RevGreen

Application for Returning Resident Visa

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello

Does anyone have experience with obtaining a Returning Resident Visa (Form DS-117)?

We left the US and have been away for over 2 years. But 1 year of that was COVID. Now that things have normalized a bit we want to return to America. I understand it's not a guarantee. If we are declined we will redo the process and try to obtain an IR-1 visa.

I am looking for anyone with experience of advice in obtaining the Returning Resident Visa.

Timeline

And a bit more context -

My wife and I married in July 2018. Around July 2019 we moved back to her home country (Thailand). We did not obtain a re entry permit as we only expected to stay away for roughly 6-8 months (tying up loose ends with her family, moving some more of our belongings, etc). But then COVID hit Thailand around Jan 2020 (Thailand was the first country with cases outside of China) and we became a bit anxious to travel. And of course the rest is history.

Her GC expired in Feb 2021. We are both still in Thailand. We have maintained ties by continuing to file our taxes as a married couple. We do not own property or assets in America (never have).

Our intention is to apply with the condition that covid impacted our plans and we wanted to wait until we had a safer option for returning. Now my job is asking me to relocate (from remote to a new office in Kentucky) and of course vaccines are widely available. So  it's as good a time as any to finally go back (if granted permission)

13 minutes ago, RevGreen said:

And a bit more context -

My wife and I married in July 2018. Around July 2019 we moved back to her home country (Thailand). We did not obtain a re entry permit as we only expected to stay away for roughly 6-8 months (tying up loose ends with her family, moving some more of our belongings, etc). But then COVID hit Thailand around Jan 2020 (Thailand was the first country with cases outside of China) and we became a bit anxious to travel. And of course the rest is history.

Her GC expired in Feb 2021. We are both still in Thailand. We have maintained ties by continuing to file our taxes as a married couple. We do not own property or assets in America (never have).

Our intention is to apply with the condition that covid impacted our plans and we wanted to wait until we had a safer option for returning. Now my job is asking me to relocate (from remote to a new office in Kentucky) and of course vaccines are widely available. So  it's as good a time as any to finally go back (if granted permission)

I believe you would have had to apply for that while she was still inside the US.  You could try requesting DCF maybe?

Timeline

From the State Dept. website:

If you are an LPR unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the green card (1 year) or the validity of the Re-entry Permit (2 years), you may be eligible and can apply at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa.

So we will apply for the SB-1 at our local Bangkok US Embassy.

Timeline

I have a few questions regarding the DS-117 form.

In section 8 it asks the following:

1. DHS "A" Number
  2. Immigration Category
  3. Previous Immigrant Visa
    1. Date of Issue
    2. Place of Issue
  4. Adjustment of Status
    1. Date of Adjustment of Status with DHS (IF ANY)
    2. Place of Adjustment of Status with DHS (IF ANY)

I am wondering about 'Immigration Category'. Would that be her original visa - which was a K-1. Or would that be her category when she departed the US - which was Legal Permanent Resident?

Also what about the Adjustment of Status Date/Place? Would that be the notification date on the I-797 approving the permanent residence application? Or something else? And what about the place? Is that the field office where we went to interview?

Edited by RevGreen

Timeline
1 hour ago, milimelo said:

Sounds like the wife had 2-yr green card and you let it lapse. If that’s the case, the only thing you can do is start again with I-130. 

No... you are wrong. If you read what I shared:

If you are an LPR unable to return to the United States within the travel validity period of the green card (1 year) or the validity of the Re-entry Permit (2 years), you may be eligible and can apply at the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a Returning Resident (SB-1) immigrant visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So she has removed conditions? I am unclear what has happened as it appears she needed to do that.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 hours ago, Boiler said:

So she has removed conditions? I am unclear what has happened as it appears she needed to do that.

Again, from the local US Embassy website:

A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the U.S. for longer than one year, or the validity of green card or one year whichever shorter (for conditional resident), or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

Edited by RevGreen

1 hour ago, aaron2020 said:

Your wife's conditional green card expired in Feb. 2021.  You failed to file for removal of conditions.  So, how is your wife still a conditional resident?

Your wife will not be granted an SB-1 since her conditional residency has expired.  

You need to file an I-130. 

Exactly.

Do come back and let us know what happens - I don’t see SB-1 working for you as your wife didn’t file to remove conditions on her 2-yr green card. You will probably want to file I-130 online and face the reality that some separation will be inevitable. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 hours ago, RevGreen said:

Again, from the local US Embassy website:

So she has removed conditions, should be a simple answer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

So she has removed conditions, should be a simple answer.

Where are you getting that?  It doesn't sound like she did ROC.  It doesn't sound like OP is even familiar with ROC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.