AlohaHI

Did the Immigration Ban Get Extended by Trump?

206 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
48 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Read this article concerning outgoing Presidents and EO's 

It says this and explains how difficult it is to overturn an EO 

Historically, the transition period has been notable for the flurry of EOs issued by the outgoing president.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-executive-order-and-the-2020-20102/

It means spouses of LPR are still like sitting ducks on the wire to be shot even in 2021 "sheds tears"

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Islamabad, Pakistan

Marriage (if applicable): 2013-08-24

I-130 Sent : 2014-08-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2014-09-02

I-130 RFE : 2015-02-06

I-130 RFE Sent : 2015-02-20

I-130 Approved : 2015-03-03

NVC Received : 2015-03-28

Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Pay AOS Bill : 2015-06-01

Send AOS Package : 2015-06-04

Submit DS-261 : 2015-06-04

Receive IV Bill : 2015-07-01

Pay IV Bill : 2015-07-05

Send IV Package : 2015-07-24

Checklist : 2015-10-06

Case Completed : 2015-11-11

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa): 2016.01.21

53 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

Read this article concerning outgoing Presidents and EO's 

It says this and explains how difficult it is to overturn an EO

Revoking a previous president's EO with a new EO is actually straightforward per the article you shared: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-executive-order-and-the-2020-20102/

This leaves Biden with one tenable avenue to repeal the inevitable flurry of EOs President Trump will issue on his way out of the White House: issuing his own EOs. The power of the EO cuts both ways. Since EOs are issued unilaterally they can also be revoked unilaterally: a fact that incoming executives of the opposition have often availed themselves (see e.g., Exec. Order No. 13206, 66 Fed. Reg. 18397 (2001), signed by President Bush revoking an EO restricting export controls on certain U.S. goods, technology and technical documents signed by President Clinton) and Exec. Order No. 13505, 74 Fed. Reg. 10667 (2009), signed by President Obama revoking an EO banning stem cell research signed by President Bush). With Inauguration Day fast approaching, the outgoing president will, as is tradition, increase the quantity of EOs signed. And on Jan. 20, incoming President Joe Biden will likely seek to repeal many by issuing his own EOs.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
13 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Revoking a previous president's EO with a new EO is actually straightforward per the article you shared: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-executive-order-and-the-2020-20102/

This leaves Biden with one tenable avenue to repeal the inevitable flurry of EOs President Trump will issue on his way out of the White House: issuing his own EOs. The power of the EO cuts both ways. Since EOs are issued unilaterally they can also be revoked unilaterally: a fact that incoming executives of the opposition have often availed themselves (see e.g., Exec. Order No. 13206, 66 Fed. Reg. 18397 (2001), signed by President Bush revoking an EO restricting export controls on certain U.S. goods, technology and technical documents signed by President Clinton) and Exec. Order No. 13505, 74 Fed. Reg. 10667 (2009), signed by President Obama revoking an EO banning stem cell research signed by President Bush). With Inauguration Day fast approaching, the outgoing president will, as is tradition, increase the quantity of EOs signed. And on Jan. 20, incoming President Joe Biden will likely seek to repeal many by issuing his own EOs.

we can only hope so

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry for asking the same question but I have read through the post replies and I am confused as some say the proclamation is going to continue until the president terminates it and then others say it's not the same proclamation that we're referring to and that it has not been extended past Dec 31 2020 which is when he last extended it to. 

I just need to know if the proclamation that affects Family visas (and other visas) that was set to expire Dec 31 2020 has been extended at all. Or if that is lifted after tonight. 

We are an F3 visa and had our interview scheduled this past March and had our interview canceled 5 days before it cause of this. We are hoping it is lifted so we can have our interview rescheduled. 

Can anyone provide a clear answer on whether this has been extended past Dec 31 2020 yet or if it's going to lapse and be lifted?

Thank you! 

Timeline
16 hours ago, Capital Z said:

So it means the proclamation hasn't been extended for any Visa class actually I am more interested in knowing will this extension will effect f2a Visa category or not

Same as we are F3 and I want to know if we are free to have our interview rescheduled that was canceled in March 5 days before it cause of this. 

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Sorry for asking the same question but I have read through the post replies and I am confused as some say the proclamation is going to continue until the president terminates it and then others say it's not the same proclamation that we're referring to and that it has not been extended past Dec 31 2020 which is when he last extended it to. 

I just need to know if the proclamation that affects Family visas (and other visas) that was set to expire Dec 31 2020 has been extended at all. Or if that is lifted after tonight. 

We are an F3 visa and had our interview scheduled this past March and had our interview canceled 5 days before it cause of this. We are hoping it is lifted so we can have our interview rescheduled. 

Can anyone provide a clear answer on whether this has been extended past Dec 31 2020 yet or if it's going to lapse and be lifted?

Thank you! 

I’m in the same boat as you @movingtoflorida the only difference is I had my interview in October 2019 at the mtl consulate. Rn waiting in ap.

Edited by Ysl182

10 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Thank you! 

There are different proclamations. There has been no announcement yet that I’ve seen on the family visa one, but there is still a good part of the day to go before midnight Eastern time... 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Ysl182 said:

I’m in the same boat as you @movingtoflorida the only difference is I had my interview in October 2019 at the mtl consulate. Rn waiting in ap.

If you had your interview back in Oct 2019 what is it you are waiting for? Did you not get your visa? Our interview will be in Montreal consult too. 

I thought once you had your interview they either approved you or not at the interview and then mailed you your immigration package and visa. Shouldn't that have happened for you way before the pandemic shut everything down? 

2 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

There are different proclamations. There has been no announcement yet that I’ve seen on the family visa one, but there is still a good part of the day to go before midnight Eastern time... 

That's true. I am eastern time. Hopefully nothing happens before midnight. 😬

Timeline
3 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

If you had your interview back in Oct 2019 what is it you are waiting for? Did you not get your visa? Our interview will be in Montreal consult too. 

I thought once you had your interview they either approved you or not at the interview and then mailed you your immigration package and visa. Shouldn't that have happened for you way before the pandemic shut everything down? 

That's true. I am eastern time. Hopefully nothing happens before midnight. 😬

Yes but I was missing some documents and then my medical expired so they put me in ap, and then the pandemic.

Timeline
Just now, Ysl182 said:

Yes but I was missing some documents and then my medical expired so they put me in ap, and then the pandemic.

What is "ap"? I am not sure what to do as our medicals and criminal checks have now expired too because of all this. Will we have to get all that done again before our interview now? They haven't given us any instructions about all that yet. They must know that after almost a year those things will have expired and should tell us what to do so we're prepared. I am going to email them about it. 

Also can I ask what documents you were missing?

Timeline
1 minute ago, MovingToFlorida said:

What is "ap"? I am not sure what to do as our medicals and criminal checks have now expired too because of all this. Will we have to get all that done again before our interview now? They haven't given us any instructions about all that yet. They must know that after almost a year those things will have expired and should tell us what to do so we're prepared. I am going to email them about it. 

Also can I ask what documents you were missing?

Yes I’m assuming we’d have to get all that done again. And ap is short for administrative processing.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I really hope so that family Visa category or infact any other Visa category which supports legal immigration should not come under trump thumb for ban extension. 2020 was a hell of a year already and now it's about to end in few hour. Hoping that 2021 starts on a right foot so that we can see it as a light in the end of the tunnel

Edited by Capital Z

7 minutes ago, MovingToFlorida said:

Yes, you will have to redo them. They will inform you of what needs to be redone when they are ready to interview /issue. (Medicals have a shorter expiry than police checks.) No point telling you to do it now when they don’t know when they can interview you and new ones might just expire again. Your visa validity is based on your medical expiry so it also doesn’t make sense to do your medical too soon anyway.

I have just seen one public radio news report that the ban has been extended to 31 March. Haven’t picked up anything else 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
5 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

No good can be expected from this man ever. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.