kev and julia

What Else Can We do while waiting?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi members,

While waiting for our K1 NOA2, is there anything else we can be doing to prepare the next phase of the K1 process like preparing for her interview with the embassy and start collecting documents and evidence for her interview?  I know it is still months away but we just want to get ready ahead of time.

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Honestly, not really. And since it is so up in the air when K1s will actually start being scheduled for interviews at many embassies/consulates even some that have received NOA2 already are not really in a hurry to prepare anything. 

Mostly all you have to do is time sensitive so right now all we do is wait. When the embassy sends you something finally that says they've received your petition and they tell you what to do next, that's when you can start gathering documents. 

By the way welcome to the website 😊 and the waiting for NOA2! My NOA1 was in mid July

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

Honestly, not really. And since it is so up in the air when K1s will actually start being scheduled for interviews at many embassies/consulates even some that have received NOA2 already are not really in a hurry to prepare anything. 

Mostly all you have to do is time sensitive so right now all we do is wait. When the embassy sends you something finally that says they've received your petition and they tell you what to do next, that's when you can start gathering documents. 

By the way welcome to the website 😊 and the waiting for NOA2! My NOA1 was in mid July

Thank you for your feedback.  I am going to visit my fiancee home country soon so we can be together and take some pictures for her interview.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, kev and julia said:

Thank you for your feedback.  I am going to visit my fiancee home country soon so we can be together and take some pictures for her interview.

Awesome 😁 you are lucky!! I haven't seen my fiance since March and his country isn't open until further notice

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

So even after we've recieved our NOA2 and it's arrived at the NVC, we should not request the letter from our employer or bank?

Timeline
46 minutes ago, DanNJ02 said:

So even after we've recieved our NOA2 and it's arrived at the NVC, we should not request the letter from our employer or bank?

From what I've seen on this site is that it's best to do everything closer to the date of your interview, so you could, since it might take a couple of months to get the employer letter, but it's hard to say

I know one of the senior members on here can better answer this

Edited by Cheburashka34

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
On 9/9/2020 at 5:32 PM, kev and julia said:

Hi members,

While waiting for our K1 NOA2, is there anything else we can be doing to prepare the next phase of the K1 process like preparing for her interview with the embassy and start collecting documents and evidence for her interview?  I know it is still months away but we just want to get ready ahead of time.

Thanks.

You can find some more info at https://www.visajourney.com/k1-fiance-visa-overview/

I would advise to collect as much info for the future filings as you already can. 

Make a timeline for yourself, so that you don't forget to apply for things on time. Make to-do lists and checklists. 

Look up what the requirements are for getting married in the US state where you intend to get married once you'll have entered.

Look up the local DMV and their rules on issuing a driver's license.

Good luck!

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

I would advise you to gather all information as early as possible. Not just for the K-1 but also the AOS and the ROC and even the N400. I went through all guides and forums while I was stuck in the TX service center black hole of 2015/2016. That's how I found out it would be easier down the line if I got an English versions of my birth record instead of Dutch one (The Dutch do not have a birth certificate, only transcripts of records and those you can get in English or Dutch) among other things.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fr8dog said:

2 Dutch Virginians coming up with the same advise within minutes 😂

I must have learnt sth from you 😜

"Life is a journey." At this moment, it's taking me to the USA to the woman I love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The advice above is excellent.  I recommend becoming a student of the entire immigration process -- learn about all steps from visa interview to naturalization.  For one perspective, see here:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/410945-k-1-journey-completed/

In addition, prepare for a "running start" regarding life in the U.S. -- investigate social/educational/professional opportunities and their requirements NOW.  You don't want the beneficiary to sit around thumb-twiddling in boredom as the next steps in the immigration process meander along.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Hi members,

Thanks.

Things I did early on in the process

1) apply for any police certificates you need other than the one she's currently living in (if you get that too early it may time out by the time you get to interview - but if there are any other countries she previous lived in and needs them from, get them now, assuming she won't be going back to those countries).

2) make sure all the vaccinations that are required at the medical have been given. Some like MMR require multiple shots over a period of weeks, so good to get them done now. Collect documentation of any previous vaccinations that will be needed at the medical. I was able to get a full list of my entire vaccination history at my local NHS doctor in the UK, and get the additional shots that I needed (for example MMR vaccine wasn't around when I was a kid, they gave me a tetanus booster too).
3) Renewed my UK passport (didn't want it to run out and have to be renewed soon after I was in the USA) - if it has a few years left on it then you don't need to do this

4) Keep good records of all your applications, and file them so you can easily refer to them later if required.

Learn as much about the process as possible. Its good to know what steps you have to do in the future as you can prepare for those now. Reading this forum regularly is a great way to do that as you'll see the questions and problems others are having further down the process so you can learn from those.

--- k1 visa ---
Texas Service Center (Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here)
I-129F sent: 12 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA1: 15 Aug 2014
I-129F NOA2: 2 Mar 2015 (199 days from NOA1) **No RFEs!**
NVC Received: 19 Mar 2015
Case#, IIN, BIN assigned: 19 Mar 2015
NVC Left: 20 Mar 2015
Consultate Received: 23 Mar 2015
Package 3 Received: 26 Mar 2015
Medical: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 3 Sent: 10 Apr 2015
Packet 4 Received: 23 Apr 2015
Interview Date: 8 May 2015 (Approved!!!)
Visa Issued: 14 May 2015
Visa in Hand: 19 May 2015
Entry to USA: 5 Jun 2015
Married: 21 Jun 2015

---Adjustment of Status---
Sent I-485, I-131 and I-765: 7 Jul 2015
NOA1 for I-485, I-131 and I-765: 14 Jul 2015
Email notification that I-765 was approved: 12 Sep 2015
Email notification that I-131 was approved: 15 Sep 2015
Email notification that EAD/AP combo card was mailed: 15 Sep 2015
EAD and AP combo card received: 18 Sep 2015
Green Card Received: 3 Dec 2015 [ :)] Previous letter stated interview requirement was likely to be waived

---Removal of Conditions---
Sent I-751: 13 Oct 2017
NOA1 for I-751: 23 Oct 2017

Biometrics: 20 Nov 2017
Approved: 20 Dec 2018

Green Card Received: 2 Jan 2019

-- Citizenship --
Filed Online: 21 Feb 2020
NOA1 (Online): 22 Feb 2020
Biometrics: 10 Mar 2020

Interview: 29 Jul 2020 (Approved - Oath taken immediately due to covid19)

Hi members,

Thanks.

You have received some excellent advice as to your "next steps" in this process. I'll add a step that is closer to home in your timeline.  Join us in the AUGUST 2020 K-1 NOA2 to NVC to EMBASSY thread and download the PDF file on the first post of the first page for tips, tricks, and hacks to follow your case to the embassy. I'll post both links below:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/744595-august-2020-k-1-noa2-to-nvc-to-embassy/

PDF with tips, tricks, and hacks. BTW this PDF is updated from time to time so you might check back to ensure you have the latest information.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nfin98c33IEpB0T0FlURERriblYmlm5O/view?usp=sharing

There is a good flowchart with what happens next in the September group on the first post you may want to review. Good luck and stay engaged. 

Some have said it but I'd like to add the importance of the date sensitive items. Reserve those for closer to the interview so you are not having to go back and redo what you have done. Good luck and stay engaged. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline
On 9/11/2020 at 12:16 AM, Fr8dog said:

Not enough if you moved to Va 😇

NoVA tho, ppl say this is almost DC - or does that make it even worse? 😜

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.