fem_femme

I can't pay the USCIS green card fee! Need help please ASAP

31 posts in this topic

Hi guys. So my husband just left the US Embassy with a CR-1 visa approved and stamped in his passport! He was already told a week ago to visit the Embassy again today to pick up his passport so he did and a week ago we booked his flight for the day after of his visa pick up to fly to the US (flying tomorrow early morning) and he also did his covid test for the flight and all he needs to do now after leaving the Embassy today is to go back and pack his bags for an early flight tomorrow. He was given instructions where to pay for his green card and it says to pay for it BEFORE he enters the US.

Because he just got his visa an hour ago or less, I tried to follow instructions to pay for it myself but it keeps showing 'error' each time and in one instance it says that if you received your US visa, to wait 5 days to try again and if it doesn't work to contact USCIS. Well, now we don't have 5 days to wait as he is flying to the US tomorrow and I can't seem to go beyond the 'error' notice on USCIS fee website. The instructions, as mentioned, says we need to pay before he enters the US and I'm panicking because we thought all we smooth and now I'm not sure what to do. We we cancel his trvael arrangement, it's going to cost us around $500 now to wait several days to try paying for it again. Please advise as I'm really upset now and not sure what to do as we are running out of time rpetty much considering that where my husband is it's mid day and he's supposd to go to the airport early morning tomorrow. There's no way for him to pay for his US visa later on at all? 

Edited by fem_femme
grammar

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

This is what i just pulled up and to my knowledge you can pay either way it is recommended to pay before entering so there is no delays. Go on USCIS to read more i hope someone that just went through this help you fasterimage.png.d47d1617bc4a39d80e8fed53ba4d6bb8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, fem_femme said:

Hi guys. So my husband just left the US Embassy with a CR-1 visa approved and stamped in his passport! He was already told a week ago to visit the Embassy again today to pick up his passport so he did and a week ago we booked his flight for the day after of his visa pick up to fly to the US (flying tomorrow early morning) and he also did his covid test for the flight and all he needs to do now after leaving the Embassy today is to go back and pack his bags for an early flight tomorrow. He was given instructions where to pay for his green card and it says to pay for it BEFORE he enters the US.

Because he just got his visa an hour ago or less, I tried to follow instructions to pay for it myself but it keeps showing 'error' each time and in one instance it says that if you received your US visa, to wait 5 days to try again and if it doesn't work to contact USCIS. Well, now we don't have 5 days to wait as he is flying to the US tomorrow and I can't seem to go beyond the 'error' notice on USCIS fee website. The instructions, as mentioned, says we need to pay before he enters the US and I'm panicking because we thought all we smooth and now I'm not sure what to do. We we cancel his trvael arrangement, it's going to cost us around $500 now to wait several days to try paying for it again. Please advise as I'm really upset now and not sure what to do as we are running out of time rpetty much considering that where my husband is it's mid day and he's supposd to go to the airport early morning tomorrow. There's no way for him to pay for his US visa later on at all? 

It doesn't have to be paid before entry.  A greencard won't be issued until it has been paid,  so the sooner the better,  but it doesn't have any impact on his travel. 

YMMV

They suggest to pay as early as possible, to make sure the card is received in a timely manner.  However, for one year after entry, the stamped visa is the same as a physical card.  You'll have time to fix it, should you still have problems in a few days.

One more question for you guys...im feeling relieve that he doesn't have to pay before his travel...ill try to pay for it before his flight but in case if i still get the error, can u please tell me then when he needs to pay for it AFTER he enters the US? At teh border pattrol or we can do it after he leaves the airport a few days later from the comfort of our home? I need to explain this to him so he is aware...please advise. 

1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

They suggest to pay as early as possible, to make sure the card is received in a timely manner.  However, for one year after entry, the stamped visa is the same as a physical card.  You'll have time to fix it, should you still have problems in a few days.

oh wow thanks so much...i panicked and freaked out..actually both of us...I just posed one more question here so id appreciate if you could advise me the last time so we will know at which stage then he can pay for his green card at the border or later on from our home when he finally arrives to my place? Just curious because i need to explain this to him. 

3 minutes ago, fem_femme said:

One more question for you guys...im feeling relieve that he doesn't have to pay before his travel...ill try to pay for it before his flight but in case if i still get the error, can u please tell me then when he needs to pay for it AFTER he enters the US? At teh border pattrol or we can do it after he leaves the airport a few days later from the comfort of our home? I need to explain this to him so he is aware...please advise. 

You pay when you're able to pay.  Tell him not to worry about it, it's in process of being paid. 

Put a reminder to make sure you've been able to pay it next week?  Don't forget to pay it, but a week isn't unreasonable, and will allow time to find a solution, should there be another error message.

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
28 minutes ago, fem_femme said:

What error did you get?  It is common to enter the incorrect number of digits and/or letters.  The payment must be made online.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

12 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

What error did you get?  It is common to enter the incorrect number of digits and/or letters.  The payment must be made online.

the digits were all correct as i double checked on the form they gave him but i did attempt to pay around 30 minutes after the US Embassy generated and stuck the visa in his passport so coud it be that i tried to pay for it fairly quickly and the system had not updated after 30 minutes of his visa pick up? ill try again but maybe this could be a possible reason?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1 hour ago, fem_femme said:

oh wow thanks so much...i panicked and freaked out..actually both of us...I just posed one more question here so id appreciate if you could advise me the last time so we will know at which stage then he can pay for his green card at the border or later on from our home when he finally arrives to my place? Just curious because i need to explain this to him. 

As others have already answered, he won't be making any payments at the border. If the error persists, wait the five days then try again. If he gets asked about the fee upon his arrival, he should simply tell the truth and say that you tried to pay it but the system asked you to try again in five days. All will be fine.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
7 hours ago, fem_femme said:

What if you screenshot the error message and habe him print it? That way he can also prove it once he enters, if they even ask for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.