R1CH1991

London CR1 / IR1 Appointment Updates

2,685 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Crazy Cat said:

Not a good idea.  Travel plans should not be made until visa is in hand and has been checked for errors.  Good luck. 

I want to avoid paying for a last minute flight - they're pretty extortionate. I intend to book a flexible flight so I can change it if needs be. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Micam said:

I want to avoid paying for a last minute flight - they're pretty extortionate. I intend to book a flexible flight so I can change it if needs be. Thanks!

That's exactly what we've done. Our interview is tomorrow and flight is booked for the 29th which should be fine, but we've booked a fully flexible flight just in case. Will let you know when our passports are back, going on recent timescales I'm hoping we'll have them in hand by next weekend. 🤞 

1 minute ago, appleblossom said:

That's exactly what we've done. Our interview is tomorrow and flight is booked for the 29th which should be fine, but we've booked a fully flexible flight just in case. Will let you know when our passports are back, going on recent timescales I'm hoping we'll have them in hand by next weekend. 🤞 

We did the same thing but thankfully everything came in on time before our flight on Tuesday 

On 7/14/2023 at 3:26 PM, BLC said:

Oh wow that’s actually correct!? When I looked at that I didn’t believe it could be that quick!

Yes just want to confirm this! We got a response in about two weeks. Now just waiting for the interview letter. So excited this process is almost over!

Edited by CourtneyGeary

1 hour ago, fepixola12345 said:

I got my documents approved from NVC, how long does it take for an interview to be scheduled?

From London? Not long at all, it’s one of the quickest consulates. If you scroll through the thread you’ll find loads of timelines. 

Good luck. 

Another question, after I get the visa, can I start working immediately in the US? 

I currently work in London and want to do an internal transfer immediately after the visa, do I need to wait for a couple of months in the US to get the physical green card before starting working? Or I would get the social security number as soon as I enter the US?

3 minutes ago, fepixola12345 said:

Another question, after I get the visa, can I start working immediately in the US? 

I currently work in London and want to do an internal transfer immediately after the visa, do I need to wait for a couple of months in the US to get the physical green card before starting working? Or I would get the social security number as soon as I enter the US?

With the CR1/IR1 visa, you are entitled to start working as soon as you enter the US. You don't need to wait until you get your green card (mine arrived 7 weeks after entry and I began employment after 3)

As for the SSN, mine arrived 2 weeks after entry - I had ticked the box on the form for it to automatically generate one for me. If you didn't, you'll have to go to your local office to get one sorted. I'm not sure about working whilst waiting for one though

7 hours ago, fepixola12345 said:

Thanks!

What about the medical test, should I do it now or wait for the interview letter? 

Up to you. I booked ours before getting the IL but that was because I only had one possible week that we could do it in due to my kids sitting A Levels & GCSE’s. There’s no need to book it early though, you’ll have plenty of notice of the interview date to get it done before then. 

And of course it will depend on how quickly you want to move as you only have 6 months from the medical, so might not want to have it done early if you have things you need to wrap up before moving. 

On 7/18/2023 at 8:31 AM, appleblossom said:

Up to you. I booked ours before getting the IL but that was because I only had one possible week that we could do it in due to my kids sitting A Levels & GCSE’s. There’s no need to book it early though, you’ll have plenty of notice of the interview date to get it done before then. 

And of course it will depend on how quickly you want to move as you only have 6 months from the medical, so might not want to have it done early if you have things you need to wrap up before moving. 

Oh, the note about the 6 months is informative, thanks!

I thought the 6 months start ticking after I get my visa stamp. 

So basically after I get my medical I need to go to the US within 6 months?

On 7/14/2023 at 3:16 PM, appleblossom said:

That's really odd, we didn't even get asked about it at our medical, just ticked the box to say we'd had it as children and that was it. Did you have a blood test then?

I'd give Visa Medicals a call and see what they say. 

It seems I did have a blood test done and was immune luckily 🙂

How did your interview go?

51 minutes ago, MarmiteC said:

It seems I did have a blood test done and was immune luckily 🙂

How did your interview go?

All good. Lots of waiting around but the actual interview was only 2 questions! Had the interview last Monday and passport delivered back on Thursday so super quick. We leave on Saturday. 😁

8 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

All good. Lots of waiting around but the actual interview was only 2 questions! Had the interview last Monday and passport delivered back on Thursday so super quick. We leave on Saturday. 😁

Excellent!!  Congratulations!  Hope everything goes well for you in the move.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.