remotercharm

Marriage and AOS while on a tourist visa

69 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
11 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

Although referred to by DOS as a “rule” in its Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), the 90-day rule is not a regulation. It is DOS guidance to its officers, and as such, the 90-day rule is not binding on USCIS officers. However, USCIS officers must examine all of the factors in an applicant’s case. After such review, USCIS officers may find that an applicant made a willful misrepresentation, especially if the violation or inconsistent conduct occurred shortly after the consular interview or admission to the United States. 

If you have something to hide then your fiance should go back and wait his turn for his visa. If you don't, then apply to adjust status. I'm not going to argue anymore lol

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Although referred to by DOS as a “rule” in its Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM), the 90-day rule is not a regulation. It is DOS guidance to its officers, and as such, the 90-day rule is not binding on USCIS officers. However, USCIS officers must examine all of the factors in an applicant’s case. After such review, USCIS officers may find that an applicant made a willful misrepresentation, especially if the violation or inconsistent conduct occurred shortly after the consular interview or admission to the United States. 

If you have something to hide then your fiance should go back and wait his turn for his visa. If you don't, then apply to adjust status. I'm not going to argue anymore lol

yes, i can read.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
11 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

yes, i can read.

Can you?

"After such review, USCIS officers may find that an applicant made a willful misrepresentation, especially if the violation or inconsistent conduct occurred shortly after the consular interview or admission to the United States"

Did your fiance make a "willful misrepresentation"? No? then you're good.

If you want to keep arguing that it's a rule, by all means wait 90+ days.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

Can you?

"After such review, USCIS officers may find that an applicant made a willful misrepresentation, especially if the violation or inconsistent conduct occurred shortly after the consular interview or admission to the United States"

Did your fiance make a "willful misrepresentation"? No? then you're good.

If you want to keep arguing that it's a rule, by all means wait 90+ days.

read the whole page...  you have to have evidence.

Edited by remotercharm

11 hours ago, remotercharm said:

Our k1 interview was cancelled in London in March with no idea when it will resume.  My fiance has been in the US visiting me and will have to leave in about 6 weeks.  I know its risky but suddenly thought today maybe we should just get married and try to apply for AOS. My friend did it years ago (i know rules have changed since).  To make it clear there was zero intention of this on his visit.  And given the fact they won't or can't resume processing visas in the near future it seems like an obvious thing to do now he's here.  I know there is the 30/60 day rule, so could do it after the 60 day mark.  I guess the worry is whether they could process it in time.  If he gets banned forever because they think its a fraud or whatever, I wouldn't be hugely disappointed, and just go to the UK instead.  I'm not exactly sure how bad a denial would be on his chances of still getting the k1 interview.

*Not sure this is the best forum to post this question is but couldnt think of a better one.

There is no '90 day rule.'  However, many people cannot just suddenly decide to stay for 8-9 months (until AP document is granted) whilst on vacation.  Most adults would have responsibilities and a life back home to sort out.....

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jorgedig said:

There is no '90 day rule.'  However, many people cannot just suddenly decide to stay for 8-9 months (until AP document is granted) whilst on vacation.  Most adults would have responsibilities and a life back home to sort out.....

He had already gotten moved out of his flat and gotten rid of everything in preparation to come here so nothing to sort out really.  Thankfully money is not a concern.

Just now, remotercharm said:

He had already gotten moved out of his flat and gotten rid of everything in preparation to come here so nothing to sort out really.  Thankfully money is not a concern.

Seems a bit odd to have already done that if the March interview was cancelled, and this trip's 'intent' was only a visit.....

Good that money isn't a concern, but keep in mind that he is not authorized to work, even remotely, in the US without an EAD.   Even if the money goes into a foreign account, yada yada.  

Timeline
12 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Seems a bit odd to have already done that if the March interview was cancelled, and this trip's 'intent' was only a visit.....

Good that money isn't a concern, but keep in mind that he is not authorized to work, even remotely, in the US without an EAD.   Even if the money goes into a foreign account, yada yada.  

He did it all (quit job, moved out of flat) before the march interview and moved into his parent's house to spend the last month with them.   Then cancellation and pandemic.  He did some temp remote work for a while whilst staying in his parents house.  Then after 4 months we met in mexico and then came to the US.  Figured it would definitely be sorted out now but it's not.  And I no longer have faith it will be anytime soon. Can assure you there was no intent.  The fancy expensive kilt wedding outfit is still in Scotland 😂.   I didn't even think of it as an option til today! I remember my friend did it years ago with her Argentine boyfriend.

Yes I realize he cannot work and has not since we've been here.  Thankfully I can support us both. 

3 minutes ago, Orangesapples said:

Don't listen to all the people saying you'll have a problem. You will not, many others have done it. Just marry and adjust. See all the others on here doing the same thing. 

where are people doing this?  is it a particular forum?  thanks.

Edited by remotercharm

1 minute ago, remotercharm said:

He did it all (quit job, moved out of flat) before the march interview and moved into his parent's house to spend the last month with them.   Then cancellation and pandemic.  He did some temp remote work for a while whilst staying in his parents house.  Then after 4 months we met in mexico and then came to the US.  Figured it would definitely be sorted out now but it's not.  Can assure you there was no intent.  The fancy expensive kilt wedding outfit is still in Scotland 😂.  

Yes I realize he cannot work and has not since we've been here.  Thankfully I can support us both. 

Don't worry, you can see all the people that have posted on here that adjusted the same way you did and they were never asked about intent. I have no idea what the fear mongering above is all about. 

3 minutes ago, remotercharm said:

He did it all (quit job, moved out of flat) before the march interview and moved into his parent's house to spend the last month with them.   Then cancellation and pandemic.  He did some temp remote work for a while whilst staying in his parents house.  Then after 4 months we met in mexico and then came to the US.  Figured it would definitely be sorted out now but it's not.  And I no longer have faith it will be anytime soon. Can assure you there was no intent.  The fancy expensive kilt wedding outfit is still in Scotland 😂.   I didn't even think of it as an option til today! I remember my friend did it years ago with her Argentine boyfriend.

where are people doing this?  is it a particular forum?  thanks.

See here:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/130-adjustment-of-status-from-work-student-amp-tourist-visas/

And here :

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/131-adjustment-of-status-case-filing-and-progress-reports/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to AOS from Work, Student and Tourist Visas, from US Citizenship General Discussion- the OP is asking about AOS.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

By the way, dont people have to do this anyway with a k1 once they enter and apply for AOS and AP and work permit, etc.?

1 minute ago, remotercharm said:

By the way, dont people have to do this anyway with a k1 once they enter and apply for AOS and AP and work permit, etc.?

Yes.  But then it is planned for, so ties back home have been taken care of.  At least, that was how we did ours.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Yes.  But then it is planned for, so ties back home have been taken care of.  At least, that was how we did ours.

Indeed, the only reason his is "tied up" is becuase he'd already done it thinking he was going to move here.  Once the pandemic hit he just stayed put at his parents and we thought we'd get a new interview soon as they kept letting us schedule a new one and canceling each month for a couple more months.

Edited by remotercharm

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.