Lynxwarden

How long does it take for USCIS to make a decision for AOS?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I'm feeling frustrated. We had our AOS interview for me on the 8th of March - at the end of the interview, the person interviewing us said that he was approving us and that we would be getting the green card within 2 weeks. But since then, nothing.

How long does it typically take? My work permit ran out on the 23rd of March and I feel like I'm back to being in limbo again after waiting almost 2 years to crawl out of it since filing in 2019. 

I-129F Case Received - August 29 2018

I-129F Approved - January 27 2019

Case Moved to Consulate - March 05 2019

Medical Exam Completed - March 21 2019

Interview - Done and Accepted on May 9th 2019 ❤️ 

Moved countries on May 19

Timeline
55 minutes ago, AJ2019 said:

I believe it should not take that long, has the online status changed to approved? I would recommend trying to reach out to USCIS any way you can, even Ombudsman. 

Sadly no, it just says "Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS" still. I've thought about maybe trying to call the place we had our interview but I feel like they'd just say "we can't give that information without an appointment" or something

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Lynxwarden said:

Sadly no, it just says "Case Is Being Actively Reviewed By USCIS" still. I've thought about maybe trying to call the place we had our interview but I feel like they'd just say "we can't give that information without an appointment" or something

do they even published local field office telephone numbers?

YMMV

Timeline
2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

do they even published local field office telephone numbers?

I just looked it up to double check, doesn't look like that's possible which isn't surprising. Still, a girl can hope 😥😪

You can call customer service and ask for a tier 2 officer. They can actually open your file and see where the case is at. 

On the bright side, as it has been over 2 years since you filed, so you'll receive a 10 years GC instead of the conditional one. 

9 hours ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You can call customer service and ask for a tier 2 officer. They can actually open your file and see where the case is at. 

On the bright side, as it has been over 2 years since you filed, so you'll receive a 10 years GC instead of the conditional one. 

No.  OP's marriage is less than two years old.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I think you should all hold your horses. For citizenship, USCIS has 120 days from the date of the initial naturalization interview to issue a decision. If the decision is not issued within 120 days of the interview, an applicant may request judicial review.

Although not explicitly stated for adjustment of status, I would expect similar time for them to adjudicate your petition. You’re not even at the two month mark, in my unsolicited opinion you’re not yet in a position to demand anything of USCIS.

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline
20 hours ago, Lynxwarden said:

yeah, they don't even give out appointments without an emergency. I agree though that reaching out to tier two officer will be helpful. Maybe if your EAD/AP is close to expiring that might be enough of an emergency?

I’m in a similar situation, we had our interview March 24, she didn’t say approved and didn’t give me any paper saying RFI etc.. just said she’d look at it later and make a decision.. a week later our file updated to “interview complete, case must be reviewed” and nothing since... it’s soooooo frustrating.. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

Timeline
10 hours ago, Duke & Marie said:

I’m in a similar situation, we had our interview March 24, she didn’t say approved and didn’t give me any paper saying RFI etc.. just said she’d look at it later and make a decision.. a week later our file updated to “interview complete, case must be reviewed” and nothing since... it’s soooooo frustrating.. 

That's actually kind of comforting to hear, it really sucks but I'm glad I'm not alone in this, it's really frustrating

Timeline
18 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

No.  OP's marriage is less than two years old.

Correct - will be 2 years in June tho!

12 hours ago, AJ2019 said:

yeah, they don't even give out appointments without an emergency. I agree though that reaching out to tier two officer will be helpful. Maybe if your EAD/AP is close to expiring that might be enough of an emergency?

No- those can be renewed free of charge.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

No- those can be renewed free of charge.

Wait, really? I thought those were only free of charge while filing for AOS. Am I mistaken about the renewal process?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.