TinNhi

Family Tree for K1 interview in Vietnam?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi all,

We understand that a family tree (both sides) is almost certainly required nowadays for the K1 interview. (Ho Chi Minh City)

Can someone point us in the right direction on what exactly to include?  Is there a popular format or template to follow?

Thanks!

Tin - Natural-born U.S. Citizen, Male, Vietnamese descent

Nhi - Vietnamese Citizen, Female

Met in 2018 while Tin was on a 3 month family vacation in Vietnam.  Tin took another 3 month vacation to be with Nhi in 2019.

I-129F (K1) mailed in December 2019

NOA1 in January 2020

NOA2 in June 2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Never heard of such thing and honestly sounds ridiculous unless you were related and needed to show you weren’t too close of cousins... but then again I’m not familiar w Vietnam. Have you checked the portal ? https://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Vietnam&cty=HochiminhCity

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

26 minutes ago, TinNhi said:

Hi all,

We understand that a family tree (both sides) is almost certainly required nowadays for the K1 interview. (Ho Chi Minh City)

Can someone point us in the right direction on what exactly to include?  Is there a popular format or template to follow?

Thanks!

Not needed unless members of your families have been marrying / petitioning each other.

They may ask for the family registration books if you are both Vietnamese. 

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Like other countries, there are some Vietnam-specific items you'll want to bring with you to the interview - like the family tree - that do sound ridiculous to people going through other consulates.  There are requirements in other countries that I think sound ridiculous, too.  However, you'll occasionally hear from someone in this forum who got a blue slip for not having a family tree at the interview or included in the original filing.  My wife and I are obviously not related (profile pic), but the Vietnamese clerk at the consulate asked about ours during the pre-interview stage when she was verifying that all our papers were available and in the order they wanted.  I don't know if my fiance would have gotten a blue slip for not having it, but I certainly didn't want her to get a blue slip for a silly reason like not having these suggested documents.

Ours took all of 10 minutes to create, so it was worth the effort to avoid the worry.  We included grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, and siblings on a spreadsheet with their name, birth and death dates, addresses, and phone number for parents and siblings.  If the information was unknown, we simply wrote "unknown" for that column.  For several Vietnamese birthdays, we just put the date of Tet in the year they were born.

Best of luck - Jason

Timeline

Here are a couple family tree-related posts, including one I started in 2017 when preparing our K1 application.  The second post is from 2020 and includes @p.dang's experience receiving a 221G for not including the family trees along with other documents.  Both posts give more details on some of the Vietnam-specific documents you might want to consider preparing.  Also, search this Vietnam forum and the Vietnam consulate reviews for more information on what you should bring -

https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Vietnam&page=1&dfilter=5&topic=

Jason

Edited by JasonGG

Always go by the official documentation they give you for what to provide. That said, I have heard of this being asked for from applicants in Vietnam.

8 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

Never heard of such thing and honestly sounds ridiculous unless you were related and needed to show you weren’t too close of cousins... but then again I’m not familiar w Vietnam.

It's legit, and very Vietnam-specific. 🤷‍♂️

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

13 hours ago, TinNhi said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

They randomly requested it and we are preparing it anyway. Here is official format from US Embassy in Vietnam.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/FAMILY-TREE.pdf?_ga=2.156587387.1516592181.1599941654-1953110832.1599941654

Timeline
36 minutes ago, trucphong said:

They randomly requested it and we are preparing it anyway. Here is official format from US Embassy in Vietnam.

https://vn.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/40/FAMILY-TREE.pdf?_ga=2.156587387.1516592181.1599941654-1953110832.1599941654

I saw on your timeline that your interview is tomorrow!  Good luck.  I hope everything goesoes smoothly.

12 minutes ago, JasonGG said:

I saw on your timeline that your interview is tomorrow!  Good luck.  I hope everything goesoes smoothly.

Thanks, Jason. She is on her way to Embassy now for interview. Unfortunately, I could not go with her due to Covid-19. This interview will be tough for us as I had petitioned my ex-wife previously.

Just wanted to give an update on my wife’s interview. It went smoother than what I predicted. She saw pink sheet with her name on it before interview but officer asked us to upload I-864, 2019 tax, and W-2. They dont accept I-864EZ but NVC wasnt concerned at the time. Anyway we did what officer asked and got appoved.

Good Luck everyone.

Timeline
1 minute ago, trucphong said:

Just wanted to give an update on my wife’s interview. It went smoother than what I predicted. She saw pink sheet with her name on it before interview but officer asked us to upload I-864, 2019 tax, and W-2. They dont accept I-864EZ but NVC wasnt concerned at the time. Anyway we did what officer asked and got appoved.

Good Luck everyone.

Congratulations!

• 5 months later...
Timeline

I am currently filling out this document. I am looking for some opinions in how I adress an issue I have. There a quite a few family members on my mothers side that we are estranged from. Long story short, abuse and criminal activity has caused myself and my immediate family to distance ourselves from them. Getting some info on them will be impossible, nor do we want any way of them contacting us. What should I fill in for info we cant get?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.