David & Diana R

Getting US Divorce Recognized by Philippines

14 posts in this topic

Okay I have one question.  I was married to a Filipina in 2012 in the Philippines. (That was my first mistake) I brought her to USA, she became US Citizen and all that. Last year she came home one day "After visiting a friend" and said it was over, there was no hope for us, she would not participate in counseling, church, etc to try to save our marriage.  She left.

So now we are divorced in the US and every other country in the world except for the Philippines.  Does anyone have any information how I can get the Philippines to recognize my divorce. Any suggestions of an attorney in Manila?  Estimates of cost and time frame?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Mahalo, David Olsten

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Philippines regional forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

4 minutes ago, Ryan H said:

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Progress Reports to Philippines regional forum.

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to put it.

2 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

Okay I have one question.  I was married to a Filipina in 2012 in the Philippines. (That was my first mistake) I brought her to USA, she became US Citizen and all that. Last year she came home one day "After visiting a friend" and said it was over, there was no hope for us, she would not participate in counseling, church, etc to try to save our marriage.  She left.

So now we are divorced in the US and every other country in the world except for the Philippines.  Does anyone have any information how I can get the Philippines to recognize my divorce. Any suggestions of an attorney in Manila?  Estimates of cost and time frame?

Mahalo, David Olsten

Let me guess.......   the reason you want to do this is because you have a new Filipina to bring over, right?

Seems like annulment is the only path forward for Philippine marriages that end, from what I've seen here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

So now we are divorced in the US and every other country in the world except for the Philippines.  Does anyone have any information how I can get the Philippines to recognize my divorce.

What is your objective?

To marry another Filipina?

Just do the Utah Zoom marriage.  You don’t need the involvement of the Philippines government.  

4 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

Mahalo, David Olsten

The annulment comment above is the old way of doing things this is no longer the way things are done, you have to hire an attorney in the Philippines to have the courts recognize your divorce this is relatively new it first happened I believe in 2018.  I would look for an attorney that has handled these cases before they will be able to get it handled faster, I have no idea how expensive it will be.  

https://www.rappler.com/voices/thought-leaders/analysis-getting-foreign-divorce-recognized-philippines

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

What is your objective?

To marry another Filipina?

Just do the Utah Zoom marriage.  You don’t need the involvement of the Philippines government.  

Yes, it is possible I will want to marry another Filipina.  I have been told that is is not a law that the Filipina report to the Philippine government about her marriage.(Utah marriage) 

The only stumbling block I see is the CFO classes.  Will the CFO class want to see more than the Utah marriage license?  Will they go back and check to see if she registered the marriage in the Philippines and if they did they would see she married a bigamist?

Any help is appreciated,

Mahalo, David

On 7/19/2021 at 3:39 AM, Kby175 said:

The annulment comment above is the old way of doing things this is no longer the way things are done, you have to hire an attorney in the Philippines to have the courts recognize your divorce this is relatively new it first happened I believe in 2018.  I would look for an attorney that has handled these cases before they will be able to get it handled faster, I have no idea how expensive it will be.  

https://www.rappler.com/voices/thought-leaders/analysis-getting-foreign-divorce-recognized-philippines

Mahalo,  I thought the annulment answer above was wrong.  Thanks for the info.

Aloha, David O.

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove personal information

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, David & Diana R said:

Yes, it is possible I will want to marry another Filipina.  I have been told that is is not a law that the Filipina report to the Philippine government about her marriage.(Utah marriage) 

The only stumbling block I see is the CFO classes.  Will the CFO class want to see more than the Utah marriage license?  Will they go back and check to see if she registered the marriage in the Philippines and if they did they would see she married a bigamist?

Any help is appreciated,

Mahalo, David

The UN grants everybody freedom of movement.  The Philippines is in violation of her international rights.  

Round trip ticket to Singapore.  Separate ticket from Singapore to USA.  

signed: someone who illegally married a Burmese citizen and is proud of it.  

Edited by Mike E

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The UN grants everybody freedom of movement.  The Philippines is in violation of her international rights.  

Round trip ticket to Singapore.  Separate ticket from Singapore to USA.  

signed: someone who illegally married a Burmese citizen and is proud of it.  

Wait, Mike. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I believe David (OP), as I recall from previous posts, researching how to:

1) have his US divorce from Filipina wife #1 recognized in the Philippines

so that he can

2) possibly marry his new Filipina partner via Utah Zoom marriage, and use the Utah marriage certificate to obtain a Philippine visa and enter the Philippines to visit her. As far as I know, David's new partner is a long way away from travelling to the US. In fact, I am not 100% sure if he and his new partner have met in person yet.

See previous posts here:

Edited by Adventine

3 hours ago, Adventine said:

so that he can

2) possibly marry his new Filipina partner via Utah Zoom marriage, and use the Utah marriage certificate to obtain a Philippine visa and enter the Philippines to visit her. As far as I know, David's new partner is a long way away from travelling to the US. In fact, I am not 100% sure if he and his new partner have met in person yet.

I know David and that is correct. He is hoping that he can get around any problems without the recognition of divorce. But it would not be a bad idea to try and get the recognition of divorce done if possible, so that if it does create any problem, he is ahead of the game.

He is looking for recommendations on lawyers, price, and timelines.

8 hours ago, Adventine said:

Wait, Mike. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. I believe David (OP), as I recall from previous posts, researching how to:

so that he can

See previous posts here:

Yes we have not met in person yet.  I had hoped that the Utah marriage could be done while I am in Hawaii and she is in PI.  But further research makes it appear that the PI won't let me in just because we are married. I understand it takes a very serious reason to be granted access to the PI.  I also know that I cannot start the visa process until we have consummated the marriage (yee-haa) met in person.  I am now worried that the PI will not let her take the CFO class if we do not report the UTAH marriage to the Philippines consulate in San Francisco, USA.  The Philippines is the most controlling country in the world....without a doubt.  As far as the Philippines is concerned I will be a bigamist if I marry my new Filipina fiance.  So now I am looking into having my US granted divorce  recognized by the bass-ackwards Philippine government.

8 hours ago, Adventine said:

David,

You know I have been following you as we are Honolulu-mates. First let me say that I am SO sorry to hear this. PM me with your phone number or email if you want to grab a beverage and talk Next, and more to your point, I BELIEVE that the US Embassy in Manila recognizes US divorce, so no worries about marrying another Pilipina (just not in the Philippines!) Check with Hank or @Greenbaum for confirmation on what I just said....and seriously, PM me to talk.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.