seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Waxing Moon said:

That's exactly the situation I'm in. I didn't update my Social Security status after getting my US citizenship in April of this year. 

I'm in the middle of getting a new job and will be filing out hiring paperwork (including I9) on Monday. I have a valid State ID + Unrestricted Social Security card. My new employer uses EVerify. Will I run into any problems?

No you won't.

Your SS is unrestricted because (I assume) you had the restriction removed shortly after you became a LPR.

Even if you haven't updated your citizenship with the SSA, it doesn't matter from an employment standpoint, because LPRs and citizens have absolute freedom to work for any employer and live anywhere they want.

As a precaution, bring with you either your U.S. passport (book or card) if you have them, or your Certificate of Naturalization otherwise if the E-Verify process runs into some issues.

1 hour ago, VinnyH said:

No you won't.

Your SS is unrestricted because (I assume) you had the restriction removed shortly after you became a LPR.

Even if you haven't updated your citizenship with the SSA, it doesn't matter from an employment standpoint, because LPRs and citizens have absolute freedom to work for any employer and live anywhere they want.

As a precaution, bring with you either your U.S. passport (book or card) if you have them, or your Certificate of Naturalization otherwise if the E-Verify process runs into some issues.

Thank you for your answer. Yes, that’s exactly what I did - I obtained my unrestricted Social Security Card right after I became a LPR. I don’t have an US Passport book or card yet, all I have if my Naturalization Certificate.

On 8/14/2021 at 1:45 PM, VinnyH said:

No you won't.

Not any employer. There’s a fraction of jobs that require US citizenship (if not require a person to renounce their non-US citizenship), but it has different considerations if the job entails certain levels of clearance. Granted that’s not most jobs, but I don’t know if not updating your status at the SSA would jeopardize those job prospects. 

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

@EternalForeigner

Good luck at your interview tomorrow 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

7 minutes ago, El Escocés said:

@EternalForeigner

Good luck at your interview tomorrow 

Thank you!

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I became a citizen about few months ago, and coming to update the SSN.

Questions

a) Do I get to keep the same number? (may be silly question and would think so, but being here for 10 years and suddenly changing the number seems like it'd be.. weird?)

b) Can I do this process in person? I do have a passport card, but I'd prefer if it I could do it in person instead of mailing everything

c) Is this the form I have to fill? https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Thank you!!

Now I think it depends on the SS office. I called the social security office and asked if I passport card is fine,

and the person said I can not. Either passport book or certificate of naturalization. 

Looks like I will wait for the SS office to open as this is not urgent

On 8/27/2021 at 10:51 AM, BBlueB said:

Now I think it depends on the SS office. I called the social security office and asked if I passport card is fine,

and the person said I can not. Either passport book or certificate of naturalization. 

If it was me, I'd send it anyway. Worst-case, all they will do is send it back.

Timeline
On 8/25/2021 at 10:19 PM, Britizilian said:

Hi Everyone,

I became a citizen about few months ago, and coming to update the SSN.

Questions

a) Do I get to keep the same number? (may be silly question and would think so, but being here for 10 years and suddenly changing the number seems like it'd be.. weird?)

b) Can I do this process in person? I do have a passport card, but I'd prefer if it I could do it in person instead of mailing everything

c) Is this the form I have to fill? https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

Thank you!!

A, Yes, that number is for LIFE!!

B, Call the office, SSA will let you make an appointment if you state you refuse to send sensitive documents in the mail

C, Correct, Make sure your name and SS# is correct, also City of birth is important, must be the same as originally stated.

I said Brussels, but my parents when they got my green card, stated Uccle, which is technically a suburb of Brussels.

Edited by NEW CITIZEN

The only instances I've anecdotally encountered where a SSN changes included a few people I knew who had one when they were on student visas, but when they applied for asylum and granted it, they were given completely new numbers. Otherwise if a SSN is issued unrestricted with a green card, that's the one you'll keep even when granted citizenship.

N-400 PROCESS:

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Timeline
On 8/27/2021 at 9:51 AM, BBlueB said:

I agree with you. I was intending to send my passport card but I think I’ll wait. I called my local office and after the forth try, someone picked up “no, just mail in your passport or naturalization certificate”. No thank you

Timeline

Okay, bit the bullet. I dropped off at my local SS office my application along with a letter, my passport card and a copy of my naturalization certificate. Let's see what happens..

Just to clarify guys, I have a question:

If I am not changing my name nor any other info, does that mean that I don't have to request anything to the SSA and just sit down and wait the 2 weeks for them to change my status to citizen, then send me a new SS card?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.