FAW

Pakistan, Form I-130 and Form I-485

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello - 

I married my husband in Pakistan.  We would now like to move forward and bring him to the USA.  I don’t want to move to or live in Pakistan.  I’m aware that we may have a long haul because of the country he is from, the poor system they have there to run background and criminal record/terrorist checks.  I have heard we may go into AP for a while.  My questions are:

1.) Regardless — Is it wise and feasible to file a  I-130 in combination with a I-485 in spite of this all?  

2.). Can he apply for a Visitor’s Visa to come see me in the USA while we wait?  Does it help his Visitor’s  Visa case that we are pending the approval of the I-130?

Any experience with this?  Thank you!😊

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Why would you need an I-485

Experience from “not Pakistan” was visitor visa was DOA probably before Nita got to the counter.  At least it was a polite no.

I expect Pakistan to be the same or worse.

Edited by Nitas_man

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
7 minutes ago, FAW said:

Hello - 

I married my husband in Pakistan.  We would now like to move forward and bring him to the USA.  I don’t want to move to or live in Pakistan.  I’m aware that we may have a long haul because of the country he is from, the poor system they have there to run background and criminal record/terrorist checks.  I have heard we may go into AP for a while.  My questions are:

1.) Regardless — Is it wise and feasible to file a  I-130 in combination with a I-485 in spite of this all?  

2.). Can he apply for a Visitor’s Visa to come see me in the USA while we wait?  Does it help his Visitor’s  Visa case that we are pending the approval of the I-130?

Any experience with this?  Thank you!😊

1 minute ago, Nitas_man said:

Why would you need an I-485

I thought I read that doing this is like killing two birds with one stone.  Get the spousal visa and adjustment of status together.  

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
Just now, FAW said:

I thought I read that doing this is like killing two birds with one stone.  Get the spousal visa and adjustment of status together.  

An I130/spousal immigrant visa is for a spouse who lives outside the US

An I130/I485 is for a spouse who already lives in the US

10 minutes ago, FAW said:

Is it wise and feasible to file a  I-130 in combination with a I-485 in spite of this all?  

You can only file the I-485 if he is in the US.

File the I-130 and follow the instructions.

12 minutes ago, FAW said:

Can he apply for a Visitor’s Visa to come see me in the USA while we wait?

Yes but. . .

4 minutes ago, FAW said:

Does it help his Visitor’s  Visa case that we are pending the approval of the I-130?

No - it does not help.  In fact it can work against him in that he has already shown immigrant intent.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

7 minutes ago, FAW said:

Thank you for clarifying.  So, the only thing to do now is file the I-130 and be thorough and patient.  

Yes that is the only way.

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, FAW said:

looks like I will be visiting Pakistan until we can get through this.  

Correct.  For clarity, the visa you seek results in the "status" (upon entry to the US) that the spouse or other intending immigrant would "adjust to" from inside the US, so no "adjustment" needed.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
20 hours ago, FAW said:

looks like I will be visiting Pakistan until we can get 

file i130 with affidavit  of support nd all other proofs like pictures boarding pass flight tickets nd some Facebook or WhatsApp chat nd dont apply for visit Visa it will go against him cuz u guys are already married nd about AP it's up to his state where he is living in Pakistan nd other fact is his name don't worry be positive just start the process ...

best of luck

2 minutes ago, moneeb Iqbal said:

file i130 with affidavit  of support nd all other proofs like pictures boarding pass flight tickets nd some Facebook or WhatsApp chat nd dont apply for visit Visa it will go against him cuz u guys are already married nd about AP it's up to his state where he is living in Pakistan nd other fact is his name don't worry be positive just start the process ...

best of luck

Affidavit of Support is not submitted with the I-130. It is submitted at NVC...likely in or near 2021 at this point.

No harm in applying for a tourist visa, although it is very unlikely to get approved.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

1 hour ago, moneeb Iqbal said:

ile i130 with affidavit  of support

OP:   No need for the I-864 yet.   Follow the instructions in the guides https://www.visajourney.com/ir1-spouse-visa-overview/

21 hours ago, FAW said:

looks like I will be visiting Pakistan until we can get through this.

Good if it is just a visit.  If you move there be aware of the domicile requirements that need to be met prior to his visa being issued.  Make sure you have a plan for the I-864 prior to it getting to the NVC.

22 hours ago, FAW said:

Thank you for clarifying.  So, the only thing to do now is file the I-130 and be thorough and patient.  

Yes.  He will not get a visitor's visa from Pakistan, especially with a pending I-130 petition.

There are lots and lots of threads here on VJ about the unique challenges for immigration from Pakistan.  I suggest you thoroughly read them so that you can avoid potential pitfalls and extra delays.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Well we know nothing about him or his situation and yes the people we tend to see on VJ have weak cases, however I would not say it is impossible to get a visitors visa, does not cost much to apply, when things open up.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.