emmewalle

Long-distance relationship - Immigration in a non-COVID scenario - K1 or CR-1?!

101 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
8 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

Ah, thanks!  I don't think pakistan would be involved, I have no history of living there...

Pakistani Citizen would be the issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

NEW FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:

Hi guys!

A couple of more things came to mind:

1. When I became a naturalized Canadian Citizen, the legal name on all my Canadian passports (2 expired and 1 current) is: FIRST NAME LAST NAME.  My UAE birth cert and Pakistani passport @ birth (and all subsequent ones until the very last one expired, and I've never renewed it) + currently valid Pakistani Overseas National ID card has FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME.  I'm not sure how/why they dropped my middle name in Canada; I don't EVER use it, so perhaps when I was filling in the forms (I was 21 at the time), I must have overlooked the need to include it. However, my Canadian citizenship card states FN, MN, LN... but the passport is just FN LN.  Would this be an issue?
  2. This checklist no longer includes the beneficiary/intending immigrant (i.e. ME) birth cert + translation - so I don't see how they would pick up my original name at birth.  However I have read somewhere that even though this is no longer required, people still include it.  I'm conflicted now - if I include it, I may a can of worms (re: point #1 above), if I don't include it, they could always ask for it stating that it is a requirement (since the VJ checklist isn't official - tried looking for the USCIS checklist, couldn't find it...) How often are the VJ info/guides/forms/checklists updated?
  3. Is there a checklist by country? or is it the same as the VJ link above for all?

Thank you sooo much!!

Edited by emmewalle

3 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Pakistani Citizen would be the issue.

Even if I don't have an updated passport? I did not formally give up my citizenship (I can....I have no use for it)......

On 4/28/2020 at 9:17 AM, geowrian said:

Spouse of a USC is exempt from the most recent EO.

Hello! Just read some conflicting messages on this re: the EO.  Since the CR-1 is an immigrant visa, it is subject to the ban.. :(

2 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

Hello! Just read some conflicting messages on this re: the EO.  Since the CR-1 is an immigrant visa, it is subject to the ban.. :(

Immigrant visas are subject to the ban.

Spouse of a USC is exempt from the ban.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Immigrant visas are subject to the ban.

Spouse of a USC is exempt from the ban.

thanks! but given that the visa the spouse of a USC is applying for is an immigrant visa, how does this work? (sorry, this is all so new and confusing to me, appreciate the help!)

8 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

thanks! but given that the visa the spouse of a USC is applying for is an immigrant visa, how does this work? (sorry, this is all so new and confusing to me, appreciate the help!)

It means you go through the normal process and interview for the visa. The CO will determine if you are exempt under the EO, which you would be as the spouse of a USC, then the visa can be issued (assuming no other issues are present).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Just now, geowrian said:

It means you go through the normal process and interview for the visa. The CO will determine if you are exempt under the EO, which you would be as the spouse of a USC, then the visa can be issued (assuming no other issues are present).

Ok, makes sense, but do the initial stages of the process (i.e the 'normal process and interview for the visa' stated in your message) be a challenge (up until they figure out I am the spouse of a USC)? 

1 minute ago, emmewalle said:

Ok, makes sense, but do the initial stages of the process (i.e the 'normal process and interview for the visa' stated in your message) be a challenge (up until they figure out I am the spouse of a USC)?

I would not expect there to be an issue. AFAIK, "normal processing" is still in play throughout the rest of the process.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
8 hours ago, emmewalle said:

Even if I don't have an updated passport? I did not formally give up my citizenship (I can....I have no use for it)......

All you need is a Passport, presumably you will use your Canadian one, one thing I was surprised was how few Americans have passports.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

On 5/1/2020 at 5:20 AM, Boiler said:

All you need is a Passport, presumably you will use your Canadian one, one thing I was surprised was how few Americans have passports.

Yeah, I have a valid Canadian passport.  I do not have a valid Pakistani passport (I did not give up my citizenship when I became a naturalized Canadian citizen). Based on this, I don't think the Pakistan side of my life would give me any issues.. I was born with the nationality and did not live there.

NEW FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:

Hi guys!

1. When I became a naturalized Canadian Citizen, the legal name on all my Canadian passports (2 expired and 1 current) is: FIRST NAME LAST NAME.  My UAE birth cert and Pakistani passport @ birth (and all subsequent ones until the very last one expired, and I've never renewed it) + currently valid Pakistani Overseas National ID card has FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME LAST NAME.  I'm not sure how/why they dropped my middle name in Canada; I don't EVER use it, so perhaps when I was filling in the forms (I was 21 at the time), I must have overlooked the need to include it. However, my Canadian citizenship card states FN, MN, LN... but the passport is just FN LN.  Would this be an issue?
  2. This checklist no longer includes the beneficiary/intending immigrant (i.e. ME) birth cert + translation - so I don't see how they would pick up my original name at birth.  However I have read somewhere that even though this is no longer required, people still include it.  I'm conflicted now - if I include it, I may a can of worms (re: point #1 above), if I don't include it, they could always ask for it stating that it is a requirement (since the VJ checklist isn't official - tried looking for the USCIS checklist, couldn't find it...) How often are the VJ info/guides/forms/checklists updated?
  3. Is there a checklist by country? or is it the same as the VJ link above for all?

Thank you sooo much!!

On 4/30/2020 at 8:39 PM, emmewalle said:

NEW FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS:

Hi guys!

Thank you sooo much!!

@geowrian would like to pick your brain on this :) thank you so much!

Timeline

I seriously doubt it would be a block to the process, just a delay factor.

3 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

Yeah, I have a valid Canadian passport.  I do not have a valid Pakistani passport (I did not give up my citizenship when I became a naturalized Canadian citizen). Based on this, I don't think the Pakistan side of my life would give me any issues.. I was born with the nationality and did not live there.

There are several checklists, one for thr I-130 and one for the civil documents for the NVC and interview.  It really doesnt matter if your passport has your middle name or not.  You shoud put it down at the very least under "other names used" .  This isnt a worry. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.