51 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Oh 

For immigration purposes this would not be considered a legal marriage.

Under Islamic law don’t you have to divorce her, she has to remarry, consummate the new marriage, then divorce him, before you and she can legally re-marry?  That’s a tough rule.  Maybe you can divorce and have a non-Islamic marriage in another country.

This is even stated in the DoS reciprocity page for Pakistan:

If a husband and wife divorce and subsequently wish to remarry each other, the wife must have married another person in the interim and that intervening marriage must be legally terminated by proper divorce proceedings or death.  The interim marriage must be consummated and represent a bona fide relationship, according to Section 7 of the MFLO.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

It does seem divorce and remarriage in a country that allows it civilly would be the best route. Not sure how practical this is. If she got a visitor visa to the US there’s Vegas, could do both in a day I think, but a visitor visa would be difficult to get I guess.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
32 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If a husband and wife divorce and subsequently wish to remarry each other, the wife must have married another person in the interim and that intervening marriage must be legally terminated by proper divorce proceedings or death.  The interim marriage must be consummated and represent a bona fide relationship, according to Section 7 of the MFLO.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

It does seem divorce and remarriage in a country that allows it civilly would be the best route. Not sure how practical this is. If she got a visitor visa to the US there’s Vegas, could do both in a day I think, but a visitor visa would be difficult to get I guess.

Thanks for your help and sharing informative link.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
28 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Is a divorce necessary? Can't they just remarry? 

They need to divorce so they can marry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

1 hour ago, Orangesapples said:

They are already married under Pakistani law. So they can’t just marry again. The collision of customary /cultural/religious marriages, with marriages acceptable for US immigration purposes creates messy situations like this where two different things need to be satisfied at the same time. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
9 hours ago, Needhelp2020 said:

Thanks for your help and sharing informative link.

You know the rules in your home country.  This is a tough break.  Not the first time it’s come up here.

8 hours ago, Orangesapples said:

Not in Pakistan

I didnt really know how this works (marriage / divorce law in Islamic countries) until we lived in Saudi.  That’s a tough rule.

I only suspected it would be applied here, didnt know DOS specifically spells it out.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
10 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

You verified what I suspected.  Good link.

Based on that I’m not sure an immigration attorney would be of any help in this case. These two need to figure out what it will take to make their marriage legally valid.  Not something I’d want to face.  Wow

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

You know the rules in your home country.  This is a tough break.  Not the first time it’s come up here.

Not in Pakistan

I didnt really know how this works (marriage / divorce law in Islamic countries) until we lived in Saudi.  That’s a tough rule.

I only suspected it would be applied here, didnt know DOS specifically spells it out.

Couldn't they get married in a different country without getting divorced first? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Couldn't they get married in a different country without getting divorced first? 

That is a good question since the current "marriage" is invalid per US law.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Timeline
52 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

39 minutes ago, Lucky Cat said:

I dont think so. I remember looking into this topic in the past (theres probably some threads floating around they should search for and if possible reach out to the posters to see what was done to resolve it if any were from the same country) But I remember it being as SusieQQQ described- there are various requirements. One is showing all previous marriages have been terminated (divorce/annulment/death). Another requirement is showing your current marriage is valid. The two requirements can overlap in ways but they cant cancel each other out. Theres also a bit about polygamy in general. The wording about it can be confusing but it basically says if you are in an active polygamy situation its a no. If you have been in one in the past its OK as long as you establish you only have one marriage currently and do NOT intend on getting back into a polygamy situation in the future. To establish that seems to be nothing more then saying so and them believing you (no waiver or official documentation- just your sworn intentions that they believe). 

So as pointless as it seems to have to divorce wife 2 (who is the only wife right now) and then remarry wife 2 it has to be done. Wife 2 marriage is not valid for USCIS purposes. It doesnt become valid just because wife 1 passed away and wife 2 is the sole wife. 

1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

It’s still an existing legal marriage in Pakistan.

Plus the US already knows about the marriage, OP has correctly always been honest. They will need evidence it ended.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
47 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

I dont think so. I remember looking into this topic in the past (theres probably some threads floating around they should search for and if possible reach out to the posters to see what was done to resolve it if any were from the same country) But I remember it being as SusieQQQ described- there are various requirements. One is showing all previous marriages have been terminated (divorce/annulment/death). Another requirement is showing your current marriage is valid. The two requirements can overlap in ways but they cant cancel each other out. Theres also a bit about polygamy in general. The wording about it can be confusing but it basically says if you are in an active polygamy situation its a no. If you have been in one in the past its OK as long as you establish you only have one marriage currently and do NOT intend on getting back into a polygamy situation in the future. To establish that seems to be nothing more then saying so and them believing you (no waiver or official documentation- just your sworn intentions that they believe). 

So as pointless as it seems to have to divorce wife 2 (who is the only wife right now) and then remarry wife 2 it has to be done. Wife 2 marriage is not valid for USCIS purposes. It doesnt become valid just because wife 1 passed away and wife 2 is the sole wife. 

Thanks for your input.

But USCIS is unable to accept that.I explained them that my first wife passed away in 2014 and I have only wife left is my second one.I have provided them all the documents including marriage certificates of my both weddings and death certificate of my first wife.

seems like I have to go through the proper requirements like remarry to my wife again through islamic law and that whole process is again at least 7 to 8 months before I file new I-130.

any thoughts?

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Villanelle said:

Hi Villanelle, can you please share that link if you still have?

thanks 

31 minutes ago, Needhelp2020 said:

Thanks for your input.

But USCIS is unable to accept that.I explained them that my first wife passed away in 2014 and I have only wife left is my second one.I have provided them all the documents including marriage certificates of my both weddings and death certificate of my first wife.

seems like I have to go through the proper requirements like remarry to my wife again through islamic law and that whole process is again at least 7 to 8 months before I file new I-130.

any thoughts?

Yes. That is the case. Again, this has been explained to you a number of times now but maybe if I phrase it a bit differently it will help: uscis does not accept the marriage to the second wife as legitimate for immigration purposes because it was entered into when your first wife was alive, therefore is polygamous and is contrary to US public policy, however, the marriage is a valid marriage in your home country so it needs to be terminated, and then with both of you free to marry in the eyes of both the US and Pakistan, then you can enter into a second marriage valid for everyone concerned.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes. That is the case. Again, this has been explained to you a number of times now but maybe if I phrase it a bit differently it will help: uscis does not accept the marriage to the second wife as legitimate for immigration purposes because it was entered into when your first wife was alive, therefore is polygamous and is contrary to US public policy, however, the marriage is a valid marriage in your home country so it needs to be terminated, and then with both of you free to marry in the eyes of both the US and Pakistan, then you can enter into a second marriage valid for everyone concerned.

10 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

SusieQQQ

thanks for your explanation and quick response.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.