Vabsmith

Public Charge Question for Parents

58 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello

My question is regarding filling the I-944 form and evaluating the outcome of the public charge totality of circumstances for the parents AOS application

In my parents case here are the positive and negative factors as I understand based on https://fam.state.gov/FAM/09FAM/09FAM030208.html#M302_8_2_B_2

Positive factors-

1. Household size

2. Assets and finances of the household

3. Zero benefits applied for or availed during the stay

4. Have healthcare coverage ( covering a few months of their stay and extendable beyond that -mild diabetic but no serious illness)

Negative factors-

1. Age ( 66)

2. Education  ( High school only- have proof)

3. Skills -Don't have documents to prove on the job skills acquired such as  payroll time keeping, mainframe computer operating, MS word, office administrator etc.

4. Languages- Don't have documents to prove the proficiency level in three languages

Questions-

Would it be okay it they mention the skills on the form and provide a letter of explanation of non-availability of the proof for the skills?

Would it be okay if they mention the language proficiency on the form and provide a letter mentioning the non-availability of proof?

What other options for supporting documentation they might use for education/skills/languages portion to make a favorable outcome with the application ?

I think given their age, you need to provide a whole lot of emphasis on how they intend to pay for their retirement here e.g. their retirement funds, their dissolvable assets in India, their savings etc.. 

information regarding their qualifications and skills is pretty much irrelevant given their age and the likelihood of them being able to obtaining gainful employment for long term sustainability. 

AOS Journey

• I-485 etc filed 23 April 2020 
  • NOA1 I-485 June 3 2020 
  • NOA1 EAD 23 April 2020
  • Biometrics 5 Jan 2021
  • EAD approved 12 March 2021
  • Interview Completed 24 March 2021
  • EAD Card Received 1 April 2021  
  • Case under review 2 April 2021
  • New Card is Being Produced 25 September 2021
  • 10 Year Green Card Approved and Mailed 27 September 2021 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

Skills, education etc are hardly relevant at 66. They are of retirement age so showing adequate finances to be able to retire in the US, savings, pensions whatever would be key.

4 minutes ago, Duke & Marie said:

I think given their age, you need to provide a whole lot of emphasis on how they intend to pay for their retirement here e.g. their retirement funds, their dissolvable assets in India, their savings etc.. 

information regarding their qualifications and skills is pretty much irrelevant given their age and the likelihood of them being able to obtaining gainful employment for long term sustainability. 

Agree. Paying for healthcare will probably be key too.

1 hour ago, Vabsmith said:

Have healthcare coverage ( covering a few months of their stay and extendable beyond that -mild diabetic but no serious illness)

Healthcare becomes often exponentially expensive with age.  This plus not working is the reason their age is a negative. Have you researched proper future coverage, deductibles etc? 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 hour ago, Duke & Marie said:

Great points; Thanks. I am able to show strong finances for the household which I was under an impression would be enough  but their own retirement/pension/real estate info is not available to be added at this point. 

And that number ( their own finances) is small compared to the household finances... 
Now I am wondering is it worth for them to do CP after they return to the home country where they can have the real estate documents to show at the interview OR file now where we are showing strong enough finances for the household... 

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

Healthcare becomes often exponentially expensive with age.  This plus not working is the reason their age is a negative. Have you researched proper future coverage, deductibles etc? 

Thanks; I have to some extent; I think it is manageable. 

18 minutes ago, Vabsmith said:

Thanks; I have to some extent; I think it is manageable. 

It’s not about whether you think it is manageable- but about whether you can convince an interviewing officer that you’ve researched it properly and have it covered. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Can someone send over their investment, pension, real estate info?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
27 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s not about whether you think it is manageable- but about whether you can convince an interviewing officer that you’ve researched it properly and have it covered. 

Understood. How can I include that research info in the AOS filing paperwork? 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Can someone send over their investment, pension, real estate info?

Good point... I am Thinking if this is doable at all... 
in case it is not possible then would that be a great factor in the decision making...so much that it would rather make the CP rout more favorable? 

22 minutes ago, Vabsmith said:

Good point... I am Thinking if this is doable at all... 
in case it is not possible then would that be a great factor in the decision making...so much that it would rather make the CP rout more favorable? 

If it’s not material, as you indicated, then I wouldn’t bother. But surely the information is obtainable from here, anyway.

38 minutes ago, Vabsmith said:

Understood. How can I include that research info in the AOS filing paperwork? 

Well, you can try something like this to get an estimate. It yields estimated monthly plan costs plus deductibles. I don’t think you’ll get more exact than that. 
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
14 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well, you can try something like this to get an estimate. It yields estimated monthly plan costs plus deductibles. I don’t think you’ll get more exact than that. 
https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/

Thanks. This is a great comparison of plans. I submit an estimate of how much the yearly premium would be and attach it to my application ? 

Timeline
23 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

If it’s not material, as you indicated, then I wouldn’t bother. But surely the information is obtainable from here, anyway.

Any pointers on how I can obtain the financial info from here? 

5 minutes ago, Vabsmith said:

Thanks. This is a great comparison of plans. I submit an estimate of how much the yearly premium would be and attach it to my application ? 

I’d say, premium plus deductibles at the minimum and show you can cover it. 

3 minutes ago, Vabsmith said:

Any pointers on how I can obtain the financial info from here? 

Surely most of it (bank, pension, investment info) is available online? Real estate may be trickier, get an appraisal done and sent over.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.