14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I've received an RFE for my I-485 requesting for birth certificate, which I did send along with the translated version by a certified translator.

However, I am wondering if there is an expiry date on the translated copy? I have attained the translated version in Nov 2019 when I needed it for my K1 visa.

Is that why they requested for my birth certificate again?

Dated for almost 3 years before he proposed. 💍

16 Oct 2019 - Sent I-129F

18 Oct 2019 - Delivered

24 Oct 2019 - NOA1 notice date

7 Feb 2020 - NOA2 notice date

13 Mar 2020 - P3 Received

20 Mar 2020- DS-160 fee paid

15 Jan 2021 - Visa Approved!

21 Jan 2021 - Visa status changed to "issued"

27 March 2021 - Entered US

21 April 2021 - Married 👰🤵

30 April 2021- AOS delivered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Lili_K said:

I've received an RFE for my I-485 requesting for birth certificate, which I did send along with the translated version by a certified translator.

However, I am wondering if there is an expiry date on the translated copy? I have attained the translated version in Nov 2019 when I needed it for my K1 visa.

Birth certificates and birth certificate translations typically don't expire unless you are born again. 

YMMV

Timeline
3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Birth certificates and birth certificate translations typically don't expire unless you are born again. 

I know that the original birth certificate does not expire. I was just asking if they have a specific time frame for the translated copy to remain valid. 

18 Oct 2019 - Delivered

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I know that the original birth certificate does not expire. I was just asking if they have a specific time frame for the translated copy to remain valid. 

No.  Translation would only become invalid if the original document became invalid.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Unlike a police clearance certificate or similar, the information on your birth certificate will not change and therefore that or any translations of it do not expire.

I have heard that in some countries the gov birth certificate itself can expire due to chance of fraud or forgery (they update the security features of the form every now and then).  But this is uncommon.

Do you have the correct version of your BC based on your country noting that what the embassy accepted may not be what USCIS accepts.

Have you reviewed the requirements for your Country's BC on the visa reciprocity website?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
3 hours ago, Lili_K said:

I sent them the one which is translated sinece 2019. And it’s ok… i saw you received an rfe, and you’re already have an appointment date, how long you get that appointment from the date you sent them your rfe? And did your case update when they send you the biometric appointment letter or they just send it ? Thank you

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jeff fed said:

I sent them the one which is translated sinece 2019. And it’s ok… i saw you received an rfe, and you’re already have an appointment date, how long you get that appointment from the date you sent them your rfe? And did your case update when they send you the biometric appointment letter or they just send it ? Thank you

I received my biometric first and then I received the RFE
My biometric is scheduled for the 5 August. 

18 Oct 2019 - Delivered

12 hours ago, Lili_K said:

USCIS could have lost the one you submitted.  It happens.  Just send your birth certificate + translation again, along with the RFE letter.

15 hours ago, payxibka said:

Dominican birth certificates DO expire. (Or did a few years ago!) It was strange to see "date of expiration" on the same document as "date of birth" 😅 I think my husband's was good for 6 mos. The people in charge were thinking about removing expiration dates, but I don't know if it actually happened.

Edited by Daisy.Chain
Clarification

10 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Dominican birth certificates DO expire. (Or did a few years ago!) It was strange to see "date of expiration" on the same document as "date of birth" 😅 I think my husband's was good for 6 mos.

Birth certificates do not expire for the purpose of US immigration, even if the issuing country sets expiration dates for the documents.  The US government doesn't care about those expiration dates as long the BC is from the appropriate issuing office and conforms to the format specified on the DOS Reciprocity page.

Philippine BCs have issue dates that change every time someone orders a new certified copy.  Some local government agencies don't accept BCs that were issued more than a year ago, but the US embassy doesn't care at all about it when the BC is submitted for the visa process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
18 hours ago, Lili_K said:

Even for a translated version, there isn't a validity date 

11 hours ago, Chancy said:

Birth certificates do not expire for the purpose of US immigration, even if the issuing country sets expiration dates for the documents.  The US government doesn't care about those expiration dates as long the BC is from the appropriate issuing office and conforms to the format specified on the DOS Reciprocity page.

Philippine BCs have issue dates that change every time someone orders a new certified copy.  Some local government agencies don't accept BCs that were issued more than a year ago, but the US embassy doesn't care at all about it when the BC is submitted for the visa process.

Where do you see the BC expiration date not being important for the US? It makes sense and that's what I THOUGHT... but we weren't sure back a few years ago when we went through the process so we got a new one just in case. Is this specifically mentioned somewhere?

7 minutes ago, Daisy.Chain said:

Where do you see the BC expiration date not being important for the US? It makes sense and that's what I THOUGHT... but we weren't sure back a few years ago when we went through the process so we got a new one just in case. Is this specifically mentioned somewhere?

There is no requirement regarding expiration/issue/validity date for BC anywhere on the DOS Reciprocity page.  Here's the page specifically for DR -- https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/DominicanRepublic.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.