seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hungary
Timeline
1 hour ago, Scandi said:

When I went to SSA they asked for my naturalization certificate that shows my new name (had to be the original), my name change document, my passport (that also shows my new name) and my drivers license (old name). Easy peasy, took a couple of minutes and then a few extra for them to take copies of all my originals.

You don't need to put anything under SSN for your parents if they don't have any. 

Thank you! I thought passport is enough. I'm still waiting for my certificate to come back. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
39 minutes ago, keyuree1 said:

Thank you! I thought passport is enough. I'm still waiting for my certificate to come back. 

The passport is enough to just update that you're a citizen, but if you had a name change they also want to see the certificate (they did in my case at least). 

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
On 4/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, nepttako said:

Hi there, I am going through the process myself too. I just received my passport book. Sadly I didn't order a passport card. I am still waiting for my NC to be returned. By going through all the threads here. I am planning to go to my local SSA office and give them the documents:

1. my new passport book

2. name change court order

3. application

On the instruction of the form, if your parents don't have SSN number, you can check 'unknown'.

Updated today's SSA visit:

Just walked in my local SSA office without appointment. Handed them my NC, driver's license, Name change court order, and application. All originals. The officer asked if I changed my name because I got married. I said I just recently got my citizenship. On the oath ceremony, I change my last name to my husband's last name. It seems like she didn't understand the connection between getting a citizenship and name change. She asked for a marriage certificate. I said I married four years ago. I don't have it with me today. She started to work on the screen and checked my documents. I guess a court order suffices.

I though they were going to take away my NC until further notice. In the end, they returned all my documents and gave me a receipt. New card will be arrived in two weeks. I checked my online account later the day. My name has been updated, but still showed non-citizen. I'll check again in two weeks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
1 hour ago, nepttako said:

Just walked in my local SSA office without appointment. Handed them my NC, driver's license, Name change court order, and application. All originals. The officer asked if I changed my name because I got married. I said I just recently got my citizenship. On the oath ceremony, I change my last name to my husband's last name. It seems like she didn't understand the connection between getting a citizenship and name change. She asked for a marriage certificate. I said I married four years ago. I don't have it with me today. She started to work on the screen and checked my documents. I guess a court order suffices.

I though they were going to take away my NC until further notice. In the end, they returned all my documents and gave me a receipt. New card will be arrived in two weeks. I checked my online account later the day. My name has been updated, but still showed non-citizen. I'll check again in two weeks.

If you're only taking your husband's last name, then the marriage certificate is all you need. The marriage certificate is proof of your name change if you choose to take his last name, you can do that at any point during your marriage.

If you want to change your name in any other way (adding or removing names, change the first name etc), then you change your name at the citizenship stage, as it's free compared to going through court afterwards. 

I guess that's why the lady at the SSA was confused, you have been married for so long and could've changed your name at the SSA anytime you wanted during that time with your marriage certificate.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

My wife went in to update, didn't do any name change as it was already updated based on our marriage but I am worried as the new SS removed the hyphen in her last name.

Her prior SS Card had the hyphen in the last name which is correct, and agrees to all of her other paperwork (passport, license, naturalization).

Her new SS after updating for citizenship - they told her they cannot put the hyphen so it doesn't have it. This makes no sense as her old pre-citizen SS card has the hyphen. Not sure if the hyphen missing there is significant or not, and if she needs to go back in there and find someone who knows how to handle the hyphens in the system. 

AjIr9Cp.jpgVBcIOnI.giftCxpVPB.gif19B8PJM.gifWJvjtpL.gifv0iSLWp.gif

2079070924_Webp.net-resizeimage(3).png.40aa360e06b2e929a52d4af17362bc4a.png

jDSUBz2.gif

Timeline
21 hours ago, Scandi said:

If you're only taking your husband's last name, then the marriage certificate is all you need. The marriage certificate is proof of your name change if you choose to take his last name, you can do that at any point during your marriage.

If you want to change your name in any other way (adding or removing names, change the first name etc), then you change your name at the citizenship stage, as it's free compared to going through court afterwards. 

I guess that's why the lady at the SSA was confused, you have been married for so long and could've changed your name at the SSA anytime you wanted during that time with your marriage certificate.

yeah, I think you are right. For people who applied immigration process, it is recommended to change name after finished the process. Additionally, like you said, it is free to do so at the oath.

Timeline
23 hours ago, nepttako said:

I logged in again today and found the 'non-citizen' part has disappeared. The page also shows retirement and benefit etc. I guess it has been updated to citizen account.

• 1 month later...

Adding my pleasant, quick experience updating my SS status:

Walked in today at 9:05 am without an appointment. This was at the Louisville, CO branch. Masks and social distancing rules in place. Checked in at an electronic kiosk then took a seat. Chairs also marked so that clients don't sit less than six feet apart. My number was called after three minutes. I entered a hallway with chairs and counter windows. I stated my purpose for the visit which were: 1) to update my citizenship status, and 2) to apply for a new card because my present one has the DHS restriction on it.

The clerk was efficient and friendly. I was a bit hard to hear her because of the acoustics of the hall. The woman behind me had a difficult case and she was upset and so even if I didn't want to hear her, everyone in the hallway could. I could also hear another lady down the hall, also a customer.

The clerk asked for my driver's license and proof that I was a citizen. I gave her my naturalization certificate. I also had my passport and passport card just in case. She verified some of my information, and asked me to double check the information that would appear on my new SS card. She then gave me back my documents. Said my new card would arrive in the mail after two weeks.

I was out of the SS office 30 to 40 minutes since I arrived. 

If I had known that a walk in was this easy, I would not have spend two hours total on the phone trying to schedule an appoinment.

Take care everyone and be well!

Blue Bianchi

Blue Bianchi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

01/08/2020 Day 00 - Submitted N-400 online

01/11/2020 Day 03 - Received NOA online, Priority Date January 8, 2020

01/14/2020 Day 06 - Received notice of Biometrics appointment online.

01/31/2020 Day 20 - Biometrics Appointment (scheduled)
07/08/2020 Day 183 - Received online notice of citizenship interview 
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship interview
08/21/2020 Day 227 - Citizenship Oath (Same day as interview!)

• 1 month later...

So they say you should wait at least 10 days after Oath and Certificate before visiting asking SSA to update your citizenship status. 

Yesterday (Friday) I went to apply for an Enhanced Driver's Licence and was successful. First the clerk at the Licensing Office here in Washinton State said that since I only received citizenship the day before (Thursday) the system might not be updated yet and I'd have to come back at a later date. 

But the system, which must be a Federal Database, recognized me and I was able to obtain my Enhanced DL.

Do you think as Licensing sees my new status that SSA will too and that I will not need to wait the suggested 10 days?

I'd like to go to SSA on Monday and use my Certificate there and then be able to send it off with my passport application on Wednesday

Edited by seattlegc

AOS from B1/2

05/19/2016: AOS/ EAD/ AP Sent (USPS 2-day priority)

05/21/2016: Packet delivered to Chicago lockbox
05/31/2016: NOA 1 e-notifications x 4 (emails and texts, cheques cashed)
06/03/2016: NOA 1 letters received x 4
06/18/2016: Biometrics letter received (appointment June 30)
06/21/2016: Biometrics early walk in @ USCIS Tukwila (Seattle, WA)

08/11/2016: EAD and AP approved and card ordered.

08/15/2016: EAD/AP Card mailed to me.

08/16/2016: Hard copy NOAs for EAD and AP received

08/17/2016: EAD/AP Card in hand. Received by USPS Priority Mail

11/01/2016: i-485 Status updated to: Interview is Scheduled

12/02/2016: Date of Interview. Tentative approval after interview.

12/05/2016: Case Approved showing on case status online and confirmed by text alert.

12/07/2016: Text to say case has been updated. Case status shows 'Card Mailed'.

12/09/2016: Green Card arrived in the mail.

11/21/2018: Mailed I-751 ROC Packet to Phoenix Lockbox (Divorce Waiver)

11/24/2018: Packet Received by USCIS

11/28/2018: Credit Card Charged by USCIS

02/05/2019: NOA - 18 Month Extension received

04/22/2019: Biometrics Appointment Letter received 

02/27/2020: Approved for 10 Year GC (no interview)

09/07/2021: N400 Online 5 year route

09/07/2021: NOA Actively reviewing case

09/07/2021: Biometrics Reuse notice received 

08/04/2022: Interview and Oath on Same day. 

Now US Citizen 

08/28/2023: I-130 for Ukrainian Spouse

08/31/2023: I-130 Approval Notice

• 3 weeks later...

Went to SSA today.

Asked for corrected SSN. Gave the completed SSN application. Showed certificate of naturalization and passport for proof of citizenship as well as a name change that occurred from marriage before I got the citizenship. The clerk said if my new name from marriage is reflected in the certificate then that's all she needed to see, and it helped that my new passport also had the new name.

In and out in 10 mn. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, nepttako said:

I logged in again today and found the 'non-citizen' part has disappeared. The page also shows retirement and benefit etc. I guess it has been updated to citizen account.

@nepttako
How do you check the "non-citizen" part in your online account? Do you click on the "Apply for a replacement social security card" and check if it blocks you or lets your proceed based on your citizenship?

Cos that's the only way the platform tells me that I am not a citizen. I don't see citizenship info in the home page when I log into myssa.gov.

Timeline
On 9/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, oakland71 said:

@nepttako
How do you check the "non-citizen" part in your online account? Do you click on the "Apply for a replacement social security card" and check if it blocks you or lets your proceed based on your citizenship?

Cos that's the only way the platform tells me that I am not a citizen. I don't see citizenship info in the home page when I log into myssa.gov.

Hello,

If I remember correctly, it wouldn't show the option of replacement card if non-citizen. Citizen account also has social security benefit section.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.