seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cabral01 said:

Just to clarify guys, I have a question:

If I am not changing my name nor any other info, does that mean that I don't have to request anything to the SSA and just sit down and wait the 2 weeks for them to change my status to citizen, then send me a new SS card?

Just send in your completed SS-5 form, letter of explanation plus your evidence (passport book, card or naturalization certificate) 

H1B: Feb 2001 (London)

L1A:  Jan 2014 (London)

AOS: May 24th 2016 - June 20th 2017

N400: March 23rd 2020 - June 29th 2021

Passport: July 1st 2021 - August 30th 2021

Social Security: July 1st 2021 - October 5th 2021

20 hours ago, El Escocés said:

Okay, bit the bullet. I dropped off at my local SS office my application along with a letter, my passport card and a copy of my naturalization certificate. Let's see what happens..

Good idea. I think I'll try this path. If they decline, I'll visit in person in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

I received my passport card back today but they kept the copy of my naturalization certificate. Not sure if they are actioning my case or not so will wait for a few days to see what comes in the mail before calling them. 

IMG_6061.jpg

Edited by El Escocés

28 minutes ago, El Escocés said:

I received my passport card back today but they kept the copy of my naturalization certificate. Not sure if they are actioning my case or not so will wait for a few days to see what comes in the mail before calling them. 

Out of interest, why did you send both the passport card and naturalization certificate?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, bing10 said:

Out of interest, why did you send both the passport card and naturalization certificate?

Only a copy..and just because I had one :) . No other reason.

2 minutes ago, El Escocés said:

Only a copy..and just because I had one :) . No other reason.

Ah okay, that makes sense then. In that case, they likely won't bother returning it. I thought you had sent them the original cert.

I expect you'll have a new SSN card coming in the the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

When I called the local social security office, they said "passport card is not acceptable. either passport book or naturalization certificate is acceptable".

However, I sent the mail anyway.

But in addition to the passport card, I included the copies of the passport book and naturalization certificate (along with the letter requesting the change of status if possible).

Then, I recently received the following letter. I think that it looks like it is processed successfully.

IMG-8414.thumb.JPG.302a7934606508d8965cd4b5ce46a648.JPG

On 9/19/2021 at 6:00 PM, BBlueB said:

When I called the local social security office, they said "passport card is not acceptable. either passport book or naturalization certificate is acceptable".

However, I sent the mail anyway.

But in addition to the passport card, I included the copies of the passport book and naturalization certificate (along with the letter requesting the change of status if possible).

Then, I recently received the following letter. I think that it looks like it is processed successfully.

IMG-8414.thumb.JPG.302a7934606508d8965cd4b5ce46a648.JPG

Update to this post:  today, I received the new SS card successfully. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 3/27/2021 at 9:00 PM, seetsuh said:

The whole process took a week, I first applied for my passport and passport card, I then filled out the SSN application and mailed it off with a letter stating that I am updating my citizenship status and included my passport card as evidence of citizenship. So if anyone is worried about SSA loosing their naturalization certificate, you don't have to mail that, just mail your passport card if you applied for one.

Omg . Thanksgiving you for sharing this 

Timeline
On 8/1/2021 at 7:58 PM, LaughingBuddha said:

Got my Certificate of Naturalization from UPS. No damage at all.

Received a new SSN card as well.

BTW, you can always find local SSA's number on google map... each SSA processes things slightly differently, for me I was told to just drop the docs by their office and I did, and it worked. Overall very smooth and clear procedure.

Did you get a receipt to prove you did drop off the documents?

Timeline

Finally.....wasn't as easy for me as the thread title suggests. My timeline is in my signature...

First attempt using letter, application and passport card dropped off at the local SSA. About a week or so later, my passport card was returned but no social security card letter.

Note: If you have a social security online account, there is a little trick to see if they have changed your status. At the top half of the screen, there is an option to get a replacement card and when you click on that, if you are NOT a citizen, you are unable to order a replacement card online. This is how I realized, that they had not taken action on my case.

So I call them and ask for an appointment. "Sure, if you are willing to wait at least 45 days for us to call you back with an appointment time or you can just send us an application"

I discuss my previous application and ask why nothing was done. "You can send in a new application with your passport book or your naturalization certificate"

Go drop off a new application, letter and passport book. About a week later, I get notification from my UPS account that the SSA is sending me a package (my passport). So I go online and try my "replacement card" trick. This time, the message states that I cannot do anything until after October 5th because their system is being updated. I decide to check my wife's SS account where it allows me to go through the entire step for replacing a "lost" SS card. 

Today, USPS informed delivery shows a delivery from the Social Security office with my new card.

Now, the journey is finally over.

Timeline

I have mail in my passport card with a copy of naturalization cert and copy of passport with my nys id and no reply yet from Brooklyn ssn office. Where did you apply?

I got it done today through my local office. I called them on Wed. Sep. 22 and they put me in line to be called for an appointment. They called me yesterday Mon. Oct. 5 and said I could come the next day (this morning). They said it'll take 2-4 weeks to get my new card.

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

Oct 4th*

N-400 PROCESS:

COLORADO|APPLYING AFTER FIVE YEARS|GC THROUGH "SPECIAL IMMIGRANT INTERNATIONAL BROADCASTER" STATUS

N-400 FILED ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

BIOMETRICS REUSE NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

RECEIPT NOTICE ONLINE: MARCH 18, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE ONLINE: JULY 13, 2021

INTERVIEW NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: JULY 19, 2021

INTERVIEW DATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

APPROVAL, OATH CEREMONY AND CERTIFICATE: AUGUST 17, 2021

PASSPORT PROCESS:

Aug. 17: Applied for US passport+book at metro Denver USPS, expedited processing, 1-2 express delivery, barcoded application from online wizard.
Aug. 20: Online status changed to “In Process” with locator number 34 (Charleston, SC). 
Aug. 23: Check cashed. 

Sep. 21: Status changed to "Approved” then “Shipped” later in the day.

Sep. 23: Passport book delivered, next-gen passport regular book. Label on envelope says Charleston, SC.

Sep. 25: Passport card delivered. 
Oct. 4: Naturalization certificate delivered. 

Timeline
On 10/5/2021 at 9:48 AM, El Escocés said:

Finally.....wasn't as easy for me as the thread title suggests. My timeline is in my signature...

First attempt using letter, application and passport card dropped off at the local SSA. About a week or so later, my passport card was returned but no social security card letter.

Note: If you have a social security online account, there is a little trick to see if they have changed your status. At the top half of the screen, there is an option to get a replacement card and when you click on that, if you are NOT a citizen, you are unable to order a replacement card online. This is how I realized, that they had not taken action on my case.

So I call them and ask for an appointment. "Sure, if you are willing to wait at least 45 days for us to call you back with an appointment time or you can just send us an application"

I discuss my previous application and ask why nothing was done. "You can send in a new application with your passport book or your naturalization certificate"

Go drop off a new application, letter and passport book. About a week later, I get notification from my UPS account that the SSA is sending me a package (my passport). So I go online and try my "replacement card" trick. This time, the message states that I cannot do anything until after October 5th because their system is being updated. I decide to check my wife's SS account where it allows me to go through the entire step for replacing a "lost" SS card. 

Today, USPS informed delivery shows a delivery from the Social Security office with my new card.

Now, the journey is finally over.

So I had mail in my passport card to ssn to update my ssn and today they return my documents and a letter saying” they  received my application and it’s currently under review for processing “ what does that mean? Do you think at this point they can just tell me to send the passport book or naturalization certificate? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.