ws1889

Does an I-130 with the USCIS Expire?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

I petitioned for an I-130 for my spouse in 2017, and it was approved shortly after. Now, I'm about to file an I-824 to transfer my case from USCIS to the NVC, but am concerned that perhaps my case has expired somehow?

On the USCIS online webpage, I am able to find my receipt number, and it says,  "Case was approved." Anyways, I wanted to double check with this forum that nothing here is awry, because after all, 2017 was a while ago. Perhaps it's obviously okay, but $500 is a lot of money, so better to check here first rather than be sorry! Thank you for your help!

Edited by ws1889

Filed: IR-2 Country: Haiti
Timeline
11 minutes ago, ws1889 said:

I petitioned for an I-130 for my spouse in 2017, and it was approved shortly after. Now, I'm about to file an I-824 to transfer my case from USCIS to the NVC, but am concerned that perhaps my case has expired somehow?

On the USCIS online webpage, I am able to find my receipt number, and it says,  "Case was approved." Anyways, I wanted to double check with this forum that nothing here is awry, because after all, 2017 was a while ago. Perhaps it's obviously okay, but $500 is a lot of money, so better to check here first rather than be sorry! Thank you for your help!

Did you receive then a welcome letter from NVC. Do you still have the case number from NVC

Timeline
12 minutes ago, kendelle said:

Did you receive then a welcome letter from NVC. Do you still have the case number from NVC

It was never sent to NVC because at the time we had planned to do AOS. But now, we're abroad so we'll need to apply for consular processing.

I-130 approval never expires. 

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
35 minutes ago, ws1889 said:

It doesn't expire, it might be in cold storage.  It can be retrieved and reinstated.  

YMMV

Timeline
7 minutes ago, ws1889 said:

It was never sent to NVC because at the time we had planned to do AOS. But now, we're abroad so we'll need to apply for consular processing.

I suggest you contact USCIS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Agree that an I-130 doesn't expire as long as the relationship still exists......

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

You'll need to file form I-824 which is used to request additional action on a previously approved application.  In addition, you need to attach documents such as copies of the original I-130 petition or a copy of the approval notice  (Form I-797). You can download Form I-824 at uscis.gov 

You can also complete Form G-1145 and attach it to the front page of your application if you want to receive email notification of the status of the request by USCIS. Good luck.

Timeline
19 hours ago, kendelle said:

You'll need to file form I-824 which is used to request additional action on a previously approved application.  In addition, you need to attach documents such as copies of the original I-130 petition or a copy of the approval notice  (Form I-797). You can download Form I-824 at uscis.gov 

You can also complete Form G-1145 and attach it to the front page of your application if you want to receive email notification of the status of the request by USCIS. Good luck.

Thank you for all of this wonderful information!

Timeline
10 hours ago, HRQX said:

An I-130 does not expire, although it could be sent to the National Records Center (NRC) and eventually destroyed.

If I were to file the I-824, would the USCIS still retain a copy of the approved I-130, or is the whole record completely removed from their system once they send it to the NVC?

1 hour ago, ws1889 said:

If I were to file the I-824, would the USCIS still retain a copy of the approved I-130, or is the whole record completely removed from their system once they send it to the NVC?

They move it to the NVC.  If you don't do something with it within a year, it's move back to the NRC (national records center)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
3 hours ago, NikLR said:

They move it to the NVC.  If you don't do something with it within a year, it's move back to the NRC (national records center)

I see. That's good to know.

On part 3 question 1.a. of the I-824, it asks for "form number of previously approved application or petition." Is this just the number of the form I received (e.g. I-797)? I'm not quite sure what to make of this part - otherwise, all good!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, ws1889 said:

I see. That's good to know.

On part 3 question 1.a. of the I-824, it asks for "form number of previously approved application or petition." Is this just the number of the form I received (e.g. I-797)? I'm not quite sure what to make of this part - otherwise, all good!

I130 .  I797 is neither an application nor a petition 

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.