David & Olga

US Embassy Reopening - Update Thread

580 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
8 hours ago, nishv said:

Any idea about Mumbai consulate!? Are they even working or not!?

I have been following Mumbai closely and its been very frustrating. They opened spousal visas on September 1st and have given interview dates to most of those whose appointments had been canceled. Still, they have not processed any K1s. Only hope is that K1 lawsuit positive outcome will force embassies worldwide to give K1s same priority as spousal visas. There is no specific date if and when that will happen.

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [M])

Sent packet: October 21, 2019

USCIS Received package: October 22, 2019
Notification in text/email: October 30, 2019
Mail received from USCIS: November 09, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: May 06, 2020

event.png

On 10/13/2020 at 8:54 AM, Buci said:

We received the P3 from the embassy in Bosnia today and were able to schedule the first available appointment on November 23! 🎉😁🎉

Congrats 🎉, Were you able to set your medical appointment yet? 

24 minutes ago, ATJ said:

Congrats 🎉, Were you able to set your medical appointment yet? 

Thanks @ATJ! Congrats to you too! :dance: Yes, my fiance called the doctor yesterday and was able to schedule his medical for tomorrow (Friday) morning. What about you? Were you able to schedule yours? 

44 minutes ago, Buci said:

Thanks @ATJ! Congrats to you too! :dance: Yes, my fiance called the doctor yesterday and was able to schedule his medical for tomorrow (Friday) morning. What about you? Were you able to schedule yours? 

Thank you! My fiancé called today and they took down our info; name, date of birth, case number, visa type etc and said they would text him an appt date and what to bring with him. I take it that’s not what happened with you guys lol? 

1 hour ago, ATJ said:

Thank you! My fiancé called today and they took down our info; name, date of birth, case number, visa type etc and said they would text him an appt date and what to bring with him. I take it that’s not what happened with you guys 

No, he was able to talk to the doctor when he called and schedule an exam date right away. I'm going to send you a pm so we don't take over this thread with Bosnia's specifics lol 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
On 10/9/2020 at 5:15 AM, Mtu Mzuri said:

Don't lose heart. In about 25 days, there is an election. If all goes well, we will have a new president and new support for easing immigration restrictions. 

Nairobi stated that this month (October) they will be doing immigrant visa applications which were cancelled earlier this year. We are still waiting to be contacted. All will be well soon. Don't lose hope.

You know that Trump had nothing to do with the Embassies not doing K1 interviews and that it’s all local governments? But let’s try to keep our personal political opinions out of this. 

Edited by Tacos

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Tacos said:

You know that Trump had nothing to do with the Embassies not doing K1 interviews and that it’s all local governments? But let’s try to keep our personal political opinions out of this. 

US Embassies and consulates decide whether they re-open or not, local governments don't have the right to decide for them.

Besides that, embassies don't have to fully re-open to do K1 interviews. It's a matter of priority, many are doing CR1 interviews while being closed to other catogories. State Department has announced embassies are authorized to give K1s  high prioritiy.

For some countries it comes down to the travel ban, a Trump Presidential Proclamation. Guangzhou consulate replied in an email that the travel ban is the reason they haven't started K1 interviews, and they won't start until that's lifted.

Edited by YueQian

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
1 hour ago, YueQian said:

US Embassies and consulates decide whether they re-open or not, local governments don't have the right to decide for them.

Yes that’s what I meant by local governments, but thanks for clarifying for others.

Besides that, embassies don't have to fully re-open to do K1 interviews. It's a matter of priority, many are doing CR1 interviews while being closed to other catogories. State Department has announced embassies are authorized to give K1s  high prioritiy.

So Trump told Mike Pompeo, who told the embassies to do K1s? Thought everyone is blaming him for the K1 interviews not happening. Which is it? 

For some countries it comes down to the travel ban, a Trump Presidential Proclamation. Guangzhou consulate replied in an email that the travel ban is the reason they haven't started K1 interviews, and they won't start until that's lifted.

Did you read the proclamation for yourself? There was nothing in the proclamation that mentions non-immigrant visas, such as the fiancé visas. The proclamation was to protect American jobs while the economy recovers, and to prevent those that want to do harm to the US and the economic recovery, from entering. There was nothing said, or implied was directed towards non immigrant visas. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Tacos said:

Did you read the proclamation for yourself? There was nothing in the proclamation that mentions non-immigrant visas, such as the fiancé visas. The proclamation was to protect American jobs while the economy recovers, and to prevent those that want to do harm to the US and the economic recovery, from entering. There was nothing said, or implied was directed towards non immigrant visas. 

You should read the proclamations yourself, yes, there are multiple. Can't discuss this when you don't even know what the travel ban is... What you're talking about is not the travel ban, which bans entry of all people who have been to certain countries, regardless of visa types, and it's certainly being used as the reason not to start K1 interviews.  

On 9/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, LegalAlienn said:

Yes.. I got my interview for 5th October and then they moved it back again for 19th.. so hoping now they won’t push that one as well.. even though they’ve been publishing for 3 weeks that they are processing K visas

Sooo how did your interview goo? 

10 minutes ago, DenisaH said:

Sooo how did your interview goo? 

I got approved :)

So technically my standing point after this interview is if your case got approved by USCIS and you collect all the documents the embassy tells you to collect, you SHOULD NOT worry at all. But basically here is how it looked like:

First you go through the security check at the entrance where you need to have a mask on.. actually all the time it has to be on.. after that you come in and go to the first window (bosnian lady) where she asks for the documents that they tell you through P3 letter to bring in. You hand in everything and wait until CO calls you. Once he called me he asked me this:

Are you ready to go to America? -Yes

Why? -To marry my fiancee

Tell me about her? - And there I told him how we met and just some small things about us. 
After that he said that my visa has been approved and that’s it!

The only problem is that the idiot doctor I did my medical didnt turn it in, so now I gotta wait until he turns that in, but he said that he will do that today, so I shouldn’t wait long to get my passport with visa. 
Also you can speak with CO in Bosnian or English whatever works good for you. I spoke in English because it is easier to understand them since their Bosnian is not that perfect 🙈

1 hour ago, LegalAlienn said:

I got approved :)

So technically my standing point after this interview is if your case got approved by USCIS and you collect all the documents the embassy tells you to collect, you SHOULD NOT worry at all. But basically here is how it looked like:

First you go through the security check at the entrance where you need to have a mask on.. actually all the time it has to be on.. after that you come in and go to the first window (bosnian lady) where she asks for the documents that they tell you through P3 letter to bring in. You hand in everything and wait until CO calls you. Once he called me he asked me this:

Are you ready to go to America? -Yes

Why? -To marry my fiancee

Tell me about her? - And there I told him how we met and just some small things about us. 
After that he said that my visa has been approved and that’s it!

The only problem is that the idiot doctor I did my medical didnt turn it in, so now I gotta wait until he turns that in, but he said that he will do that today, so I shouldn’t wait long to get my passport with visa. 
Also you can speak with CO in Bosnian or English whatever works good for you. I spoke in English because it is easier to understand them since their Bosnian is not that perfect 🙈

Yaay! Congrats!! Thanks this makes me feel waay better about the embassy interview, my fiance is super nervous even if were not even close to the interview yet

10 minutes ago, DenisaH said:

Yaay! Congrats!! Thanks this makes me feel waay better about the embassy interview, my fiance is super nervous even if were not even close to the interview yet

Yes - I was nervous too and all other applicants today, but trust me.. If you guys have all VALID documents there is no need for panic attacks. The embassy staff is super friendly and all the things they ask is what you already know. I just wish they didn’t extend this COVID shitshow for this long so we had to wait. But it is what it is! 
I hope all other applicants worldwide get to get their interview dates ASAP! Speedy interviews to all of you! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.