Crtcl Rice Theory

Six key findings from the New York Times’ Trump taxes bombshell

49 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, CanAm1980 said:

Well, let's take this tact. Every president (and I believe major party candidate) since Eisenhower has released their tax returns, except for Nixon and we know how that turned out. You would have to say, outside of the required FEC disclosures, they are a defacto standard of financial transparency. ( I would like to independently audited  financial statements, but that is not current law)

If the transcripts are being bonafide, then we can have two debates: how did the transcripts become legal ?(90% chance it was a leak from Vance's office) and what do the numbers show us?

If the transcripts are not legit, it will be easy for Trump to discredit:release his 2016 and 2017 1040 pages (not even the entire return)

This pattern you described really isn't much of a pattern given how little many of their brief returns showed. Some also only released a year or two, others several, 10, 30, etc. Given the overwhelming majority of the populace's inability to materially decipher the statements, naturally, they've only been used as a weapon, for defamation, case in point against Romney and now Trump. Since there's no justifiable constitutional reason to release them, and given the waste, how virtually no one reads them, and those who do can't decipher them (including who say they read them but then just repeat media talking points), it will remain only a cult demand with no constitutional teeth.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

This pattern you described really isn't much of a pattern given how little many of their brief returns showed. Some also only released a year or two, others several, 10, 30, etc. Given the overwhelming majority of the populace's inability to materially decipher the statements, naturally, they've only been used as a weapon, for defamation, case in point against Romney and now Trump. Since there's no justifiable constitutional reason to release them, and given the waste, how virtually no one reads them, and those who do can't decipher them (including who say they read them but then just repeat media talking points), it will remain only a cult demand with no constitutional teeth.

No one reads them is a shopworn story.  Just telling folks that there is nothing to see here is not going to prevail.

A man who proclaims 3 billion in net worth five years ago should be worth 4.5 billion today.   If Trump had any kind of business man he should be able to show a 10%  return 450 million.

Assuming a long term capital gains tax of 15% that should be 60 million in taxes to the irs annually. Forget accelerated depreciation and tax credits, how does he pare his tax bill down to less than what a Wal-Mart greeter pays?

At the end if the day, working people are wondering "why am I busting it to pay more taxes than a billionaire?" That is going to stand out.

Edited by CanAm1980

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Are you honestly trying to second-guess how Donald Trump runs his business life, and second-guessing his CPAs' calculation of taxes on what must be an intricately complex business empire?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

1 hour ago, TBoneTX said:

Are you honestly trying to second-guess how Donald Trump runs his business life, and second-guessing his CPAs' calculation of taxes on what must be an intricately complex business empire?

I wouldn't be second guessing his CPAs after they supposedly found that 70-odd million dollar refund gem from one little clause in Obama's stimulus bill. I hope the Guardian thanked Obama for the gift in that article.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
7 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

Trump says that the NYT times story is fake news. He can easily discredit the story by releasing the 1040s for 2 years: 2016 and 2017. What is that 4/ 6 pages? 

If he did pay $750 in income taxes, working people are not going to care what a CPA says, what the tax laws are, it is going to feel like they are getting the shaft. What can you say to them to make it feel fair? 

30 minutes ago, CanAm1980 said:

Trump says that the NYT times story is fake news. He can easily discredit the story by releasing the 1040s for 2 years: 2016 and 2017. What is that 4/ 6 pages? 

If he did pay $750 in income taxes, working people are not going to care what a CPA says, what the tax laws are, it is going to feel like they are getting the shaft. What can you say to them to make it feel fair? 

"You can just dispel these rumors about you by giving all your private information (that we'd just use to further make endless defamatory claims anyways) to us!"

I guess you really do think people are that dumb.

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, CanAm1980 said:

I'd tell them they need to take on some MASSIVE risk in order to be able to accumulate that amount of depreciation and write-offs.

Any idea what the amount of depreciation is on just ONE of his Trump Towers?  I can't even begin to imagine, compared to my paltry houses that I can claim it on.

Like I have said all along... taxes are a private matter between the person (entity) and the IRS.  If the IRS cannot ensure that Trump is paying the correct amount, then how are you, or I, or 150 million democrats who hate him going to figure it out?  I have never cared to look at any politician's taxes in my lifetime. In fact, I have only looked at maybe 2-3 friend's returns when asked for help over the years.  

2 hours ago, CanAm1980 said:

The REAL question is... do you know why Trump only paid $750 in taxes?  Have you ever heard of pre-paying your tax bill?

https://hermancain.com/#######-morris-trump-not-avoid-taxes-prepaid/

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

The REAL question is... do you know why Trump only paid $750 in taxes?  Have you ever heard of pre-paying your tax bill?

Don't you know that is fake news....

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Awaiting Google audit of Trump.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/28/2020 at 10:00 PM, CanAm1980 said:

Well, let's take this tact. Every president (and I believe major party candidate) since Eisenhower has released their tax returns, except for Nixon and we know how that turned out. You would have to say, outside of the required FEC disclosures, they are a defacto standard of financial transparency. ( I would like to independently audited  financial statements, but that is not current law)

If the transcripts are being bonafide, then we can have two debates: how did the transcripts become legal ?(90% chance it was a leak from Vance's office) and what do the numbers show us?

If the transcripts are not legit, it will be easy for Trump to discredit:release his 2016 and 2017 1040 pages (not even the entire return)

Proof this started with Eisenhower?  According to Money it all started with Nixon which seems funny that candidates would follow a political gimmick started by a disgraced President.  Btw, Ford did not release his returns in 76, so the practice really did not become the norm until 1980.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/economy/donald-trump-tax-returns/index.html#:~:text=The custom of releasing tax returns began with,led to one of Nixon's most famous quotes.

Like I said earlier, I would rather see something of substance released by candidates such as potential SCOTUS or cabinet picks, you know, something that may actually show how a person would govern.  Now if Old Joe wants to release Hunter’s tax returns that may be helpful to show that Joe was actually complicit in the corruption of the last Administration.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/28/2020 at 11:18 PM, CanAm1980 said:

No one reads them is a shopworn story.  Just telling folks that there is nothing to see here is not going to prevail.

A man who proclaims 3 billion in net worth five years ago should be worth 4.5 billion today.   If Trump had any kind of business man he should be able to show a 10%  return 450 million.

Assuming a long term capital gains tax of 15% that should be 60 million in taxes to the irs annually. Forget accelerated depreciation and tax credits, how does he pare his tax bill down to less than what a Wal-Mart greeter pays?

At the end if the day, working people are wondering "why am I busting it to pay more taxes than a billionaire?" That is going to stand out.

You do understand the differences between personal taxes and corporate taxes right? 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

On 9/29/2020 at 1:18 AM, CanAm1980 said:

So a few days have gone by, and this supposed "bombshell" seems to have fizzled like a sparkler in a water fountain.  Why?

Yanno, Trump probably pays more in CPA fees annually than you and I combined pay in taxes.  Why do you think they would cheat on his taxes for him?  Have you given up on this vein for something else?