I understand it 

1. if you get your medical exam before October - the vaccine is not required. after - it is required 

2. After November - vaccine is required for everyone.  And a NIE doesn’t give exemptions to fiancé’s. (Is this correct?)

This is correct 

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I was just curious about the whole situation to be honest, as I do not want to get the vaccine.

2 hours ago, waiting1234 said:

This is correct 

What if you file for a waiver after November? & it is then granted, I’m sure it will be fine to go to the medical & also travel. I think right now the waiver is the only option I can see.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.