eirinlinn

I CAN'T GET MY IRS TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT

14 posts in this topic

Due to the IRS being a completely braindead entity I am unable to get my current year tax transcript. I still have my prefilled tax FORM and return on credit karma but for some reason the ID identification isn't recognizing my student loan, auto loan, or any loan that I have and has kicked me out from trying again to another 24 hours. I'm about to break down into tears because I know that I won't be able to get this document no matter what because the on the phone service is suspended indefinitely. 

What to do?! !?! ?! ?! !? !? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Credit karma shows auto loans and such for a credit report 

but these are not listed on IRS tax returns as we can not longer deduct the interest as we could do years ago

loans that would show interest paid out if you did Schedule A would be mortgage and home equity s that interest can be deducted / these would not appear on anything if you do standard deduction

You just applied for K1 in February 2020   you are a long way from needing the IRS statement

Good luck to you

@JeanneAdil Do I even need a tax refund to go with my I-134? Am I understanding the instructions correctly? Because it says that it's for the self employed . will my tax forms be enough though? Cause there's no way I can get anything from the IRS in the forseeable future. 

"Did you submit the following? 

• A signed statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution that states when you opened an account, the total amount deposited for the past year, and the present balance of such account
  • A signed statement from your employer on business letterhead that states the date and nature of your employment, salary paid, and whether the position is temporary or permanent
  • A copy of your last income federal tax return filed, or a report of commercial rating concern (if self-employed)
  • A list containing the serial numbers and denominations of bonds and names of the owners (if applicable)"

Those questions are part of identity proofing provided by Equifax, not part of the IRS itself. They're used by many online services. The fault lies with them.

https://www.equifax.com/business/irs-income-verification-4506t/

You can call the IRS to request a transcript as well. Alternatively, you can provide the 1040 + all W-2s, 1099s, etc. supporting it. A transcript is not required...it is just easier/less likely to miss something as it's a single printout.

The tax return is not strictly required for an I-134, although it is not uncommon for COs at some consulates to want to see.

It will be required for the I-864 for AOS purposes later (after arriving in the US on the K-1 visa).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

@geowrianThat's the problem though they aren't sending transcripts through the mail right now and there's no way to even ask somebody about it on the phone. 

That's how I've always had to get my transcripts is because it's never working. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

You just applied for K1 February 2020

you will not need any of this soon

If required for the interview ,  yours is a long way off

Edited by JeanneAdil

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, eirinlinn said:

Due to the IRS being a completely braindead entity I am unable to get my current year tax transcript. I still have my prefilled tax FORM and return on credit karma but for some reason the ID identification isn't recognizing my student loan, auto loan, or any loan that I have and has kicked me out from trying again to another 24 hours. I'm about to break down into tears because I know that I won't be able to get this document no matter what because the on the phone service is suspended indefinitely. 

What to do?! !?! ?! ?! !? !? 

I ran into a similar problem. I was able to get past the step you were on with one of my credit card numbers. Then it wants to verify the phone number by sending a text message with a unique number. No matter how many times I tried I never received the text message with the number I needed to enter...

I found a paper form that can be filled out and mailed or faxed into the IRS to request a tax return transcript. After I read the 'fine print' I found out that it would not work for me. (I filed my 2019 taxes. But instructed them not to pay the amount due until the new deadline, July 15th. According to the IRS web site they will not produce the tax return transcript for 2019 until a few weeks after you actually pay the amount due. So I have to wait until approximately the start of August to request my tax return transcript for 2019.)

But, here is the URL to the IRS's web page that has information about form 4506-T, the form you can use to request a tax return transcript. Hope it helps you: 

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506-t

There is another form they mention, a 4506-T-EZ

Since I was unable to request the transcript at this time I didn't look into details about the differences between these two forms.... Here is the URL of the page at the IRS that discusses the 'EZ' form:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506-t-ez

Edited by JoeMc

@geowrian is correct. Your embassy doesn't require a TT according to their required document page found here https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-k-3.html#8

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline
19 hours ago, eirinlinn said:

@JeanneAdil Do I even need a tax refund to go with my I-134? Am I understanding the instructions correctly? Because it says that it's for the self employed . will my tax forms be enough though? Cause there's no way I can get anything from the IRS in the forseeable future. 

"Did you submit the following? 

• A signed statement from an officer of the bank or other financial institution that states when you opened an account, the total amount deposited for the past year, and the present balance of such account
  • A signed statement from your employer on business letterhead that states the date and nature of your employment, salary paid, and whether the position is temporary or permanent
  • A copy of your last income federal tax return filed, or a report of commercial rating concern (if self-employed)
  • A list containing the serial numbers and denominations of bonds and names of the owners (if applicable)"

I’m going through the same as well it’s hard for me to get my tax transcript !!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Do any of you use Turbotax to file taxes? I've been doing it for the past 10 years and all my tax documents are right there. If I need anything I can just login and print it out. Very convenient for the price of about $100 a year.

• 4 weeks later...

I use TurboTax so I can just print my tax returns myself. When you filed your taxes, didn't you get a copy of your return? I believe that is what they are asking for not a transcript from the IRS but the actually Tax forms you filed. I could have missed something in your messages though:) 

12 minutes ago, sm8408 said:

I use TurboTax so I can just print my tax returns myself. When you filed your taxes, didn't you get a copy of your return? I believe that is what they are asking for not a transcript from the IRS but the actually Tax forms you filed. I could have missed something in your messages though:) 

The tax return transcript is suggested as it's a simple one-document item (and can be just 1 or 2 pages for most people). There's very little to mess up.

A copy of the return can be provided instead. The issue is it means a full copy of the return, including all W-2s, 1099s, and other supporting schedules. This tends to have more issues as somebody forgets a schedule (i.e. printing from TurboTax may not have the actual W-2s) or it gets lost along the way. But is is absolutely doable.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:47 AM, geowrian said:

A copy of the return can be provided instead.

Unfortunately, in the case of a CR-1 interview, providing a tax return when a transcript is unavailable is not always accepted.  Disclaimer: I am not sure if a K-1 visa interview has different requirements than CR-1 / spousal visas. See: https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/750275-cr-1-visa-approval-without-irs-tax-transcript-manila-embassy/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.