kevinfalting

Obtaining Police Record

19 posts in this topic

I believe I read somewhere that my partner (UK) will need to get a police record, background check report, or something for the K1 visa from any country she's been in the last 6 years. The problem is that she was in South Korea for a few years and may not be able to get one now. Is this something that we absolutely need to get? Thank you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

You can follow this link and click under Police, Court, Prison Records to find country-specific ways of getting what she'll need: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/SouthKorea.html

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
8 minutes ago, kevinfalting said:

Thank you, I'll check that out. Just to be clear, she shouldn't have anything on her record, I'm trying to also figure out if it's even required.

She will need one from each country she lived in for more than 6 months.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
9 minutes ago, kevinfalting said:

Thank you, I'll check that out. Just to be clear, she shouldn't have anything on her record, I'm trying to also figure out if it's even required.

Its NOT an optional thing

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
1 hour ago, kevinfalting said:

I believe I read somewhere that my partner (UK) will need to get a police record, background check report, or something for the K1 visa from any country she's been in the last 6 years. The problem is that she was in South Korea for a few years and may not be able to get one now. Is this something that we absolutely need to get? Thank you.

First, it's not just the last 6 years.  Second, it's any country she lived in outside her home country, for more than 12 months, if she was 16 or older when in that country.

image.thumb.png.80c77429eb917af4fe3b4fe2161a9ed5.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I was in the same situation last month. I am an Indonesian who live in Japan. I was able to get the Japanese police certificate, but not with Indonesian one, even Indonesian embassy in Japan couldn't help me. In the end I have decided to email the US embassy and they replied I need to check this site https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html and follow what is written there. Fortunately, the site written that it is not available, so the US embassy told me it is not necessary to obtain the Indonesian police certificate. But for South Korea seems it is available, so I think you or your partner can try to email US embassy and also ask her to try to contact the South Korea embassy where she live.

For example if you need to obtain a Japanese police certificate but you are not in Japan anymore, the Japanese embassy where you live can help you obtain it and they will cooperate with the Japanese police in Japan, but because of that process, it takes about 2 months to finally you hear things from the Japanese embassy. (experiences that I heard from my friend).

Edited by S & C

2 hours ago, kevinfalting said:

I'm trying to also figure out if it's even required.

It absolutely is required.

8 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

First, it's not just the last 6 years.  Second, it's any country she lived in outside her home country, for more than 12 months, if she was 16 or older when in that country.

image.thumb.png.80c77429eb917af4fe3b4fe2161a9ed5.png

so, If I was lived in U.S before, I don't need to submit police record, right?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ai&a said:

Not for the USA 

YMMV

2 minutes ago, ai&a said:

From reading that image that was posted, it seems that only if you were a resident of the US when you lived there, you won't have to supply a police record. Otherwise, if you lived in the US without being a resident, then you'll need to get a police report.

In this case, I'd double check what qualifies as being a resident. Not sure if any long term visas qualify.

Timeline
Just now, kevinfalting said:

From reading that image that was posted, it seems that only if you were a resident of the US when you lived there, you won't have to supply a police record. Otherwise, if you lived in the US without being a resident, then you'll need to get a police report.

In this case, I'd double check what qualifies as being a resident. Not sure if any long term visas qualify.

Not required for the USA for any situation 

YMMV

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not required for the US . They perform background checks automatically on the petitioner and beneficiary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
10 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

First, it's not just the last 6 years.  Second, it's any country she lived in outside her home country, for more than 12 months

Sometimes even less than 12 months. I lived for 10 months in the Netherlands so I didn't bring that police certificate and they put my application on hold until I sent it to them as well.

K1

Spoiler

I-129F sent : 30 November 2015
I-129F NOA1 : 16 December 2015
I-129F NOA2 : 02 February 2016
Packet 3 received : 29 February 2016
Packet 3 sent : 28 April 2016
Interview date : 13 June 2016 (Result: Administrative Review, document needed)
Visa received : 11 July 2016

AOS

Spoiler

US entry : 09 September 2016
Marriage ceremony: 02 December 2016
AOS sent to Chicago lockbox: 16 January 2017
Case accepted confirmation by email/sms: 27 January 2017
NOA1 received: 03 February 2017
Biometrics appointment letter received: 06 February 2017

Biometrics passed: 08 February 2017 (walk-in)
EAD status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 01 May 2017
NOA for EAD and AP received: 04 May 2017

Combo Card in hand: 06 May 2017

I-485 status updated to "New Card Is Being Produced": 15 July 2017
NOA for Green Card received: 20 July 2017
Conditional Green Card in hand: 21 July 2017

Removing Conditions

Spoiler

Package sent: 20 June 2019
Package received: 25 June 2019
NOA1: 18-month extension: 28 June 2019

Biometrics passed: 02 August 2019
New Card Being Produced: 30 July 2020
10-year Green Card Mailed: 19 August 2020

Naturalization

Spoiler

N-400 sent : 01 October 2020 (online)
Interview: 26 October 2021
RFI sent to office: 14 December 2021
Oath Ceremony: 18 February 2022

Timeline
2 hours ago, Vengatore said:

Sometimes even less than 12 months. I lived for 10 months in the Netherlands so I didn't bring that police certificate and they put my application on hold until I sent it to them as well.

K1 is 6 mos.  Spousal is 12 mos.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.