Zaczon

Bringing sibling to the state

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello guys I need a clarification please.So I am a US citizen and I want to file for my little sister who is 15 years old.Is there any chance it wont take long since she is not above 18? 
or it will still take 5-10 years like it is for every sibling regardless the age?

Thank you.

15+ years more likely. It doesn’t matter how old she is when you petition her - same (if not longer) waiting time. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
1 minute ago, milimelo said:

15+ years more likely. It doesn’t matter how old she is when you petition her - same (if not longer) waiting time. 

Oh for real?

Anyway thanks.

1 minute ago, Zaczon said:

Oh for real?

Anyway thanks.

Personal experience- my sister was early teens when I petitioned her - she’s still waiting. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

13 minutes ago, Zaczon said:

Oh for real?

Anyway thanks.

That is how long sibling visas take...

Timeline
42 minutes ago, milimelo said:

39 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Personal experience- my sister was early teens when I petitioned her - she’s still waiting. 

How long have you been waiting now?

52 minutes ago, Zaczon said:

Hello guys I need a clarification please.So I am a US citizen and I want to file for my little sister who is 15 years old.Is there any chance it wont take long since she is not above 18? 
or it will still take 5-10 years like it is for every sibling regardless the age?

Thank you.

For siblings age or marital status makes no difference. Same for all. As already mentioned it’s more like 15 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

For now, if you petition for her she's likely to be 30+ years before a visa number becomes available to her. Keep track of visa numbers here (F4 Preference):

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal/visa-law0/visa-bulletin/2021/visa-bulletin-for-july-2021.html

IMO, I will say go ahead and petition her. There's been talks of immigration reform for sometime now; although it has gotten virtually no traction at all in congress. But when the day comes and immigration reform actually does happen; who knows, it might or might be beneficial to people whose petitions are already in the pipeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Your parents, if they have GC, can petition for her and it'll be faster 🤷🏽‍♂️

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Timeline
23 hours ago, Timona said:

Your parents, if they have GC, can petition for her and it'll be faster 🤷🏽‍♂️

But I heard if a parent files for a child who is older than 18 it takes forever as well doesnt it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

the age isn't 18, it's 21, so if your parents are LPR one of the should file immediately,  so she comes before she is 21. even if she was over 21, it will always take less than if you were to file for her

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

@aleful gave you the answer, @Zaczon

Edited by Timona

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

52 minutes ago, Zaczon said:

But I heard if a parent files for a child who is older than 18 it takes forever as well doesnt it?

Firstly, the cutoff is 21 not 18

second it is not “forever”, it is about 2 years if under 21, and 5-7 years if over 21 if they are single, which are both a lot faster than a sibling visa. Only if the child gets married then it takes almost as long as a sibling visa (and then the added issue that the parent needs to be a citizen to sponsor  married child )

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.