MartinMangue

Work visa after a previous visa denial

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How long ago was the overstay?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Is the US Employer aware you have a ban? Some work visa's can take a long time, which one are you looking at?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

There may be a chance of approval after Feb 2023.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What type of visa is the company willing to sponsor you for?  Are they aware of the ban?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

A ban is a ban. If you had left before 6 months overstay you would not have a ban, unfortunately you crossed the line into 3 year ban territory. I stand corrected but I don’t know of any waiver from a ban for a work visa. In Feb 2023 the ban will be over and you can apply then. 

The 3-year Unlawful Presence Bar

If you are an alien and you are not a lawful permanent resident of the United States, you may be inadmissible for three years if:

• You accrued more than 180 days but less than one year of unlawful presence during a single stay in the United States on or after April 1, 1997; and
  • You voluntarily departed the United States before DHS initiated either expedited removal proceedings under INA 235(b)(1) or removal proceedings before an immigration judge under INA 240.

This 3-year inadmissibility period starts when you depart or are removed from the United States. 

During this 3-year inadmissibility period, you are not eligible to:

• Receive an immigrant (permanent) visa or a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa to come to the United States;
  • Adjust your status in the United States to that of a lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder); or
  • Be admitted to the United States at a port of entry.

15 hours ago, Boiler said:

Is the US Employer aware you have a ban? Some work visa's can take a long time, which one are you looking at?

I have not look into that in detail. But yes, the US. Employer is well aware of the ban. I interned with them when I was student. The company is interested in any Visa that would not require to leave the country every 3 months or something like that.

54 minutes ago, MartinMangue said:

The company is interested in any Visa that would not require to leave the country every 3 months or something like that.

Huh? Sounds like you would be trying to use a non-work visa to work, why else would you need to leave every 3 months? To be honest it sounds like you have not learnt the lesson of how the US deals with visa violators. Anyway as you will have seen from the USCIS extract I posted above, the ban prevents any kind of visa or even being allowed into the country. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
2 hours ago, MartinMangue said:

I have not look into that in detail. But yes, the US. Employer is well aware of the ban. I interned with them when I was student. The company is interested in any Visa that would not require to leave the country every 3 months or something like that.

There is no 3 month work visa.

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Huh? Sounds like you would be trying to use a non-work visa to work, why else would you need to leave every 3 months? To be honest it sounds like you have not learnt the lesson of how the US deals with visa violators. Anyway as you will have seen from the USCIS extract I posted above, the ban prevents any kind of visa or even being allowed into the country. 

You are right I have not learn, thats why I am here to know how this works. I was in us for 5 years, and never went out of status. My only mistake was to over stay trying to find a job after graduation. 

Its not my intention to be leaving the US. Every 3 months, I just mentioned it because I know there is vistor and Business Visas that have such requirement. 

Timeline

Not so much leave the US, well as a visitor any long stays will be scrutinized if applying for another visit.

Plus they do not allow you to work, limited Business activities at best.

There is a non immigrant waiver for an overstay - D3, takes time and has to be recommended by the Consulate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.