GordonRamsey

Changing Name while AoS is processing

22 posts in this topic

Hi,

My spouse and I were wanting to change our names (not only our last names) together.

To my understanding, there is a process to update your name and other biographical information on your green card after it is issued (I-90), but I can't seem to find anything on changing it post-filing AoS while being in the pre-interview phase.

Is there any process with USCIS to go about changing our names now without causing issues, or are we stuck waiting until after the green card is issued?

Thanks everyone!

5 minutes ago, James120383 said:

you can change during naturalization only. There is nothing at green card process. 

Just to be clear, Naturalization is becoming a fully fledged US citizen after holding a green card and residing here for so many years.

What's the purpose of the I-90 then? A main reason for it's purpose to my understanding is to allow you update your name and biographical information on your green card and have a replacement issued to you, so are you saying that's incorrect?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You cannot change your name in the US outside of Naturalization without a court order for a legal name change.

If you are a woman and changing your last name to your husband’s then you can do so with marriage certificate.  

Also, SSA will not change your name on your SS number without a court order or marriage certificate either.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

1 minute ago, Pinkrlion said:

If you are a woman and changing your last name to your husband’s then you can do so with marriage certificate.  

Any spouse should be able to change their name using a marriage certificate.  Same-sex marriage has been legal in all 50 states for years.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

Any spouse should be able to change their name using a marriage certificate.  Same-sex marriage has been legal in all 50 states for years.

I was using that statement as an example only. Thanks

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

1 hour ago, GordonRamsey said:

Just to be clear, Naturalization is becoming a fully fledged US citizen after holding a green card and residing here for so many years.

What's the purpose of the I-90 then? A main reason for it's purpose to my understanding is to allow you update your name and biographical information on your green card and have a replacement issued to you, so are you saying that's incorrect?

i-90 is to get a replacement card and not for name change 

duh

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, James120383 said:

i-90 is to get a replacement card and not for name change 

As long as you have a court order you can file I-90 and change your name.

Timeline
7 hours ago, GordonRamsey said:

Hi,

My spouse and I were wanting to change our names (not only our last names) together.

To my understanding, there is a process to update your name and other biographical information on your green card after it is issued (I-90), but I can't seem to find anything on changing it post-filing AoS while being in the pre-interview phase.

Is there any process with USCIS to go about changing our names now without causing issues, or are we stuck waiting until after the green card is issued?

Thanks everyone!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I'm Brazilian and I have a really long name. I regret not changing at least my last name when I got married. I was thinking about all the documents I would have to update, and the problems that would come with it. I ended up having a lot more problems because my long name doesn't fit on any system, any card. Not even my EAD has my full name on it.

When you change your name in a court, and you are an immigrant, you must contact USCIS to update your name. What I'm planning to do is to take the court order to the interview and try to have it updated there. Or, when I renew my EAD, I apply with my new name and I send the court order with it, they will have to update the name in the system and then the green card will come with the new name.

These are the two free ideas I had. No idea if it's gonna work. If not, I will wait for ROC to update the name.

Timeline
10 minutes ago, James120383 said:

his question was to change the name using I-90 

No. He mentioned using the I-90 to UPDATE the name after the green card has been issued. Not using it as a change of name document.

Edited by Ayrton

2 hours ago, Ayrton said:

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I'm Brazilian and I have a really long name. I regret not changing at least my last name when I got married. I was thinking about all the documents I would have to update, and the problems that would come with it. I ended up having a lot more problems because my long name doesn't fit on any system, any card. Not even my EAD has my full name on it.

When you change your name in a court, and you are an immigrant, you must contact USCIS to update your name. What I'm planning to do is to take the court order to the interview and try to have it updated there. Or, when I renew my EAD, I apply with my new name and I send the court order with it, they will have to update the name in the system and then the green card will come with the new name.

These are the two free ideas I had. No idea if it's gonna work. If not, I will wait for ROC to update the name.

I wish that someone who already tried this could come forward and offer us some advice, haha. It sounds like your plan might work, but it also sounds like it could be a nightmare and overcomplicate, delay, or invalidate the process so far. If only USCIS support was remotely useful or accurate for answering inquiries, maybe we could have more information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I changed my name after filing ROC and before naturalization. Didn't update USCIS, went straight to the Social Security Administration and then got my new DL. Booked plane tickets with my former name so I could use my GC once ROC was over. Ended up changing my name everything but my green card and my original passport.

Filed N-400 with my new name, did not ask for a name change, got the certificate with the new name and then my US passport with the new name. Not a big deal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

You cannot change your name in the US outside of Naturalization without a court order for a legal name change.

In some states either or both spouses can change their last (and sometimes middle) names via marriage.

Here in CA, both spouses can change their last and middle names (within some limits).

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

14 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

If you're a man, you can do the same. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.