retro_jet

Using previous F1 visa that hasn't yet expired

65 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I went to the U.S. for master's in 2017, and I got a five-year, multiple entry F1 visa that is valid till June 2022. I returned to my home country after the master's in July 2019. I was wondering if I could still use the same F1 visa for my PhD for Fall 2020, after getting a new SEVIS number and I-20 and paying for the new SEVIS number, or whether I should apply for a new visa altogether.

I sent an email to both my previous university and my upcoming PhD university, and replies from both the sources were that I can use the same F1 visa, if it has not expired yet, given I pay for the new SEVIS ID fee.

However, to officially confirm one last time, I emailed the US Embassy in my home country. They asked for my passport and scanned copies of old and new I-20s, and responded, "As you have already completed the course and applying for another program, you should apply for new visa."

I again asked my previous and new university officials, and they again stood by their former response, and gave the number of the director, if there is any problem during immigration.

Do you think the person from the embassy has mistaken the situation a bit?

Since the embassy is closed (or at least not accepting visa appointments) right now, it would be an immense relief for me if I could use my previous F1 visa, so that I could just fly as soon as international flights resume.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks so much!

Edited by retro_jet

Thanks, milimelo. Any reason you'd say that?

Do you think the immigration officers at both the universities are missing something?

For now, those who said.....

....I don't need a new visa: My previous university international office official; my new university international office official

....I need a new visa: the US embassy, and you

I'm soooo confused 😕

Edited by retro_jet

You had a 5yrs visa but your status was "D/S = Duration of Stay" aka your master program. You finished it and left so you can't use that visa again for new program.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

44 minutes ago, retro_jet said:
Hello all,

I went to the U.S. for master's in 2017, and I got a five-year, multiple entry F1 visa that is valid till June 2022. I returned to my home country after the master's in July 2019. I was wondering if I could still use the same F1 visa for my PhD for Fall 2020, after getting a new SEVIS number and I-20 and paying for the new SEVIS number, or whether I should apply for a new visa altogether.

I sent an email to both my previous university and my upcoming PhD university, and replies from both the sources were that I can use the same F1 visa, if it has not expired yet, given I pay for the new SEVIS ID fee.

However, to officially confirm one last time, I emailed the US Embassy in my home country. They asked for my passport and scanned copies of old and new I-20s, and responded, "As you have already completed the course and applying for another program, you should apply for new visa."

I again asked my previous and new university officials, and they again stood by their former response, and gave the number of the director, if there is any problem during immigration.

Do you think the person from the embassy has mistaken the situation a bit?

Since the embassy is closed (or at least not accepting visa appointments) right now, it would be an immense relief for me if I could use my previous F1 visa, so that I could just fly as soon as international flights resume.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks so much!

you are not continuing education to use the same visa , you discontinued and now want to restart . Yeah you need a new visa 

duh

7 minutes ago, retro_jet said:

Thanks, Nancy. How do I find out if the visa was D/S? Or, is it the same for all F1 visas?

Check your passport you will see it. When you came first time, it was stamped D/S, you were authorized to stay during your master program.

N400

15 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Check your passport you will see it. When you came first time, it was stamped D/S, you were authorized to stay during your master program.

But isn’t that status, which isn’t the same as a visa? I don’t know the answer but if you compare to other non immigrant visas, yes you have to leave when your status expires, but you can subsequently use the same visa for a new entry if it’s still before expiry and allows for multiple entry. I’m not an expert on this at all but I’m struggling to see the basis of what principle a new visa would be needed.  The I20 would be the basis of the status on the next entry. Is it something to do with leaving the country in the interim, because in my understanding someone normally changing from one college to the next  in the following academic year for a further degree does not need a new F1 visa? (Or is my understanding wrong on this?)

Edited by SusieQQQ

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

But isn’t that status, which isn’t the same as a visa? I don’t know the answer but if you compare to other non immigrant visas, yes you have to leave when your status expires, but you can subsequently use the same visa for a new entry if it’s still before expiry and allows for multiple entry. I’m not an expert on this at all but I’m struggling to see the basis of what principle a new visa would be needed.  The I20 would be the basis of the status on the next entry. Is it something to do with leaving the country in the interim, because in my understanding someone normally changing from one college to the next  in the following academic year for a further degree does not need a new F1 visa? (Or is my understanding wrong on this?)

Duration of Status indicates that student is authorized to stay until the program ends. So as long as the program does not end, student can reenter using the same visa. Once the duration of status expires, student must leave within 60 days or file Change of status

A lot of issues are due to consulates issuing visa for 5 years while I-20 ends up for 2-3 years.  Consulates are pretty liberal with the whole visa duration 

duh

9 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Your response is very much in line with the university immigration officer's response. I just emailed her about the significance of the "d/s" note on my immigration stamp, and she responded this:

"This is good – you want that stamp! It means as long as you maintain the F1 Status, the visa will continue to be eligible for you."

This is making me even more confused, hahah

Edited by retro_jet

Just now, SusieQQQ said:

But isn’t that status, which isn’t the same as a visa? I don’t know the answer but if you compare to other non immigrant visas, yes you have to leave when your status expires, but you can subsequently use the same visa for a new entry if it’s still before expiry and allows for multiple entry. I’m not an expert on this at all but I’m struggling to see the basis of what principle a new visa would be needed.  Is it something to do with leaving the country in the interim, because in my understanding someone normally changing from one college to the next  in the following academic year for a further degree does not need a new F1 visa? (Or is my understanding wrong on this?)

It makes senses if OP is still in the US and enrolls in another program. I know a relative who had an artist visa (2 years), he came for another show after he finished the show he got his visa for, and he was denied entry. Even his visa was still valid for a long time. I don't know if  it is applicable for student visa.

N400

Just now, James120383 said:

Once the duration of status expires, student must leave within 60 days or file Change of status

I get that. I don’t see how a student necessarily needs a new visa if that has been complied with (no overstay).

If I enter on a B visa and get stamped for 6 months. I must leave within 6 month or file change or extension of status. But if I leave on time I can use the visa again. The end of the initial status doesn’t mean the end of the acceptable use of the visa. So I’m trying to understand if there is another factor that makes it different for F1.

2 minutes ago, retro_jet said:

Your response is very much in line with the university immigration officer's response. I just emailed her about the significance of the "d/s" note on my immigration stamp by saying this:

"This is good – you want that stamp! It means as long as you maintain the F1 Status, the visa will continue to be eligible for you."

This is making me even more confused, hahah

Well - you haven’t maintained status as you left, so you’d need a new d/s stamp on your next entry. Does she understand that you left for a year or whatever it was?

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well - you haven’t maintained status as you left, so you’d need a new d/s stamp on your next entry. Does she understand that you left for a year or whatever it was?

Yes, she understands it. I just emailed just in case, to which she said (she is being super prompt) that I did maintain status while I was here, and that I can still use the same visa, and that I will get a new stamp on it when I re-enter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.