April Khin

how to ask USCIS to expedite I 131 advance parole

26 posts in this topic

Hello, 

submitted my advance parole application together with I-485 adjustment of status application in early April. NOA dated April 16 was received. Biometric appointment scheduled on August 10. I will have to make an international travel latest by 15 Sep for some work commitments. I am hoping that my I131 application is approved in time.

Does anyone have any luck getting advance parole approved in 4.5 months time?  My processing center is MSC-National Benefit Centre that has a reputation of taking a long processing time.

How can request USCIS to expedite my I-131 application? Or is it worth hiring an immigration attorney who can help me with this?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
17 minutes ago, April Khin said:

Hello, 

submitted my advance parole application together with I-485 adjustment of status application in early April. NOA dated April 16 was received. Biometric appointment scheduled on August 10. I will have to make an international travel latest by 15 Sep for some work commitments. I am hoping that my I131 application is approved in time.

Does anyone have any luck getting advance parole approved in 4.5 months time?  My processing center is MSC-National Benefit Centre that has a reputation of taking a long processing time.

How can request USCIS to expedite my I-131 application? Or is it worth hiring an immigration attorney who can help me with this?

Thanks!

Every EAD is processed at the NBC. It's not fair for them to have that reputation since every case is processed there and for that they're doing quite ok 😉

It's probably not going to happen that you have your card in hand by the date you want it too even with an expedite. An attorney can't do anything at this point. If one tells you different don't believe them.

You can simply call the helpline and ask for an expedite. If they find you have a good enough reason you'll get an email telling you to fax them evidence for your claim and they'll make a decision upon that. Even with an expedite they have 30 days to make a decision and after that the card needs to be produced and shipped to you ( this part is taking quite some time recently).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, April Khin said:

Hello, 

Thanks!

Hi, you can call them and request an expedite processing but they will most likely need your biometrics first. You can also contact your congressman for help. I see you are in Costa Mesa, CA like me and I worked with Harley Rouda’s office (there is even a federal agency help form on his website) and they helped me get it approved but still waiting on biometrics for the card to be produced. I hope this helps! 

https://rouda.house.gov/services/help-federal-agency

Edited by SJ2020

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, April Khin said:

Hello, 

Thanks!

Apply for Emergency AP at your local field office.

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Cornflake said:

Does work count as emergency? Just curious.

Don't know if work commitments are a good reason when you're not allowed to work but this might be the grey area of remote working in a foreign country. Anyways, it's free to try.

6 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Every EAD is processed at the NBC. It's not fair for them to have that reputation since every case is processed there and for that they're doing quite ok 😉

It's probably not going to happen that you have your card in hand by the date you want it too even with an expedite. An attorney can't do anything at this point. If one tells you different don't believe them.

You can simply call the helpline and ask for an expedite. If they find you have a good enough reason you'll get an email telling you to fax them evidence for your claim and they'll make a decision upon that. Even with an expedite they have 30 days to make a decision and after that the card needs to be produced and shipped to you ( this part is taking quite some time recently).

Thanks! Just to clarify, I do not work here in the US nor apply for EAD. I have a job overseas and I am currently on unpaid leave. The idea was to apply for the adjustment of status, get the AP and go back to my current job while waiting for the green card approval. I need to come back to US for the interview and other things as necessary. Once approved, I plan to live here permanently.

On expedite request, I tried to call USCIS customer service centre and never had a chance to talk to an officer. It's always the machine answering and they do not seem to have an option for expedite request. May be because I still haven't done the biometrics ?

5 hours ago, SJ2020 said:

Hi, you can call them and request an expedite processing but they will most likely need your biometrics first. You can also contact your congressman for help. I see you are in Costa Mesa, CA like me and I worked with Harley Rouda’s office (there is even a federal agency help form on his website) and they helped me get it approved but still waiting on biometrics for the card to be produced. I hope this helps! 

https://rouda.house.gov/services/help-federal-agency

Thanks. OI tried to call USCIS customer service centre and never had a chance to talk to an officer. It's always the machine answering and they do not seem to have an option for expedite request. May be because I still haven't done the biometrics ?

Could I ask how long did it take with expedited process?

Timeline
7 hours ago, April Khin said:

Thanks! Just to clarify, I do not work here in the US nor apply for EAD. I have a job overseas and I am currently on unpaid leave. The idea was to apply for the adjustment of status, get the AP and go back to my current job while waiting for the green card approval. I need to come back to US for the interview and other things as necessary. Once approved, I plan to live here permanently.

You might run into the problem of not getting approved because you and your spouse don't live together here in the US if you follow through with this plan. The beneficiary living and working in it's home country is not exactly what an IO wants to see when judging about if you and your USC spouse build a life here together.

Edited by Letspaintcookies

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

A different basis for an expedite, why not expedite EAD so you can work here?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

8 hours ago, April Khin said:

Thanks. Sounds great! I didn't know it was even possible. Was it because they reused your old biometrics data?  How did you manage to get it approved fairly quickly?

they are applying different rules to different categories. Iam EB based while i have seen the trend that FB based are not getting EAD without biometrics 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.