AlohaHI

Did the Immigration Ban Get Extended by Trump?

206 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...
Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 2/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, SusieQQQ said:

You’ll probably need new police certificates and to redo the DS260, the embassy will let you know what they need when they are ready to proceed with the case. Assuming the AP has been resolved, it should just be a case of printing the visa - there may be a “queue” for this too but having interviewed that far back you are probably near the front of it.

Ow they are asking for new medical which is understood, also ds-260 police certificates but also new affidavit of support. But is affidavit of support is necessary as well?

Timeline

This is interesting as now if you own property or any other assets in the unites states they can be used for affidavit of support. Please comment if this statement is wrong.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/affidavit-of-support

1 hour ago, Ysl182 said:

This is interesting as now if you own property or any other assets in the unites states they can be used for affidavit of support.

That has always been the case. But note the amounts required are not the same as earned income amounts. It can either be 3 times the amount or 5 times the amount depending on certain circumstances:

If you cannot meet the minimum income requirements using your earned income, you have various options:

• You may add the cash value of your assets. This includes money in savings accounts, stocks, bonds, and property. To determine the amount of assets required to qualify, subtract your household income from the minimum income requirement (125% of the poverty level for your family size). You must prove the cash value of your assets is worth five times this difference (the amount left over).
    • Exceptions:
      • If the person being sponsored is a spouse, or son/daughter (who is 18 years or older) of a U.S. citizen: The minimum cash value of assets must be three times the difference between the sponsor’s household income and 125% of the federal poverty guide line for the household.
      • If the person being sponsored is an orphan coming to the United States for adoption: The adoptive parents’ assets need to equal or exceed the difference between the household income and 125% of the federal poverty line for the household size.
  • You may count the income and assets of members of your household who are related to you by birth, marriage, or adoption. To use their income you must have listed them as dependents on your most recent federal tax return or they must have lived with you for the last 6 months. They must also complete a Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member. If the relative you are sponsoring meets these criteria you may include the value of their income and assets, but the immigrant does not need to complete Form I-864A unless he or she has accompanying family members.
  • You may count the assets of the relatives you are sponsoring.

Also the assets must be eligible. I.e. can only include the assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner or his/her family members.

Edited by HRQX

Timeline
18 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That has always been the case. But note the amounts required are not the same as earned income amounts. It can either be 3 times the amount or 5 times the amount depending on certain circumstances:

Also the assets must be eligible. I.e. can only include the assets that can be converted into cash within one year and without considerable hardship or financial loss to the owner or his/her family members.

Well I didn’t k ow I had that option, how much would a property have to be worth in order to use it as affidavit of support?

• 3 weeks later...

Did some of you/your relatives got interviews at consular embassies? I emailed to the State Dep, and they’ve told me it is up to the Embassy to call for an interview. We’re waiting since Nov 2019 for the US Embassy in Bolivia to call for an interview.I’m done with waiting. I’m trying to figure it out alternatives. 

1 hour ago, kmas said:

Did some of you/your relatives got interviews at consular embassies? I emailed to the State Dep, and they’ve told me it is up to the Embassy to call for an interview. We’re waiting since Nov 2019 for the US Embassy in Bolivia to call for an interview.I’m done with waiting. I’m trying to figure it out alternatives. 

This is correct, various embassies are operating at various levels. Some are issuing all types of immigrant visas, some only some, some none at all other than emergency cases.  Bolivia unfortunately falls into the last category:

https://bo.usembassy.gov/visas/

Temporary Suspension of Visas:

1. Immigrant Visas
  2. Routine Nonimmigrant Visas 

Due to the current health risk posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the U.S. Embassy has suspended visa services until further notice. All routine nonimmigrant and immigrant visa services remain suspended. 

We will resume routine consular services as soon as possible, but we are unable to provide a specific date. 

If you have an emergency that requires immediate travel, please follow the guidance provided at https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-bo/niv or send an e-mail to ConsularLaPazNIV@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.

1 hour ago, kmas said:

Almost two years of waiting for an interview. 

Well, you can blame a year of that on the Trump ban, and a couple extra months on the pandemic. It’s hardly been a normal couple of years.

3 hours ago, Ysl182 said:

It’s in the i864 instructions. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-864instr.pdf
see part 7 on pages 9 and 10 for the detailed explanation, including which assets you can and can’t use and how the amount required differs depending on who you are sponsoring.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.