Bjh

How long does the biometrics appointment take?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We just got NOA1 in the mail for AOS and EAD at the end of April, it seems the biometrics appointments happen about a month after this based on VJ timelines.

For those who have done biometrics appointments, what time do they usually start and how long do they take?

Usually it's about a month or 2, depending on ASC. However, all ASCs are not taking appointments until at least June due to the COVID. There will be a backlog when they reopen, although ACSs don't tend to feel the backlogs nearly as much as the field offices, so I don't think it will be a significant delay once they reopen.

No idea when they "start"...you'll be assigned a time. You may or may not be able to do a walk-in earlier that day or even another day. it varies by ASC.

It takes like 5 minutes, assuming nobody else is there (as was the case for my now-wife).

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

I'm also waiting for the biometrics appointment, I recevied a message in the first week of April saying they received my case and mailed me the NOA1, nothing has being updated in the case status  since then. I was also wondering how long could take for the biometrics appointments too.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Our appointment took hours. We arrived early, thinking we would be in and out like so many people here have reported. Not at the Elizabeth NJ office. Even though we had an appointment, it was still first come first served, and the line was loooong!  We were there for about three and a half hours. From what I've read on this site, other offices don't seem to work this way, but just be prepared in case yours does.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Dominica
Timeline
11 hours ago, BirdSong said:

I got NOA1 in the mail today saying that my husband will have his biometrics electronically captured. Did yours say that?

Everybody's say that. Its the next step in the process.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
29 minutes ago, malajoe said:

Everybody's say that. Its the next step in the process.

Oh okay. I was thinking husband was going to have a Zoom biometrics appointment haha! It didn't make sense but for some reason I had my mind made up that's what it meant! 😂

Timeline
10 minutes ago, BirdSong said:

Oh okay. I was thinking husband was going to have a Zoom biometrics appointment haha! It didn't make sense but for some reason I had my mind made up that's what it meant! 😂

It means they use an electronic fingerprint capture device. 😄

Timeline
14 minutes ago, BirdSong said:

Wouldn't that be awesome. I don't think there is a specific timeline for anything when it comes to immigrations. Just depends on where your fingerprints are to be taken and their workload. The offices should reopen June 4th so we just have to wait and see.

Edited by malajoe

Timeline
1 hour ago, Joyoussinger said:

Our appointment took hours. We arrived early, thinking we would be in and out like so many people here have reported. Not at the Elizabeth NJ office. Even though we had an appointment, it was still first come first served, and the line was loooong!  We were there for about three and a half hours. From what I've read on this site, other offices don't seem to work this way, but just be prepared in case yours does.

Everything is taking forever these days. When I did my AOS in 2009. The process took 6 months from start to finish and thats with RFEs and all. My mom did her citizenship in 2018. 4 months start to finish. Hoping my  husband follows the trend..hahah

Timeline
30 minutes ago, malajoe said:

Everything is taking forever these days. When I did my AOS in 2009. The process took 6 months from start to finish and thats with RFEs and all. My mom did her citizenship in 2018. 4 months start to finish. Hoping my  husband follows the trend..hahah

30 minutes ago, malajoe said:

I hope so, too! Best of luck to you and your husband!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

When I went for my first biometrics I had to wait for 1,5 hour past my appointment time, there were a ton of people, and it was around 9-10am. The actual fingerprint/photo taking only took 2 minutes. 

After that I never went for any of the assigned biometrics appointment dates again, every biometrics since my first one I have always done an early walk-in. Always after 1pm, the place has been nearly empty that time of the day everytime. Instead of a 1,5 hour wait it has only taken 10-15 minutes.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, Scandi said:

When I went for my first biometrics I had to wait for 1,5 hour past my appointment time, there were a ton of people, and it was around 9-10am. The actual fingerprint/photo taking only took 2 minutes. 

After that I never went for any of the assigned biometrics appointment dates again, every biometrics since my first one I have always done an early walk-in. Always after 1pm, the place has been nearly empty that time of the day everytime. Instead of a 1,5 hour wait it has only taken 10-15 minutes.

We did what you recommend the first time we went. Definitely early afternoon is the best, right after lunchtime and the best day of the week to do an early walk-in is Wednesday. I've been told at many ASC they call it " Walk-in Wednesday" as it is the slowest day. We were in and out in 10 minutes, the only ones there, and that is with 6 of the 10 minutes being used to go thru security.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.