Voice of Reason

Missouri man who guarded home with rifle reveals that 'rumor is' he and wife will be 'indicted shortly'

130 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, laylalex said:

Do the McCloskeys have the right to threaten people with deadly force to leave private property which they do not own? I mean, they don't own the private street. Presumably the HOA does. I mean, even when these people wanted to enforce part of the HOA agreement in the past to exclude unmarried couples, they recognized it was the HOA who had to enforce the rules, not them. 

Indeed. It would seem this is what calling the authorities is for. Which they did seem to do anyway but not before they brandished weapons in an unsafe manner.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

23 minutes ago, Burnt Reynolds said:

"threaten people with deadly force to leave private property which they do not own"

Stopped right there, this incorrectly reframes the issue, they were not threatened with deadly force if they didn't leave Portland Place. They were warned they were trespassing and not to come onto the McCloskeys property, with guns pointed at them (at least, at one point the lady pointed the gun, but don't know why), and also told the second they entered to leave Portland Place, that it's private property and can't protest there. Easy stuff.

But they don't own Portland Place. The trespassers didn't come onto the McCloskeys' property. They can't enforce other people's/parties'/organizations' rights. 

My best friend lives in a mixed-use building not far from me. The residences are condos; there's a yoga studio and some restaurants and cafes on the ground floor. Let's say some people walk into the yoga studio after hours. Not a break in, just walk in. She can't go down to the yoga studio and tell people to get out of there, it's private property. She doesn't have the right to tell them to get lost and wave a gun around. The people who own the yoga studio do, and so does the HOA (which owns the yoga studio from what I know). 

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

But they don't own Portland Place. The trespassers didn't come onto the McCloskeys' property. They can't enforce other people's/parties'/organizations' rights. 

My best friend lives in a mixed-use building not far from me. The residences are condos; there's a yoga studio and some restaurants and cafes on the ground floor. Let's say some people walk into the yoga studio after hours. Not a break in, just walk in. She can't go down to the yoga studio and tell people to get out of there, it's private property. She doesn't have the right to tell them to get lost and wave a gun around. The people who own the yoga studio do, and so does the HOA (which owns the yoga studio from what I know). 

There's a substantial difference between your example and this one. For one, it sounds like this friend wasn't in her condo. So she'd be brandishing a weapon off her own property, and telling people this also off her own property. The McCloskeys were on their property, perfectly within their rights to be openly armed, perfectly within their rights to tell people who were clearly trespassing that they're trespassing and to leave. Telling people that isn't "enforcement" of anything.

Filed: Timeline
4 hours ago, laylalex said:

I don't really know that that picture is what it represents. First it's very small. Second, I do not know that those dots represent what they say they do. Third, I cannot see any property lines.

And I trust trustworthy sources, no matter what side of the spectrum. :) 

I think it's pretty clear when used in conjunction with the various pictures and videos online, if only one isn't trying to be obstinate.

Then again, some struggle with directions,  street signs, and knowing where places are in relation to their current position on earth.  Others are good with spatial association.  Everyone has strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by Voice of Reason

I'm not being obstinate in anything except that I don't like to come to conclusions before I know more facts. Blame my dad for that. We can both draw conclusions right now from what is out there are wildly opposite from each other, because we don't know enough. I like to know more before assuming anything.

There's also no need to be obliquely insulting. It's quite rude.

4 minutes ago, laylalex said:

I'm not being obstinate in anything except that I don't like to come to conclusions before I know more facts. Blame my dad for that. We can both draw conclusions right now from what is out there are wildly opposite from each other, because we don't know enough. I like to know more before assuming anything.

There's also no need to be obliquely insulting. It's quite rude.

You're trying to discredit a picture I shared (because you don't know where it is), thereby attempting to negate my input on the topic.  That was quite rude of you, sorry if I responded as you did.

See if this helps...

38.6470643, -90.2648551

Paste that into google maps, then switch to satellite view.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were one of those who struggle with spatial things...I was just pointing out that some are better with that than others.  I know people who can't find a place 5 blocks away without using a GPS. The struggle is real...

1 hour ago, yuna628 said:

Indeed. It would seem this is what calling the authorities is for. Which they did seem to do anyway but not before they brandished weapons in an unsafe manner.

There was nothing unsafe, unless one of the mob of  rioters had tried to assualt them.

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

There was nothing unsafe, unless one of the mob of  rioters had tried to assualt them.

Thank you.  Muzzle control was not at its finest level, but we don't know if the weapons were locked, let alone loaded.

Edited by Voice of Reason

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You're trying to discredit a picture I shared (because you don't know where it is), thereby attempting to negate my input on the topic.  That was quite rude of you, sorry if I responded as you did.

See if this helps...

38.6470643, -90.2648551

Paste that into google maps, then switch to satellite view.

Also, I wasn't suggesting that you were one of those who struggle with spatial things...I was just pointing out that some are better with that than others.  I know people who can't find a place 5 blocks away without using a GPS. The struggle is real...

I have become so dependent on GPS. sometimes I have to really think to go across town. GPS is so.much easier when driving than VOR

Just now, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I have become so dependent on GPS. sometimes I have to really think to go across town. GPS is so.much easier when driving than VOR

I wonder how many will get your humor?

I will admit that google mapsi s great if one is in a hurry, or in an unfamiliar area.  But once I get my bearings, I hardly ever use it for driving.  It rocks for hours of operation and phone calls though!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I know people who can't find a place 5 blocks away without using a GPS. The struggle is real...

and we're not even talking about a declination diagram yet......

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wonder how many will get your humor?

I will admit that google mapsi s great if one is in a hurry, or in an unfamiliar area.  But once I get my bearings, I hardly ever use it for driving.  It rocks for hours of operation and phone calls though!

At least one. Lol 2 probably 

I have android auto. I keep WAZE on my screen. Amazing app. Has warned me many times about objects in the road, potholes,  cops etc.

Pandora also

2 minutes ago, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

At least one. Lol 2 probably 

I have android auto. I keep WAZE on my screen. Amazing app. Has warned me many times about objects in the road, potholes,  cops etc.

Pandora also

I used Waze for about a year after it came out.  Not sure why, but I drifted away from it.  Not really sure why, exactly.  But now that google maps allows you to report stuff like gators and cops, plus all the business info... I guess I just prefer that.

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

I used Waze for about a year after it came out.  Not sure why, but I drifted away from it.  Not really sure why, exactly.  But now that google maps allows you to report stuff like gators and cops, plus all the business info... I guess I just prefer that.

I did not know Google maps did that. I will give it a try. Do you have android auto. Pretty cool. I know honda has had it a while. 

Just now, Nature Boy 2.0 said:

I did not know Google maps did that. I will give it a try. Do you have android auto. Pretty cool. I know honda has had it a while. 

Yeah, Honda has both AA and Apple CarPlay.  I used AA for a while, but again, kind of just got away from it, not sure why.  I liked the ability to use voice commands.  Maybe I should give it another try.  Thanks for bringing it up.