SteveInBostonI130

I-864 Do I need a Joint Sponsor if Unemployed/Furloughed

27 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

I am currently furloughed due to the Covid-19 crisis.  There is a chance I will still be furloughed or unemployed at the time I need to submit the I-864.  I have more than sufficient income for the past 3 years, have a good savings account balance (almost 3x the threshold) and have actually earned above the poverty threshold for 2020 before I was furloughed, when adding in unemployment insurance income.

Would I need to have a joint sponsor?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
4 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Ok...

Isn't income from 2020 my current income?  

Unemployment would be counted as current income

With that said it makes overcoming public charge difficult

Timeline

Prior to being furloughed, I earned a little over $20,000.  With UI, the income would be about $45k for 2020.  I hope to be off UI and back working before needing to submit the I-864, but in the worst case scenario I will be submitting the above income data.  Will NVC insist that I have a current job, or will the above be enough?  I can ask someone to be a JS as a last resort, but I hope to avoid it if possible.

This is for a household size of 2, including my spouse beneficiary, fyi.

UC does technically qualify as income, although do not expect a CO to believe it will satisfy overcoming the the public charge issue given it's fixed duration and such.

I can't say if NVC will let it pass and let the CO make that call, or if they will issue a checklist...these are unique times.

I would suggest having a joint sponsor, at least for NVC. If you resume employment and that meets the criteria later, you can present a new I-864 at the visa interview.

Although with a little over $20k alone would generally highly suggest a joint sponsor anyway. You simply can't actually live on that w/o gov assistance in the US.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
36 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Prior to being furloughed, I earned a little over $20,000.  With UI, the income would be about $45k for 2020.  I hope to be off UI and back working before needing to submit the I-864, but in the worst case scenario I will be submitting the above income data.  Will NVC insist that I have a current job, or will the above be enough?  I can ask someone to be a JS as a last resort, but I hope to avoid it if possible.

This is for a household size of 2, including my spouse beneficiary, fyi.

Do you mean you earned 20k YTD or your salary is 20k? If you salary is a little over 20k then a join sponsor is definitely recommended. 

Keep in mind the minimums are just that. Being over doesnt mean that the officer wont ask for a JS. They evaluate the totality of the case

Timeline
34 minutes ago, designguy said:

Do you mean you earned 20k YTD or your salary is 20k? If you salary is a little over 20k then a join sponsor is definitely recommended. 

Keep in mind the minimums are just that. Being over doesnt mean that the officer wont ask for a JS. They evaluate the totality of the case

Hello,

That is my YTD to March 20.  Annual salary is not an issue.

3 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

That is my YTD to March 20.  Annual salary is not an issue.

Ah, YTD doesn't matter. Annual income (what you earn in a 12 month period) is what matters. Unemployed today (minus any UC) would have a current income of $0. Employed in Decemeber at $50k/year means a current income of $50k/year.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Anything before today is NOT "current".  Current income, for the "employed" is calculated by taking the gross income for a full pay period times the number of pay periods in a full year.

If you made 100k last year and 40K already this year, but are not working TODAY (currently) then your current income is ZERO.  Sure, you can count your unemployment but it is not considered as something that will be there long term to support you and your spouse.

On the other side of that coin, if you start a new job today at 50k a year, your current income is 50k,

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
2 hours ago, pushbrk said:

Anything before today is NOT "current".  Current income, for the "employed" is calculated by taking the gross income for a full pay period times the number of pay periods in a full year.

If you made 100k last year and 40K already this year, but are not working TODAY (currently) then your current income is ZERO.  Sure, you can count your unemployment but it is not considered as something that will be there long term to support you and your spouse.

On the other side of that coin, if you start a new job today at 50k a year, your current income is 50k,

Thank you.  Along with Geowrian's post, is the information I needed to know.

Edited by SteveInBostonI130

Timeline
7 minutes ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Thank you.  Along with Geowrian's post, is the information I needed to know.

So the day you go back to work, your current income is whatever it will be for twelve months at your current rate.  It really IS that simple.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

16 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Hello,

I am currently furloughed due to the Covid-19 crisis.  There is a chance I will still be furloughed or unemployed at the time I need to submit the I-864.  I have more than sufficient income for the past 3 years, have a good savings account balance (almost 3x the threshold) and have actually earned above the poverty threshold for 2020 before I was furloughed, when adding in unemployment insurance income.

Would I need to have a joint sponsor?

even if you dont need a co sponsor, you should add one or two. it works in your favor. 

Timeline
4 hours ago, Khevinox said:

even if you dont need a co sponsor, you should add one or two. it works in your favor. 

Ugg.  There are no "co sponsors" in immigrant visa cases, and in spouse visa case, there can be only ONE "joint sponsor".

Have you actually read the I-864, the contract part?  Would you, yourself sign that, if it wasn't absolutely necessary?  

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~4 posts removed for derailing thread. Stick to answering the OP. When one does not know the answer it is best to let others offer advice. Giving the wrong information can cause even more confusion.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.