Plinko

What Visa is needed for short course?

19 posts in this topic

Hey y'all 🙋‍♀️, I want to attend a 1 week short course in the USA this summer.

The course is needed to help me,open my first business. It's 5 days of intensive hands on training/ lectures at a University. I'm not sure which Visa,I should select. 

What option should I select, on the visa application form, if I'm not married but in a relationship?

Should I let them know,that i have a family member (permanent citizenship ) the USA?

I've been denied a Visa before(2015). 

B1/B2 is your choice. An university letter can be helpful. You disclose everything when asked, don’t volunteer answer. Good luck.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Are you sure the course is happening?  Most education here in the US is still all online due to COVID.

Since the form asks if you have family members in the US, wouldn't it be lying to leave that out?   Never lie on a US visa application.

You can apply for a B-1 visa.  Your only hope for getting it is to have ample evidence of ties to your country, as the consulate officer is required to assume you're trying to immigrate.

Yes,the course will be in person. I've  heard that when you mention us family members, they automatically think you're going to stay. 

1 hour ago, NancyNguyen said:

B1/B2 is your choice. An university letter can be helpful. You disclose everything when asked, don’t volunteer answer. Good luck.

Thank you so much. Do you think the length of the course matters? I intend to be in the USA for 10 days. Five days for the course,and the remaining days; I'll but the equipments etc. & ship them to my home country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

It is not optional, never lie.

What will happen come the summer is anybody's guess, anyway B's are not being interview currently.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

For the visa interview the focus will be more on your reasons for returning home than your reasons for coming to the US.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

1 hour ago, Plinko said:

Yes,the course will be in person. I've  heard that when you mention us family members, they automatically think you're going to stay. 

Ah, the infamous “I heard”. I got b visas for 20 years with a parent in the US, including after he petitioned for me. It’s all about being able to prove your ties to home. Hopefully your situation in that regard has improved compared to 2015 (I assume that’s the reason for the previous denial?)

3 hours ago, Plinko said:

They're required by law to assume everyone is going to stay.  You're required by law to answer all questions on the application honestly, and one of them is about family members in the US.

Some universities are very irresponsible. They might be saying that a course will be in person, so people sign up, and then change it to online a month or two weeks before it starts. Because you already paid, you wouldn't be able to get a refund.

I work at a university and most of my friends work at universities. I can tell you they would not do a week long course in person. The only in person classes are those for students in their final year, classes that cannot be taught online... basically a small number of classes that make a lot of difference for students. Nobody is going to risk it with a week long class for people that aren't formally enrolled at the university.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
10 hours ago, Plinko said:

Should I let them know, that i have a family member (permanent citizenship ) the USA?

The question asks, do you have any immediate relatives (not including parents ) in the U.S.?

So,  you will only answer yes if your child (under 21), or spouse lives in the USA. 

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.