Ellie__

Long distance relationships during Covid

43 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, JeffDR said:

Non-official and non religious with no legal value or standing so I have to disagree with your assumption.

Unfortunately, it's not just an assumption -- there have been many actual cases reported here on VJ of K1 visas denied for unofficial ceremonies.  That's why I and others here point out this pitfall for other readers to learn and refrain from holding any ceremony prior to US entry.  Search the K1 forums for "too married for K1" or "ceremony AND denial".  Hopefully, it won't happen with your case.  But if your luck is extra bad and it does happen, a lawyer can't help you as there is no appeal for K1 denial.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chancy said:

Unfortunately, it's not just an assumption -- there have been many actual cases reported here on VJ of K1 visas denied for unofficial ceremonies.  That's why I and others here point out this pitfall for other readers to learn and refrain from holding any ceremony prior to US entry.  Search the K1 forums for "too married for K1" or "ceremony AND denial".  Hopefully, it won't happen with your case.  But if your luck is extra bad and it does happen, a lawyer can't help you as there is no appeal for K1 denial.

Maybe and if that is the case then we marry in Europe  and file for an I-130(CR1) - the government can’t keep me from marrying my fiancé .... 

4 hours ago, JeffDR said:

Maybe and if that is the case then we marry in Europe  and file for an I-130(CR1) - the government can’t keep me from marrying my fiancé .... 

In those cases denied for suspicion of being married, that's exactly what the consul officer recommended.  "Need CR1 visa" or something to that effect.  It's not that the government wanted to keep the couples apart.  They just wanted to be absolutely sure that the couples were not pursuing K1 fraudulently.  As in, jumping the line of married couples wanting to enter the US, by faking their way through the previously-much-much-faster K1 route.

In any case, it's probably not something to worry about.  Like I said, you'd have to be extra unlucky for that to happen.  The warning is to dissuade other engaged couples thinking of doing an unofficial ceremony, so they can eliminate that small risk of denial due to being "too married for K1".

15 hours ago, JeffDR said:

Non-official and non religious with no legal value or standing so I have to disagree with your assumption. Marriage in any country is not legal or official if not done in a court, religious venue, notary etc. and if the government is taking all this time for background check they will definitely see none of us is married anywhere. If they raise problems we hire an attorney LOL

Please do the VJ searches that @Chancy
suggested to see what happened to other posters who also thought unofficial ceremonies were perfectly acceptable during the K1 visa process. It only takes 1 stray social media post from one of your guests, or photo interpreted the wrong way, to lead the consular officers to believe that you are already married and therefore no longer qualified for the K1.

You could certainly hire a lawyer to fight that, but why risk the potential time and expense?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Portugal
Timeline
8 hours ago, Chancy said:

In those cases denied for suspicion of being married, that's exactly what the consul officer recommended.  "Need CR1 visa" or something to that effect.  It's not that the government wanted to keep the couples apart.  They just wanted to be absolutely sure that the couples were not pursuing K1 fraudulently.  As in, jumping the line of married couples wanting to enter the US, by faking their way through the previously-much-much-faster K1 route.

In any case, it's probably not something to worry about.  Like I said, you'd have to be extra unlucky for that to happen.  The warning is to dissuade other engaged couples thinking of doing an unofficial ceremony, so they can eliminate that small risk of denial due to being "too married for K1".

Understood but imagined the scenario where we already sleep and are currently “living together” elsewhere so we can be together while USCIs takes its sweet time to review our application? It’s like living as a couple already and I can prove that no one is jumping the line in my case, we are not in a hurry at all so much that I have been traveling back and forth between Brazil and the US since November of last year .... but I totally understand the potential “judgement” of a consular officer however I believe they should base their decisions on circumstantial evidence - as Americans we can petition our government & be heard

Filed: Other Timeline
On 4/13/2021 at 2:27 PM, Ellie__ said:

Hi guys! How are you dealing with your long distance with covid? Me and my boyfriend have been apart for a year already and I am feeling so drained, he's also in the military so I guess it gets a little more complicated. 😢  Hopefully we'll be able to reunite soon and all of this mess will come to an end.

Right now I go to her when ever I getbthe chance Ive been going to Brazil 1 or 2 times a year to see my fiance and so were waiting for NVC as well 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 4/14/2021 at 1:12 AM, Ellie__ said:

We don't know yet. He'll be in Europe for a while so I think we'll start doing it once he's back to the US.

He can apply from Europe if he wants to, just saying.    I'm military as well. 

My now wife and I would go on movie dates. We'd both go see the same movie, around the same time on the weekends. She was in Vietnam, I in Dallas so it was roughly a 12 hour difference, so it was early morning movies for me and later night movies for her. We'd then both get popcorn and the same soda. You'd be surprised how much something like that can make you feel connected. Perhaps it's not a movie, if that's even possible during COVID, and most people do things with their partners where you're with each other and not interacting. Doing those things will help reduce that feeling.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My fiance and I have been seperated physically for almost 2 years, We will finally be able to see each other next month nearly 2 years since 2019. We have copped by everyday communication  and keeping busy with our everyday lives and keeping the faith knowing that this too shall pass. More to come on our journey this pause was just part of the journey. 

On 4/13/2021 at 11:27 AM, Ellie__ said:

Hi guys! How are you dealing with your long distance with covid? Me and my boyfriend have been apart for a year already and I am feeling so drained, he's also in the military so I guess it gets a little more complicated. 😢  Hopefully we'll be able to reunite soon and all of this mess will come to an end.

Thanks to modern technology, we watch a movie together. We just have each other on video and start the movie at the same time. Obviously not great but it’s something. 

On 5/24/2021 at 3:49 AM, SpartyPNW said:

Thanks to modern technology, we watch a movie together. We just have each other on video and start the movie at the same time. Obviously not great but it’s something. 

Yes, this is what we do too. And we read, knit and play videogames together. It's somewhat bareable this way. My wife left for the states at the end of November, so we've been 6 months apart now. I have good hopes, it won't be much more than 2 months from here on out.

Our timeline:

Married:                      07/04/2016

Filed for I-130:           09/25/2020

NOA1 Date:                09/25/2020

Active review:            03/11/2021

I-130 Approved:         03/12/2021

Case sent to DOS:     03/15/2021

NVC Received:           03/15/2021

DS-260 fees paid:      03/16/2021         

I-864 fees paid:          03/16/2021

Sent IV package:        03/24/2021

Sent I-864 package:  03/24/2021
Document review:     04/27/2021 (Marriage certificate rejected, somehow I mistakenly uploaded a different document)

Re-sent IV package:  05/04/2021

NVC Completed:        06/04/2021

NVC Left:                    06/15/2021

Consulate Received: 06/15/2021

Medical Exam:           06/29/2021

Interview date:           07/13/2021 (review)

VISA approval:           07/13/2021

VISA Received:          07/17/2021

US Entry:                     07/28/2021 (POE: Chicago)(review)

Received SS card:     08/09/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.