Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2021 at 7:15 PM, Sparkie said:

2) Our marriage certificate was lost during a move and we think movers may have tossed the stack. We've replaced all other papers but this one is bringing issues. We ordered a new one in the States to be shipped to a family member in Michigan to then remail to Windsor. After waiting over a month, the courthouse reached out and said it was bounced back because it's a government document and the person whose name it is under must be there to accept it. The problem with this is that the family members that would be accepting it all work during mail hours. And I was told I can't cross the border unless I'm actually going home (my car has Texas plates so it would be obvious if I said I was going home and then I'm hitting the system again the same day or the day after when we aren't supposed to be traveling as-is) so I can't just go pick it up myself.

Why can't you go pick it yourself? Are you not a Canadian citizen or PR? Even so, a spouse of Canadian citizen/PR is considered immediate family and CBSA will HAVE to let you in. All you'll need to do is the covid tests and quarantine.

5 minutes ago, darth vader said:

Why can't you go pick it yourself? Are you not a Canadian citizen or PR? Even so, a spouse of Canadian citizen/PR is considered immediate family and CBSA will HAVE to let you in. All you'll need to do is the covid tests and quarantine.

Or, even easier, have it mail to them directly, in Canada.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Or, even easier, have it mail to them directly, in Canada.  

They already said the document couldn't be sent to Canada because there is no way to verify identity.  It's a page or 2 back in the discussion.  

For the others asking about photos, yes, you actually CAN take your own photos as long as they meet the US passport photo requirements.  It's only Canada that has a ridiculous requirement.  You can even get an app for your phone that will do it.  It's called PassportPhoto.  You select the country, take the photo, print.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

1 minute ago, mam521 said:

They already said the document couldn't be sent to Canada because there is no way to verify identity.  It's a page or 2 back in the discussion.  

For the others asking about photos, yes, you actually CAN take your own photos as long as they meet the US passport photo requirements.  It's only Canada that has a ridiculous requirement.  You can even get an app for your phone that will do it.  It's called PassportPhoto.  You select the country, take the photo, print.  

Havind dealt with similar situations for most of my life (lived in different countries/had to order documents); there is usually alternate ways to order and confirm identities.  Request through an elected representative, a lawyer, with a guarantor confirming ID, or similar methods.  It is feasible, I can assure you. 

4 minutes ago, mam521 said:

For the others asking about photos, yes, you actually CAN take your own photos as long as they meet the US passport photo requirements.  It's only Canada [and many other countries]  that has a ridiculous requirement.  You can even get an app for your phone that will do it.  It's called PassportPhoto.  You select the country, take the photo, print.  

That is what we did.  You can also print multiple pictures to a page and save even more.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Lemonslice said:

Havind dealt with similar situations for most of my life (lived in different countries/had to order documents); there is usually alternate ways to order and confirm identities.  Request through an elected representative, a lawyer, with a guarantor confirming ID, or similar methods.  It is feasible, I can assure you. 

I believe it.  I've been doing the same for 7 years now.  There's usually a way.  I suspect its a USPS versus courier issue more than anything.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

1 minute ago, mam521 said:

I believe it.  I've been doing the same for 7 years now.  There's usually a way.  I suspect its a USPS versus courier issue more than anything.  

With the quarantine requirements now, it might be worth it for them to find how, instead of crossing the border... Vivement que la pandémie soit finie!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lemonslice said:

With the quarantine requirements now, it might be worth it for them to find how, instead of crossing the border... Vivement que la pandémie soit finie!

I cannot ❤️ that last statement near enough! 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Thanks for all the responses, guys! We were able to get someone else to accept the document and they are going to forward it to us in Canada next-day. As for why I didn't cross over, I was told that picking up documents is considered non-essential and I would have to actually go home (my car plates are from Texas since it's where I reside so it would be obvious if I crossed over and then tried to return after). As a result, I was advised not to take the risk, being that I need to take my wife to her appointment and everything. It looks like we're on the up and up there now though.

But did anyone listen to the new Ford talk? They are closing provincial travel aside from "essential" services. According to multiple sources, filing for immigration is not considered essential but we are wondering if the actual interview would be. There's no answer I could find regarding this and we aren't sure if we need to just head to Montreal now and spend the next couple weeks there at a hotel before the border closes or if we just go on as normal...

4 minutes ago, Sparkie said:

Thanks for all the responses, guys! We were able to get someone else to accept the document and they are going to forward it to us in Canada next-day. As for why I didn't cross over, I was told that picking up documents is considered non-essential and I would have to actually go home (my car plates are from Texas since it's where I reside so it would be obvious if I crossed over and then tried to return after). As a result, I was advised not to take the risk, being that I need to take my wife to her appointment and everything. It looks like we're on the up and up there now though.

But did anyone listen to the new Ford talk? They are closing provincial travel aside from "essential" services. According to multiple sources, filing for immigration is not considered essential but we are wondering if the actual interview would be. There's no answer I could find regarding this and we aren't sure if we need to just head to Montreal now and spend the next couple weeks there at a hotel before the border closes or if we just go on as normal...

Going for a government appointment that you didn't set yourself should be considered essential...you can always call and ask! My husband actually came a week early to Montreal just in case this happened because we heard a rumor that it might. Doesn't hurt to go early though if you're worried! 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm debating getting my interview transferred to the London Embassy in light of this and staying with my folks in the UK while I wait it out. As a British Citizen I think I'm allowed to have my interview in the UK, right?

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

25 minutes ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

Hey guys are we ok to travel for the interview after these new rules in Ontario? They will have police at the Quebec border.

Have been waiting on the phone for a while with CBP, trying to get the answer to the same thing. Will report back when we hear something.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.