Eladnolnod

CR-1 / IR-1 Interview updates

916 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, Eladnolnod said:

Unfortunately, I think it’s looking more than likely that NVC will not schedule any appointments till the embassy resumes ‘routine services.  The mission critical aspect of immediate family members doesn’t seem to carry much weight, In my opinion. 

Honestly, this is my fear and if that hunch is correct, who knows when routine may be routine.

1 minute ago, MattyUKtoUS said:

Honestly, this is my fear and if that hunch is correct, who knows when routine may be routine.

Yeah, I’ve settled with the fact this is probably the case & like you said, who knows when normal services will resume.

Im not getting my hopes up to have an appointment scheduled this year. So if anything happens earlier, I’ll be over the moon.

7 minutes ago, 8bithearts said:

I have seen on Facebook the last few days someone apparently had their interview, non expedited and not DCF, they DQ'd in January.

Assume that was a rescheduled interview of one that was cancelled? As I imagine their file was probably already in London at that time.

Edited by Eladnolnod

7 minutes ago, shallot343 said:

If it makes anyone feel any better--- with some down time I went through all of the visa data from calendar year 2018 - today based on post, visa type, and issuances from the state department website. I know the month of issuance is not always the same as month of the interview but in London, AP doesn't usually last as long as in the MENA countries so it is likely the lag between interview - issuance is no more than a couple weeks.  

Anyway, the UK accounted for only 1.5% of all visas (both immigrant and non immigrant) issued over that 2+ year period, compared to 2.8% of visas being issued in India, 2.9% in Canada, 4.6% from Mexico, etc. 

CR1/2 and IR/2 together account for just 7.2% of all visas issued worldwide. There are way more C, B, and J visas combined. K1s account for 1.7% of visas worldwide, for reference. 

It is a bit of an echo-chamber in here because most of us are either spouse or fiance visas which makes it feel like (to me at least) everyone waiting for a visa has a foreign spouse or partner, but the vast majority of people waiting for visas are either after a tourist, work, or study visa. And most people aren't waiting from the UK either. Given non "mission critical" visa types are unfortunately banned for the foreseeable, when the embassy does get back to doing some interviews, assuming they are only going to do spouse/family and emergency (diplomat, health worker etc), we are not likely going to see a 4+ month backlog, because many many of the interview slots in London are taken up by non-family/emergency visas in normal times.

That doesn't change the embassy not actively interviewing, which is infuriating, but it did make me feel better about my chances of seeing my partner again in the next 6 months. 

(also happy to share the data with anyone who has a better hand at stats that I do. It is a massive file )

Haha. I did the same thing a week ago (was in self isolation and nothing better to do). Was surprised by the amount of F1 and B category visas. With the travel ban in place as it is now, I doubt they will be allowed until 2021. 

I think once they start interviewing the DQed NVC spousal and child cases, they'll get through them in no time. 

A quick update from my side is that my status on CEAC has now changed to "issued". 

I believe I was the second person to have an appointment since non-emergency services resumed, so that should give people an indication of processing under COVID times. 

For context, I was able to book my own date as I'm DCF, but the embassy moved my appointment forward by a day, just a week before the appointment. I have no idea about people going through NVC, I'm afraid. Sorry it's not more helpful, but I figured I'd update on here. 

1 hour ago, Melc said:

A quick update from my side is that my status on CEAC has now changed to "issued". 

I believe I was the second person to have an appointment since non-emergency services resumed, so that should give people an indication of processing under COVID times. 

For context, I was able to book my own date as I'm DCF, but the embassy moved my appointment forward by a day, just a week before the appointment. I have no idea about people going through NVC, I'm afraid. Sorry it's not more helpful, but I figured I'd update on here. 

What is the best way to contact the Embassy? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
11 minutes ago, jarrod679 said:

What is the best way to contact the Embassy? 

Use the contact form  https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-information-services/contact-us-immigrant-visas/

Scroll down to the end to this part—

If your inquiry remains unanswered, please contact us through our contact form here . Please include your case number (e.g. LND2013XXXXXX). Failure to do so will delay our response

Edited by Wuozopo

3 hours ago, shallot343 said:

If it makes anyone feel any better--- with some down time I went through all of the visa data from calendar year 2018 - today based on post, visa type, and issuances from the state department website. I know the month of issuance is not always the same as month of the interview but in London, AP doesn't usually last as long as in the MENA countries so it is likely the lag between interview - issuance is no more than a couple weeks.  

Anyway, the UK accounted for only 1.5% of all visas (both immigrant and non immigrant) issued over that 2+ year period, compared to 2.8% of visas being issued in India, 2.9% in Canada, 4.6% from Mexico, etc. 

CR1/2 and IR/2 together account for just 7.2% of all visas issued worldwide. There are way more C, B, and J visas combined. K1s account for 1.7% of visas worldwide, for reference. 

It is a bit of an echo-chamber in here because most of us are either spouse or fiance visas which makes it feel like (to me at least) everyone waiting for a visa has a foreign spouse or partner, but the vast majority of people waiting for visas are either after a tourist, work, or study visa. And most people aren't waiting from the UK either. Given non "mission critical" visa types are unfortunately banned for the foreseeable, when the embassy does get back to doing some interviews, assuming they are only going to do spouse/family and emergency (diplomat, health worker etc), we are not likely going to see a 4+ month backlog, because many many of the interview slots in London are taken up by non-family/emergency visas in normal times.

That doesn't change the embassy not actively interviewing, which is infuriating, but it did make me feel better about my chances of seeing my partner again in the next 6 months. 

(also happy to share the data with anyone who has a better hand at stats that I do. It is a massive file )

I was thinking exactly the same today (just without your exact numbers and stats!) 

Now that beauty salons and cinemas can open, I am crossing my fingers the embassy isn’t too far behind. I am sure I have seen other CR1/IR1 have interviews in other countries so I have assumed it is a UK decision to resume embassy service and not US? 

Timeline
30 minutes ago, LondonerCat said:

I was thinking exactly the same today (just without your exact numbers and stats!) 

Now that beauty salons and cinemas can open, I am crossing my fingers the embassy isn’t too far behind. I am sure I have seen other CR1/IR1 have interviews in other countries so I have assumed it is a UK decision to resume embassy service and not US? 

The thing is, I thought they already could open - I can walk into my bank, hardware stores, TGI Fridays etc etc. I don't believe anything the government said they had to stay shut so it must be entirely down to the embassy and the staff or safety. Though I must admit, I was hopeful July 6th would be the start of more happening. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, shallot343 said:

I must admit to spending a lot of time looking at stats and trying to work out where we stand - I still think that they don't plan to open until it's worthwhile for them - either no social distancing or more cases to interview. I do hope I am wrong with this but I am not seeing anything to support any cases other than DCR or expedite. :(  Thanks for the insight though. It's always good to look and keep an eye pealed. 

The US determines when the US embassy will resume routine visa services. The UK can ask for it not to open, or possibly put restrictions on its own residents, but unless they are willing to expel the staff they can't stop the embassy from opening. Conversely, they cannot force it to open either.

Side note, the embassy is handling emergency appointments on a case by case basis.

I think the term "expedite" has been thrown around incorrectly.

An expedited case would not progress to an interview until they are accepting interviews for that visa category. Expedites refer to the speed/priority at which an interview is obtained, not their eligibility for one.

Once processing of a visa class is resumed, then the expedited cases i that class should be at the front of the line. That line may still be very slow, depending on processing capacity of the available embassy staff (in many places, they have skeleton crews still).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.