kaitousai

What's going on with K-1?

47 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
13 hours ago, Jody and Misho said:

No, you misunderstood what I was saying.  Throughout government paperwork regarding immigration, K1s are classified as 'immediate family members'. Why not now?  Why are spouses 'mission critical' and K1s are not?  Explain, please...

Apologies.....I did read it wrong. 

But K1 visas do not hold the same caliber of a CR1. That is, in fact why, someone denied a k1 gets married and files for a CR. 

You have to keep in mind that "time as we know it" is different.....it is not what it was 6 months ago....

On 8/18/2020 at 11:57 AM, Kpiliouras said:

I completely agree and understand; we have a baby due end of October and that’s same level of importance with family ties as a married couple— if not more. If it weren’t for the pandemic things would not be so back logged and slow creating these scenarios. I believe you’d need to request an expedite to get it in front of them and consider the specifics case given the # of other cases there are. Good luck to you and me and anyone else in a similar situation. 

Sorry you're not more important just because you're pregnant. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Aruba
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NikLR said:

Sorry you're not more important just because you're pregnant. 

Not helpful / rude unnecessary commentary has been flagged 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kelly p 2020 said:

i will be the judge of that.  

said post is the blunt truth.  in the 14+ years i've been here there is always someone who thinks they should be expedited because they are pregnant.

said expedites are more rare than an honest politician.

charles

vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Kelly p 2020 said:

I agree with @NikLR why does expecting a baby make anything more urgent? 

comment has been flagged for what? Honesty?

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ban Hammer said:

i will be the judge of that.  

said post is the blunt truth.  in the 14+ years i've been here there is always someone who thinks they should be expedited because they are pregnant.

said expedites are more rare than an honest politician.

charles

vj moderation

My comment was suggesting a course of action to another user in a pregnancy scenario who was asking if those cases are given special attention to which I replied that the only possibility is likely to file an expedite request given her question. The blunt rude reply of insinuating I am not more important because I am pregnant is unnecessary and not helpful and that’s obvious here. The question was never posed if we are more important given pregnancy but simply suggested that an expedite would be the only possible course of action to request in line with the users original question. I did acknowledge within this topic (different comment to the same user) that my lawyer has advised that an expedite in this scenario is indeed unlikely and my commentary was that it doesn’t hurt to try. In terms of importance I commented that in relation to equating a spousal visa to a k-1 scenario with kids. Visa journey has been a helpful place so far but it’s not kept peaceful with unnecessary rude remarks as that one. We are all going through difficult times in a pandemic and being respectful to each persons individual case is what keeps this site running smoothly. 

Edited by Kelly p 2020

Timeline
8 minutes ago, janet3 said:

I agree with @NikLR why does expecting a baby make anything more urgent? 

comment has been flagged for what? Honesty?

See latest reply. It was a suggestion of a course of action to another user per her original question.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Pinned thread in this same forum:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

17 hours ago, Jody and Misho said:

No, you misunderstood what I was saying.  Throughout government paperwork regarding immigration, K1s are classified as 'immediate family members'. Why not now?  Why are spouses 'mission critical' and K1s are not?  Explain, please...

I can answer that. 

Because technically, a fiance does not have the same benefits as a spouse. And even though two people every intention to get married, until they have that paper... they are not legally married. For example, if (God forbids) a person dies, the government is not going to pay their fiance their social security or other benefits and legal possessions. Fiances have no formal legal standing in the eyes of the government. There is no tax status/credit for being engaged.

The truth is that many things can happen with a K1 applicant.

• The relationship could end (breakup)
  • The marriage may not take place for some reasons (cold feet, etc)
  • The couple decides not to live in the US
  • They do not have the resources to apply for Adjustment of Status
  • The adjustment of status is denied for some reason

As you can see, any of the above reason could lead to the beneficiary NOT becoming a permanent resident. Hence, it not being mission critical. Or at least, less critical than spousal visa.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, Kelly p 2020 said:

Very helpful and truthful, no special treatment for being pregnant

Timeline
1 minute ago, RUJEN said:

Very helpful and truthful, no special treatment for being pregnant

If you read the entire thread you will see this was already covered. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, RUJEN said:

I did read the entire thread

Then your comment is irrelevant/redundant as the question was never anyone saying they deserved special treatment due to pregnancy. A user asked if K-1's are given more consideration if there are kids/pregnancy involved. I answered that I was in a similar situation and no, but her only option would be to try for an expedite.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/18/2020 at 3:30 PM, Dmitry S said:

So, other visas including B1/B2 are being issued but K1 is not issued due to the travel ban? And at the same time Croatia is not banned by the US travel ban? How is it making sense to you?

My one cent on this. I wait till October 2 when they jack up all fees, i don't see any other reason. If not, and all will be closed, than this country is doomed probably (GDP subtracted more than 30% already) and i am highly likely out of here. They loosing trade war to China probably ( all Walmart's around US are more or less quarter  empty) or something is going on here, when was that in the world US closed all immigration into the country? Answer: during great depression. All about money and for money, this time there is some fancy virus story(40% of tested went through covid19 without any symptoms  and have antibodies), more than 80% or the rest 60% get back to normal, and because of tiny 3%with bad outcome they shut down the whole world like that? Something not right.

Edited by Babaloo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.